TX vs. GA. & CA the Carnivore Challenge

DevilDog

30 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Bro i got a feeling this damn thread gonna be fire (pun intended)  next I will post some gadgets. I appreciate the heck out of you guys bringing it. @NorCalRuss definitely got Cali out front in the early part of the season but best believe old DD coming hard over the coming months. Smoked Cinnabons damn Left Coast snippy people.🤣 @HawgGoneIt broke out dem peaches after I dropped the Longhorns in the pasture.  I see Ya Jawjaa I see Ya.  In da Bovine State you can get Choice B20190601_232258.thumb.jpg.84d10afb88eec7c814aed34c934eb39a.jpgrisket for less than 2 bones a lb. 

20190601_232242.thumb.jpg.4dc65ec7b6e38ab21d487dd83965fa82.jpg

20190601_232246.jpg

Damn!!! That’s hella cheap for that brisket. Can’t go wrong with that deal. 

I got some shit in the works about to bust out with. Not typical smoke bbq but been doing some planning for the 36 inch griddle. Got to try a few things. 

Daughter wants a party all of a sudden for 17th bday so I may smoke 100 lbs plus of meat very soon... Go big or go home and a variety of species! 

What does Texas use for wood most often with brisket? Oak? My fav is Hickory and Pecan. 

11 hours ago, NorCalRuss said:

Damn!!! That’s hella cheap for that brisket. Can’t go wrong with that deal. 

I got some shit in the works about to bust out with. Not typical smoke bbq but been doing some planning for the 36 inch griddle. Got to try a few things. 

Daughter wants a party all of a sudden for 17th bday so I may smoke 100 lbs plus of meat very soon... Go big or go home and a variety of species! 

What does Texas use for wood most often with brisket? Oak? My fav is Hickory and Pecan. 

Hickory 1st and Oak 2nd. 

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

Nothing near as healthy as that. Who snuck those Castorville artichokes in there lol. Looks delicious.

Haha, Keto approved! 

I actually did the chokes for me and the kids. Wife don’t like them. Had to make her some coleslaw...

Boiled them in garlic water first then put on griddle with olive oil, garlic butter and pepper. 

My burger consisted of tillamook black cheese, bacon, linguica, jalapeño artichoke spread wrapped in 🥬.... 👌

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Troll said:

ABSOLUTELY  !!!....

Can we get some bluefin Tuna steaks?

MMMmmmmm….

I will tell you what tho, them peaches on the Q looked knockout 👊

There's an art to blackening fish on a grill.

We grill trout, reds. snapper and etc............you can fuck that up in a matter of minutes.

Meat, just throw it on the grill and he-man it like you want it....chances are it will be good however you do it. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

There’s some smoked Sturgeon and blackened mahi mahi for ya...

7EC973FA-82EE-4302-BB40-B86A03A61D44.png

F1DEF036-5EB1-4F27-88D1-5E5A00E1069F.jpeg

Well Mahi is always good, but I gotta check out that Sturgeon...

Big fish make big steaks 😁

and just like that big eye, those Sturgeins can get bigger than steer 🤣

One big difference tho….It's all prime fillet 👍

Those Asparagus look fresh too....funny thing about them...

hated them until I moved here, where they cut em to order.....

Fresh cut are entirely different animals....and they don't taste anything like any other asparagus.

Have no idea why the difference is SO striking....but that's an awesome looking platter. 👍     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troll said:

Well Mahi is always good, but I gotta check out that Sturgeon...

Big fish make big steaks 😁

and just like that big eye, those Sturgeins can get bigger than steer 🤣

One big difference tho….It's all prime fillet 👍

Those Asparagus look fresh too....funny thing about them...

hated them until I moved here, where they cut em to order.....

Fresh cut are entirely different animals....and they don't taste anything like any other asparagus.

Have no idea why the difference is SO striking....but that's an awesome looking platter. 👍     

If your ever want to go fishing in Bay Area, my buddy does daily trips. Sturgeon, cod, shark, bass, salmon, whatever. Joe Gamez of GoldenGate sport fishing. He has lot of videos on Facebook  

Sturgeon get over 10 feet in the area. We caught one out of Suisun over 10 feet aprox 300 lbs. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Thats a heckuva smoker.  Is it homemade? Nice

No, it’s a Timberline 1300 series Traeger. It’s my buddies, it was  $2000 and he got it from a friend that’s an Ambassador for them. I’m not a Traeger fan and damn sure not spending 2k on one! I have a a  ptg Traeger I picked up on the cheap but my main smoker is a DynaGlo extra large vertical smoker. 

