GHSA approves 2x multiplier...

Basically the gist of it... Schools with open enrollment could possibly be bumped up 2 classes from their current class. 

Basically students who live outside of a schools zone will be counted as 2 students instead of one... 

This means open enrollment or schools who serve students outside of their zone in anyway will have those students counted as 2 students. 

https://accesswdun.com/article/2019/10/836733/ghsa-multiplier-story

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Basically the gist of it... Schools with open enrollment could possibly be bumped up 2 classes from their current class. 

Basically students who live outside of a schools zone will be counted as 2 students instead of one... 

This means open enrollment or schools who serve students outside of their zone in anyway will have those students counted as 2 students. 

Out of curiosity any major schools who would be affected by this rule?

8 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I think at one time Buford was forced to play up a classification higher than their actual enrollment dictated due to high number of out of district kids under the old 3% rule or whatever it was. 

I assume they could be affected one way or the other from the new multiplier. Idk about any others.

6 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Here's a better story that includes a few names of schools who could be affected. Mostly smaller class schools and private schools I think. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/blog/high-school-sports/ghsa-new-multiplier-could-bump-schools-classes/N2Rn8Wnf9flUrc5YirWAbP/amp.html

19 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Right now the only schools I could think of that this would hurt are private schools and open enrollment schools.... 

Benedictine is already 3A (All boys school) with a 1A enrollment so I don't think they'll be affected. 

Buford could get bumped up to 6A or 7A.

Blessed Trinity possibly get bumped to 6A... 

Carrollton to 6A or 7A

Rome 6A or 7A

Cartersville could get bumped as well... 

That's all that hits me at the moment... 

1 minute ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Right now the only schools I could think of that this would hurt are private schools and open enrollment schools.... 

Benedictine is already 3A (All boys school) with a 1A enrollment so I don't think they'll be affected. 

Buford could get bumped up to 6A or 7A.

Blessed Trinity possibly get bumped to 6A... 

Carrollton to 6A or 7A

Rome 6A or 7A

Cartersville could get bumped as well... 

That's all that hits me at the moment... 

The AJC story mentions Woodward Academy also. 

I like the rule. In a time when club ball is apparently getting a foothold in other places, the thought here is to keep the field more level by recognizing that not all schools are playing by the same rules or with equal jurisdictions giving some an advantage over others. 

I will be interested to see which schools are most affected. 

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The AJC story mentions Woodward Academy also. 

I like the rule. In a time when club ball is apparently getting a foothold in other places, the thought here is to keep the field more level by recognizing that not all schools are playing by the same rules or with equal jurisdictions giving some an advantage over others. 

I will be interested to see which schools are most affected. 

At the same time I can see this backfiring too... 

Think about it..  

Now all these private schools are forced to play up they're not gonna wanna sit back and have to get stomped out by the likes of Grayson,Mceachern and Marietta they're gonna wanna compete... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

At the same time I can see this backfiring too... 

Think about it..  

Now all these private schools are forced to play up they're not gonna wanna sit back and have to get stomped out by the likes of Grayson,Mceachern and Marietta... 

Idk if any would be forced all the way to 7A. Aren't most 3A or 4A schools right now? 

I think Buford was 4A technically by head count but were forced to 5A by the 3% rule. 

What this does is make schools/teams like them think harder about accepting as many out of district kids or else be forced even higher in class. Picking on Buford for no real reason... They may be happy right now as a force in 5A. Not sure if they'd want to keep accepting additional out of district kids if it forces them to move up another class.

I may have missed it, but, isn't the force up in all sports as well? If so. This affects hoops, tennis, golf and etc. 

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Idk if any would be forced all the way to 7A. Aren't most 3A or 4A schools right now? 

I think Buford was 4A technically by head count but were forced to 5A by the 3% rule. 

What this does is make schools/teams like them think harder about accepting as many out of district kids or else be forced even higher in class. Picking on Buford for no real reason... They may be happy right now as a force in 5A. Not sure if they'd want to keep accepting additional out of district kids if it forces them to move up another class.

I may have missed it, but, isn't the force up in all sports as well? If so. This affects hoops, tennis, golf and etc. 

Yes it's in all sports... This is gonna shake up some regions...

Just now, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Yes it's in all sports... This is gonna shake up some regions...

It's easy to get caught up in just football because that's what we mainly discuss here, but, if a school like Carrolton is good at football but not so much in other sports, and suddenly all the sports are forced into 6A, that could be pretty tough on the sports they aren't as good at. 

It makes them have to weigh that in their thoughts as they accept new out of district students. 

6 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Why?

That's going to be the result.

Really bad classes are going to get even worse.

The point is we don't always need Debby downer to tell us what we already know... 

How many of us did you see get excited about the possibility of our weak classes getting weaker? 

How many?

Answer... None... 

All this is gonna do is make our good teams from those classes move up.... 

12 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Maybe they can somehow cap the size of the largest class, and then start bumping schools that are on the lowest end back down into the other classes. I kinda like this idea!

The top class, 7A,  is capped at the largest 10% of population. 

To some extent a lower end of the 10% population could be bumped back to 6A by a 5A school operating with a huge number of out of district kids getting bumped into the top 10%.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Wow if they did that in Texas there would be schools having up to 10,000 plus students 

8 hours ago, RedZone said:

How many open enrollment schools in GA's highest class and who might they be?

Technically none. Marietta is a city school. Not affiliated with Cobb County. Valdosta in 6A is another city school. They can accept students from inside their respective counties. Buford, Carrollton, and Cartersville can do the same.