Why do intelligent people believe HS polls (Guessing)?

rockinl

What say you?

Ive always said its just basically guessing since the top teams rarely if ever play one another. I'll stick by that.

Shouldnt championships be decided on the field, and not by a bunch of desk jockeys?

Other than getting a bunch of internet fanboys into year long arguments that never end, what's the point?

Rankings are so easy a caveman can do it. All you have to do is rank the teams who return a decent amount of starters from teams who finished highly ranked the year before. And it's the usual suspects. It doesn't take an expert like Dallas Jackson to tell you teams like Mater Dei, Gorman, STA, Dematha, SJB, etc are gonna be national powers. 

Then you find the teams who did pretty good and return a lot. You already know who is gonna be good. Florida for example will have the usual suspects just like every other state. STA, AHP, Miami Central, Booker T, Cocoa ;) Mainland, Dr Phillips, Deer Jerkey, Bolles, Jax TC, etc etc. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Drummer61 said:

What is a better way and how do you choose the best  teams to play ??  Max Preps and Cal Preps appear the ones who do it. Why not start you own and explain how to do it.

Why do we need one at all? Best teams to play? That's what districts and state Championships are for. 

5 hours ago, rockinl said:

What say you?

Ive always said its just basically guessing since the top teams rarely if ever play one another. I'll stick by that.

Shouldnt championships be decided on the field, and not by a bunch of desk jockeys?

Other than getting a bunch of internet fanboys into year long arguments that never end, what's the point?

Polls are just for entertainment. 

A. Theres no way to know. 

B. There is no Set #1, #2, #3, #4... where 1 will always beat 2, 3, and 4... and 2 will always beat 3 and 4 ... and 3 will always beat 4.

#4 may be able to beat #1 but not #2 or #3... #3 may be able to beat #2 but lose to #4... it literally is nothing but educated guessing. All teams have different strengths and weaknesses and will do better or worse vs certain teams. Theres no clear ranking, where the higher ranked team will always win.

Its just for entertainment. The ONLY thing that matters are State Championships , as those are won on the field.

7 minutes ago, rockinl said:

Nope I didn't. I don't consider them or IMG legit HS teams. Football factories don't apply in my opinion. 

Well, there you go: some of us want to know how good a Bishop Gorman or a Bellevue is relative to other programs in the country. 

Districts and state championships don't tell us much. 

15 hours ago, rockinl said:

What say you?

WHERE is there an intelligent person?O.o Uncle Rush attempted to form a four team playoff in the recent past, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, there were 10,000 excuses as to why they couldn't participate!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Well, there you go: some of us want to know how good a Bishop Gorman or a Bellevue is relative to other programs in the country. 

Districts and state championships don't tell us much. 

Let um try playing with playas who are actually from their city, and not the entire Western US!