Marvin Hagler the greatest welterweight champion of all time!

Hagler was a beast. Didn’t call him marvelous for nothing. Probably the best middleweight ever.

As far as that fight goes, neither fighter had a very good fight honestly. They shoulda called it a draw and did a do-over. 

Now Hagler-Hearns?!!!! That was the best 3+ rounds of boxing that you’ll see. And Hearns fought the final 2 rounds with a broken hand! Sugar Ray couldn’t have pulled that type of fight off at all let alone 3+ rounds. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Hagler was a beast. Didn’t call him marvelous for nothing. Probably the best middleweight ever.

As far as that fight goes, neither fighter had a very good fight honestly. They shoulda called it a draw and did a do-over. 

Now Hagler-Hearns?!!!! That was the best 3+ rounds of boxing that you’ll see. And Hearns fought the final 2 rounds with a broken hand! Sugar Ray couldn’t have pulled that type of fight off at all let alone 3+ rounds. 

As much as I agree with your assessment, hagler had to chase Leonard for the entire fight. The first Hearnes Leonard fight was epic, it forced sugar ray to fight! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotBigdaddybloom said:

As much as I agree with your assessment, hagler had to chase Leonard for the entire fight. The first Hearnes Leonard fight was epic, it forced sugar ray to fight! 

True. Hagler had to chase. Leonard really wanted no part of him. Shoulda been a draw, and then Sugar Ray woulda had to rematch. I remember Hagler being visibly disgusted at SRL and the ultimate decision. Dude was hosed at best. 

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

The only Sugar Man.  Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest Middleweight of all time.

Peace

173-19 for his career. 108 knockouts. Dude fought nearly 200 times! He’s actually the reason that the term “pound for pound” was coined. You’ve got an argument. 

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of Hagler, but Sugar Ray Robinson is widely regarded as the greatest boxer of all time. In his first 10 years as a pro, he went 101-1-2 and would avenge his only loss to Jake LaMotta 5 times over; and in his rematch against Basor, the first guy who fought him to a draw, Sugar Ray knocked him out in 50 seconds; and from '43-'51 he fought 91 times without losing.

Maybe his middleweight career wasn't as impressive as his welterweight career, but as great as Hagler was, I still gotta think that Robinson was the greater middleweight.

When asked whether he was the greater of the two Sugar Rays, Leonard simply answered, "No." I know that doesn't prove anything, but it's something.  

Fight footage starts about a minute in. He had devastating power in both hands.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I'm a big fan of Hagler, but Sugar Ray Robinson is widely regarded as the greatest boxer of all time. In his first 10 years as a pro, he went 101-1-2 and would avenge his only loss to Jake LaMotta 5 times over; and in his rematch against Basor, the first guy who fought him to a draw, Sugar Ray knocked him out in 50 seconds; and from '43-'51 he fought 91 times without losing.

Maybe his middleweight career wasn't as impressive as his welterweight career, but as great as Hagler was, I still gotta think that Robinson was the greater middleweight.

When asked whether he was the greater of the two Sugar Rays, Leonard simply answered, "No." I know that doesn't prove anything, but it's something.  

Fight footage starts about a minute in. He had devastating power in both hands.

That was a bad man!! But is it me or was he fighting the same dude over and over🤣 😜

• Like 1

Routed for Sugar Ray Leonard as a kid....

and don't think I can change your mind...Hagler was better that night...

As Far as Sugar Ray vs Sugar Ray, the whole Modern Athlete vs Historical Athlete may or may not apply to boxing, but it reminded me of this clip...

some interesting points with regards to Athletes today (and yesterday)...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blueliner said:

They might pay me 1000.00 to fight Sugar. I’d PAY 1100.00 to not have to get in the ring with him😳🤣

I can get knocked out as easy as those guys in the vid above...and for less money too. 

Given the skill set difference between  fighters of those two era's I have to say the 2nd Sugar is better.  And I think if you had to train and fight them the 2nd Sugar would be harder to game plan for.

How would Haggler do against the fighters back in Sugar era?  

Hagler also won the fight.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, World Citizen said:

I can get knocked out as easy as those guys in the vid above...and for less money too. 

Given the skill set difference between  fighters of those two era's I have to say the 2nd Sugar is better.  And I think if you had to train and fight them the 2nd Sugar would be harder to game plan for.

Hagler's toughest fight wasn't Hearn.  That was the most exciting.  John the Beast Mugabi gave Marvin hell.  Hagler was a great fighter.  Mugabe tougher than frozen beef Jerky.  Just Brutal.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

Hagler’s strength would far exceed fighters of that era just simple by supplementation and advances in training and conditioning. I think if you transported Hagler back to 1940, he would be hard to beat by anybody. Including SRR. But I think it’s be a hell of a fight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Hagler's toughest fight wasn't Hearn.  That was the most exciting.  John the Beast Mugabi gave Marvin he'll.  Hagler was a great fighter.

Forgot all about John the beast. That was a legit  middleweight fight. Beast was supposed to be the next “dude” Hagler ruined that for him. 👊

2 hours ago, World Citizen said:

But imagine Robinson with Hagler's advantages or Hagler with Robinson's disadvantages. That's how I compare athletes from different generations.

Larry Bird shot below 30 percent from behind the arc in 4 out of his first 5 seasons in the NBA. Then he shot above 40 percent 4 seasons in a row and in 5 out his last 7. It was a new shot for him and for everyone else at the time. He had to figure it out. Imagine if he had grown up shooting 3s.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Hagler’s strength would far exceed fighters of that era just simple by supplementation and advances in training and conditioning. I think if you transported Hagler back to 1940, he would be hard to beat by anybody. Including SRR. But I think it’s be a hell of a fight.

You beat me to it. 

• Haha 1