26 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

No, it’s a Timberline 1300 series Traeger. It’s my buddies, it was  $2000 and he got it from a friend that’s an Ambassador for them. I’m not a Traeger fan and damn sure not spending 2k on one! I have a a  ptg Traeger I picked up on the cheap but my main smoker is a DynaGlo extra large vertical smoker. 

The Traeger is a pellet smoker isn't it.  Yeah 2K is out of my pay grade as well.  I got a &189.00 chargriller same as @hawgGoneit.  I did some modifications on it and u know older yhe better.  Hell it's 7yrs old.   I also have a 40inch Masterbuilt electric smoker when i don't feel like stoking fires every hr.  But the heating element just burned out on it which I've discovered is an issue in them.  But only $37 for the part.  

How good does those pellet smokers work?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

You ain't lying....

Time to fire up the smoker and grill this weekend....

Oak, Hickory, foil, thermometer, rub and meats....

Grill super hot for the sear and the smoker to bring her around moist....

Yes, I'm talking about her,

BGW

Bro hurry up and post some protein 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

You ain't lying....

Time to fire up the smoker and grill this weekend....

Oak, Hickory, foil, thermometer, rub and meats....

Grill super hot for the sear and the smoker to bring her around moist....

Yes, I'm talking about her,

BGW

Bro hurry up and post some protein 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

The Traeger is a pellet smoker isn't it.  Yeah 2K is out of my pay grade as well.  I got a &189.00 chargriller same as @hawgGoneit.  I did some modifications on it and u know older yhe better.  Hell it's 7yrs old.   I also have a 40inch Masterbuilt electric smoker when i don't feel like stoking fires every hr.  But the heating element just burned out on it which I've discovered is an issue in them.  But only $37 for the part.  

I almost bought that electric smoker for jerky but didn’t end up getting it.

His works pretty damn good and yes it’s pellets which can be bought pretty cheap at times ... as it should for the cost. I actually like his but not most other Traegers. Just don’t see it’s worth spending $2k. If you like lot of smoke you need add a smoke tube with Traeger's. 

I like the smoker I have because a large aluminum tray fits in racks perfectly and there’s six shelf’s so you can do a variety of cooks at same time. I paid $349 and it’s anout 6-7 years old. Only had to replace the hinges a few times which DynaGlo sent for free.

I use a huge 6 burner  CharBroil propane grill also often for certain meats that taste better over flames and for searing. 

Also have the Traeger PTG, old school Weber, Blackstone 36 inch Griddle and 3 smaller propane tailgaters-camping bbqs. 

We go to sporting events, concerts, lake, beach camp often so we use them all.

I have even more ice chests than bbqs. Haha, seems like every Xmas, bday, etc that’s what Santa brings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

The Santa Fe grill is my next endeavor. This is my buddies and you can do lot of variety on it. Top pic is my 6 burner propane. It can hold good amount of food

06212EB0-0240-4CCE-9B66-9D5F7791D029.jpeg

AD85DF2B-66D7-460C-9664-4EEAA2B97353.jpeg

4 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

The Santa Fe grill is my next endeavor. This is my buddies and you can do lot of variety on it. Top pic is my 6 burner propane. It can hold good amount of food

06212EB0-0240-4CCE-9B66-9D5F7791D029.jpeg

AD85DF2B-66D7-460C-9664-4EEAA2B97353.jpeg

Santa Fe grill??? That’s a Santa Maria grill my friend. Geez NCR, I can’t believe you just said that 😂!

https://www.yodersmokers.com/backyard-cookers.html

Durango 20" or 24", can't decide... I do know the vertical chamber will be used for fowl, fish etc....

The fire box for grilling steaks and of course the offset chamber for ribs..

I like to sear my steaks fast and super hot north of 750' and then let it rest in a smoker at 180' to finish, then maybe a slice of butter off the smoker to really rest before serving, all depends on the marbling in the steak, if it has good marbling... don't need the butter..

Nothing like it and yes, it's expensive but my better half uses it as a bargaining chip to get other things done. Women are evil, man....

I like "equipment"... you know what I mean....

Regards,

BGW

• Haha 1