Kryptonite Opponents

Sammyswordsman

4 minutes ago, Pops said:

Just seems like it’s one successful school away from others hopping on board 

the MD team that’ll be going for a 3-peat MNC this year was enabled by SJB and Jason Negro in 2013 

I think the barn door is open 

Maybe, but I don’t see it.  

Runaway privates won’t be allowed to compete in the coveted UIL and never at 6A.  They’ll always play in the “other” league that is viewed as a step below.  Not enough of an enticement to draw top athletes consistently 

12 minutes ago, Pops said:

Fwiw

i said when they were knocked out of playoffs

they were top 10 National in every poll, human or computer (95%) and #2 in TX —  I thought I recalled to allen — am I remembering wrong — I believe the take in TX changed from mine to yours during playoffs (IOW, the eventual undisputed champ wasn’t higher than #3 in any TX poll?)

SchoolTotalPointsPrv

1. Allen (21)(10-0)2461

2. Katy (1)(10-0)2162

3. Euless Trinity (2)(10-0)2033

4. Cibolo Steele(10-0)1724

5. Lake Travis (1)(10-0)1595

6. Pearland(9-1)9710

7. Converse Judson(9-1)829

8. Cedar Hill(9-1)728

9. Austin Westlake(9-1)29NR

10. Manvel(8-2)276

this was the final AP poll before the playoffs in’15

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

Runaway privates won’t be allowed to compete in the coveted UIL and never at 6A.  They’ll always play in the “other” league that is viewed as a step below.  Not enough of an enticement to draw top athletes consistently 

Agreed 

unless maybe if there were a group of national teams with national athletes regularly competing against each other, which is pretty close to the case now 

I get TX is different but it could happen and quickly 

btw I think it’s still a bit tbd whether this current push is lasting but I’m afraid it is 

TX and CA have both basically banned IMG and MD alumni are grumbling but there’s now about a half dozen schools each year with rosters that all would have been beat ever just a few years ago and at least that many more with resources trying to do so 

I don’t like the trend and hope i’m wrong but I’d bet on it in a sports book 

7 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

SchoolTotalPointsPrv

1. Allen (21)(10-0)2461

2. Katy (1)(10-0)2162

3. Euless Trinity (2)(10-0)2033

4. Cibolo Steele(10-0)1724

5. Lake Travis (1)(10-0)1595

6. Pearland(9-1)9710

7. Converse Judson(9-1)829

8. Cedar Hill(9-1)728

9. Austin Westlake(9-1)29NR

10. Manvel(8-2)276

this was the final AP poll before the playoffs in’15

Thanks 

trinity and Katy pretty close and split among voters 

i am pretty sure Trinity was higher than Katy among all the national pollsters (pretty sure they were top 10 — Katy I think was just breaking into too 25s but had a bullet for next 6 weeks) —  makes sense that TX guys might be getting ahead of the curve on Katy and trinity at that point in time 

my original point was just that Trinity was very highly regarded, in and out of TX, at the end of the regular season

7 hours ago, Horsefly said:

If a private in Texas ever beats a 6A big boy it won’t matter what league they play in.The Private will claim best in Texas and that they weren’t given the chance to prove it in the post season.

this is the only scenario that may tip the scales toward privates rising in Texas

19 minutes ago, Ararar said:

If a private in Texas ever beats a 6A big boy it won’t matter what league they play in.The Private will claim best in Texas and that they weren’t given the chance to prove it in the post season.

this is the only scenario that may tip the scales toward privates rising in Texas

They won't get a chance at a game with a 6A big boy.  Dunne will be the closest this year when they play Desoto.  Dunne was one of those schools hit hard by budget cuts and transfers out.  They will get clobbered by Desoto and that will end the very short 6A vs TAPPS game scheduling.

there is no incentive for teams like Duncanville, north shore, lake Travis, Allen to schedule a TAPPS school.  Something would be seriously wrong in TX for that to happen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, On2whls said:

Even the small box private’s in So Ca are on the rise. It’s not just football. 

True

but there’s only so many mega teams that can be made 

socal couldn’t put together (ie) a half dozen SJB/ MD teams even if they had every kid in socal to choose from 

norcal couldn’t put together one team to match that firepower, nor could 45 states 

DFW could put a couple together, Houston, So FL, OH, etc 

At least without diluting the sort of talent a half dozen teams enjoy today 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pops said:

socal couldn’t put together (ie) a half dozen SJB/ MD teams even if they had every kid in socal to choose from 

I disagree.  Mater Dei and SJB don’t have the 44 (assuming no two way players) best kids from So CA at their respective positions.  If you allowed CC to take the best kids from Norco and Santiago to fill in their weakest points, I wouldn’t bet against them.  Do the same for Upland, Rancho C, and Vista Murrieta.  Take the best from J Serra, Servite, Olu... 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 8:33 AM, DLS350 said:

Trinity didn’t beat DLS up and down the field. I think it was a poorly played game by both teams. You take away that fumble return td in that pic and DLS wins. Even with that TD, DLS was still ahead a half time and only lost by less than a TD.

I agree. It wasn't a high  level of play by both teams. It was kind of an ugly first game of season type for both teams. 

17 hours ago, On2whls said:

I disagree.  Mater Dei and SJB don’t have the 44 (assuming no two way players) best kids from So CA at their respective positions.  If you allowed CC to take the best kids from Norco and Santiago to fill in their weakest points, I wouldn’t bet against them.  Do the same for Upland, Rancho C, and Vista Murrieta.  Take the best from J Serra, Servite, Olu... 

Both MD and SJB have a 5* QB, rated #1 in the country 

Sure they don’t have the best 44 players in socal but those two schools may have more than half of the top 44