Journalism Dead - great article by Victor Davis Hanson

concha

10 minutes ago, concha said:

Because continuing to let China fuck us raw in trade and intellectual property theft is the way to proceed.

We will see how it goes.  He will have to actually earn the praise with me.  This could potentially fall apart and send us into a recession, something risk analysis may have pointed to. As of today, it’s not looking  good.  

7 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

We will see how it goes.  He will have to actually earn the praise with me.  This could potentially fall apart and send us into a recession, something risk analysis may have pointed to. As of today, it’s not looking  good.  

And last quarter's GDP growth was expected to be nowhere near 3%+.

When is the best time to challenge international trade cheats (something this president deserves major kudos for, as several predecessors on both sides have been completely AWOL)?  When our economy is weak? Or when it is strong?

He's not only got things going well short term, he's also giving a shit about the mid-to-long term.  Refreshing and needed.

• Like 1

Just now, concha said:

And last quarter's GDP growth was expected t be nowhere near 3%+.

When is the best time to challenge international trade cheats (something this president deserves major kudos for, as several predecessors on both sides have been completely AWOL)?  When our economy is weak? Or when it is strong?

He's not only got things going well short term, he's also giving a shit about the mid-to-long term.  Refreshing and needed.

Like I said we will see.  Tariffs can negatively impact us through higher prices, lost jobs and a declining stock market.  We will see how these are affected in the next few months.  No need to give a  daily report on each and prematurely declare victory. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

Like I said we will see.  Tariffs can negatively impact us through higher prices, lost jobs and a declining stock market.  We will see how these are affected in the next few months.  No need to give a  daily report on each and prematurely declare victory. 

We will.

I for one am willing to make some sacrifices now for the greater good over the long term.

Letting China fuck us has gone on too long.

Trump is being a leader and an adult. He knows the left will harp on the markets and any effects on GDP growth in the near term. He's thinking of his country and not his short term political situation.

Anyone here think Hillary would have what it takes to make these moves?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, concha said:

https://amgreatness.com/2019/05/12/the-media-wounded/

A great mind backing up his thesis with actual facts and evidence.

"american greatness", huh?

This shit just never gets old to some people..

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/american-greatness/

RIGHT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

• Overall, we rate American Greatness Right biased based on story selection that favors the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources.

8 minutes ago, concha said:

We will.

I for one am willing to make some sacrifices now for the greater good over the long term.

Letting China fuck us has gone on too long.

Trump is being a leader and an adult. He knows the left will harp on the markets and any effects on GDP growth in the near term. He's thinking of his country and not his short term political situation.

Anyone here think Hillary would have what it takes to make these moves?

That’s interesting you are willing to make a sacrifice. Who do you think is more influenced by appeasing a political base in order to stay in office, trump or Jinping? The one who has more to lose politically will be the one to blink first. 

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

That’s interesting you are willing to make a sacrifice. Who do you think is more influenced by appeasing a political base in order to stay in office, trump or Jinping? The one who has more to lose politically will be the one to blink first. 

Leaving things status quo with China is arguably the easy and most near-term politically beneficial move.

Xi Jinping appears to have a pretty firm grip over there, but as an export dependent economy they probably have greater risk of suffering than we do.  We have alternatives to source from if it comes to that.  There is only one market the size of the USA.

Just now, concha said:

Leaving things status quo with China is arguably the easy and most near-term politically beneficial move.

Xi Jinping appears to have a pretty firm grip over there, but as an export dependent economy they probably have greater risk of suffering than we do.  We have alternatives to source from if it comes to that.  There is only one market the size of the USA.

But as a leader he loses nothing to allow his people sacrifice short term to appeal to their long term strategic goals, Just as you stated you are willing to do. 

Just now, Horsefly said:

But as a leader he loses nothing to allow his people sacrifice short term to appeal to their long term strategic goals, Just as you stated you are willing to do. 

Again,  we have alternatives in the mid-to-long term.

They do not.

And while he has consolidated power there it remains to be seen if he has done so like a Mao or Castro.

1 minute ago, concha said:

Or we could just wait and let China enjoy ridiculous trade imbalances and practices until the end of time.

Pick one.

No., we continue to renegotiate like we have been and let the current tariffs take a longer term effect instead of brashly raising them 

Just now, concha said:

I'm sure the gradual wet noodle approach would be effective.

Or not.

I’m sure the “lets see how quickly we can go into a recession “ approach can be effective too.  Tariffs were so effective under Bush.  I wonder if trump studies and reads history?  

5 hours ago, concha said:

Virtually the entirety of the major, traditional media complex in this country leans left.

That is the issue/problem.

ABC/CBS/NBC/PBS/NPR/MSNBC/CNN (reaching some 25M-30M households per night vs maybe 3M-4M for Fox News' top shows)... virtually every major metropolitan newspaper...

And he is not talking about "pundits".  He is talking about "journalists" and "reporters". These are supposed to be professionals who dispassionately give us just the facts ma'am. Who, what, when, where, why and how.  And - as mentioned in the article - not the just the WWWWWH that fits the agenda.

As you may or may not know, I worked for Florida Today and USA Today for over 30 years. I watched as the media started turning Liberal when Bush Sr. Ran for office. It may have started before but I didnl't see it so much. When Clinton won, the newsroom celebrated because their man was elected. I wittnessed reporters go nuts when Bush Jr. was elected. 

I think the turning point for USA Today was when Al Newhert sold the paper. It seems to have progressively gotten worse over the years.   

I know journalist. I know they believe they do what is right. I also know that they lean left and sometimes leave fair reporting out of an opinion. Let me know the last time some of you have sat in a newsroom during an election.

And for what it is worth. Getting dirt on any politician is gold to a reporter.

• Like 4

On 5/13/2019 at 5:03 PM, Cat_Scratch said:

As you may or may not know, I worked for Florida Today and USA Today for over 30 years. I watched as the media started turning Liberal when Bush Sr. Ran for office. It may have started before but I didnl't see it so much. When Clinton won, the newsroom celebrated because their man was elected. I wittnessed reporters go nuts when Bush Jr. was elected. 

I think the turning point for USA Today was when Al Newhert sold the paper. It seems to have progressively gotten worse over the years.   

I know journalist. I know they believe they do what is right. I also know that they lean left and sometimes leave fair reporting out of an opinion. Let me know the last time some of you have sat in a newsroom during an election.

And for what it is worth. Getting dirt on any politician is gold to a reporter.

I think there is a similar trend in academia, though maybe for different reasons. There is a certain skepticism about truth and reality, that these categories are determined by politics and power; and for those reasons, the value of an idea is not to be determined by how closely it represents reality but by how much good it does for some group or other. We don't ask, "Is it true?" Instead, we ask "Would it be good (or bad) for women or people of color etc. if people believed it?" It's scary stuff, since that's the sort of thing that's being taught to a good chunk of our 18-22 year olds. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I think there is a similar trend in academia, though maybe for different reasons. There is a certain skepticism about truth and reality, that these categories are determined by politics and power; and for those reasons, the value of an idea is not to be determined by how closely it represents reality but by how much good it does for some group or other. We don't ask, "Is it true?" Instead, we ask "Would it be good (or bad) for women or people of color etc. if people believed it?" It's scary stuff, since that's the sort of thing that's being taught to a good chunk of our 18-22 year olds. 

the highlighted is well put....

idealist vs realist...

Idealists must become realists once they step out in the real world tho...unless apparently they make academia their career ... 

Some kids get so f'd up and non-trusting when they realize the goods they have been sold, that they now think the earth has to be flat because they 'must' be lying again.....🤔

sometimes 'honesty is the best policy'.....

• Like 2