TX vs. GA. & CA the Carnivore Challenge

DevilDog

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Thanks bro.  I'm about to.up grade and might go with a vehicle smoker instead.  Saw the Traegar while looking.  I heard it was easy.  That takes the fun out of Smoking 

My main smoker is propane fueled but uses wood chips. Easy to use on long cooks. Fill it up and check on it 6-10 hrs later... I like the versatility of vertical smokers 

https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-DGW1235BDP-D-Wide-Body-Smoker/dp/B010759G2A/ref=asc_df_B010759G2A/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141575819&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12126406457711578346&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1013665&hvtargid=pla-274174018203&psc=1&th=1

This is the one I bought and it’s been good 5-6 years so far. Just had to replace the door lock hinge

11 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Do any of you gents have a pellet smoker and if so how good are they as smokers?

I  bought a pellet smoker and will never go back to conventional. Didnt buy the cheapest, but Ive had smoked meats off of expensive ones, and cheap ones. I cant tell the difference in taste.

When you buy an expensive one, you're basically paying for quality materials (like anything else, there are major differences in  material used)  and build. I did alot of video watching on YouTube before I bought. Plus I know someone that has a Memphis. Lots of good videos on pellet smokers.

From what Ive seen and read about Traegers, they are overpriced and have had a lot of issues.

I love the "set it and forget it" feature. More time to sit around telling war stories and drinking quality IPA's. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rockinl said:

I  bought a pellet smoker and will never go back to conventional. Didnt buy the cheapest, but Ive had smoked meats off of expensive ones, and cheap ones. I cant tell the difference in taste.

When you buy an expensive one, you're basically paying for quality materials (like anything else, there are major differences in  material used)  and build. I did alot of video watching on YouTube before I bought. Plus I know someone that has a Memphis. Lots of good videos on pellet smokers.

From what Ive seen and read about Traegers, they are overpriced and have had a lot of issues.

I love the "set it and forget it" feature. More time to sit around telling war stories and drinking quality IPA's. 

I heard they didn't add as much smoke as conventional ones.  I will do some YouTube research on them

19 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Do any of you gents have a pellet smoker and if so how good are they as smokers?

I had an offset charcoal/wood drum smoker forever. But I got a WSM as a gift about a year ago. I held out for a long time and was skeptical. But now I’m a huge proponent of the WSM, it’s awesome. It’s a Weber, I put it right there with a Remington 870 for simplicity and reliability!  

My buddy just got a WSM said he’s putting his cover on his pellet smoker. He had a Traeger but said he’s going back to charcoal and wood. 

I acquired my WSM from my FIL who got a Traeger. He doesn’t like it, but won’t take back his WSM. I’m not a pellet guy, but that’s not to say there is anything wrong with them. I just like the idea of managing a pit/fire. 

Some beef jerky I just took off!

8BC3A928-6A0A-4917-845A-207E0FF7C963.jpeg

1808F51E-CF27-44D6-8AC2-C3F34805D7BA.jpeg

4BB07AE5-7931-4751-B7A2-67087C0863D3.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

14 lb whole beef ribeye smoked few days ago was amazing seasoned with Traeger's prime rib rub, pepper and kosher salt...

Some ribs from today, one with Kosmos Q Killer bee rub ( my favorite for ribs right now ) , the other with Bad Byron’s butt rub and third with a rub from Hawaii I picked up on vacation called Da kind Smokey flavor. They were finished with homemade “jams” Blackberry and Carolina reaper , next was Apricot with Habaneros and third was a cherry with Ghost peppers and jalapeños...

A5142FE1-D53A-46CA-B2E8-C4F94D383822.png

7D894BB2-F7F4-432A-B9C2-25A5ADD9B9E1.jpeg

DA897BA9-2BBD-429E-BD13-922BD2F79B1D.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DevilDog said:

@HawgGoneIt @BUFORDGAWOLVES.  This Roswell, Alpharetta area is very nice.  Reminds me of Collin County.  With that said is this unique to Jawjaa. Never had it or seen it b4.  I bought one.  Is it any 👍?

20190722_210031.jpg

Big time favorite of my cheesehead in-laws or out-laws. Anything Yuengling is good for them.

BGW

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Damn decided to hit the smoker 1st time in 2020 Bone in Turkey Breast, 2 small beef roasts [1st time ever smoking a roast] and small beef ribs.  This virus is causing me to find time to waste.

20200405_160136.jpg

And got a brother watching hatchet tossing on ESPN in the den. Lol😁

20200405_160456.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

Damn decided to hit the smoker 1st time in 2020 Bone in Turkey Breast, 2 small beef roasts [1st time ever smoking a roast] and small beef ribs.  This virus is causing me to find time to waste.

20200405_160136.jpg

20200405_160456.jpg

Good beef ribs hard to get. Take forever to smoke also. It all looking good! 

Made some posole yesterday. You wouldn’t eat it but it’s damn good. Could substitute beef roast instead of pork butt. 

5C53696B-E728-4339-901C-2C8663F810E1.jpeg

4EFD2F34-18E5-4329-8DC2-F3B2369B5B96.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NorCalRuss said:

Made some posole yesterday. You wouldn’t eat it but it’s damn good. Could substitute beef roast instead of pork butt. 

5C53696B-E728-4339-901C-2C8663F810E1.jpeg

4EFD2F34-18E5-4329-8DC2-F3B2369B5B96.jpeg

Bro your recipes are always on point.  Indeed I would substitute with beef.  Looking good and glad to see you're safe my friend.  Stay safe and blessed.  Posole I see ya getting all cultural on a brotha.  #respectyachow4sho.  Looks good

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorCalRuss said:

[...]

We're big fans of pozole. My wife's stepmother is Mexican. 

Lookin' good, as always.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 9:03 PM, DevilDog said:

@HawgGoneIt @BUFORDGAWOLVES.  This Roswell, Alpharetta area is very nice.  Reminds me of Collin County.  With that said is this unique to Jawjaa. Never had it or seen it b4.  I bought one.  Is it any 👍?

20190722_210031.jpg

Just an FYI...That Golden Pilsner is not what they do best (and it's probably what they do least)...

Walk into any bar around Philly and say "gimme a Lager", no bartender would ever ask you what kind of Lager...

Apparently....there is only one? 🤣

Have you have ever walked into a bar and seen a couple hundred women all drinking 'Dark' beer? 😲

It's kind of shocking 😄

5 hours ago, DevilDog said:

20200405_160136.jpg

20200405_160456.jpg

How did it turn out? 

3 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Outstanding.  The finish.  I will smoke roasts from now on.  The roast is ridiculous.  Check the smoke ring on the rib

20200405_221640.jpg

20200405_221700.jpg

Beef ribs look perfect! Look juicy and I’m assuming you went long smoke with that great smoke ring and bark also. Turkey looks good also. Roasts always good smoked! You been hiding them skills this whole time. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NorCalRuss said:

Beef ribs look perfect! Look juicy and I’m assuming you went long smoke with that great smoke ring and bark also. Turkey looks good also. Roasts always good smoked! You been hiding them skills this whole time. 

Bro you always bring it.  8hrs at 225 degrees. Wrapped ribs after 4.5 hrs and wrapped roasts at 165 degrees pulled at 20p.  1st time smoking roasts.  Really good. Will put on electric slicer and great roast beef sandwiches.  

• Like 2