Week 8 Tiers

Sammyswordsman

Week 8

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, St. John Bosco*, SFA, Duncanville*, STA*,

Tier 2 – Katy, DLS, North Shore*, Longview, Southlake Carroll, Bishop Gorman, St. Louis (Hi). Lowndes, IMG

Tier 3 - Colquitt, Grayson, Allen, Gonzaga*, Chandler, SJC, North Gwinett, Punahu, OLGC, Marietta*, SJP*, Miami Central, Lakeland*, DeMatha, McEachern, Cent10,  Northwestern

Tier 4 -  Catholic -BR*, Valdosta, Mission Viejo, Guyer,  Westlake , West Monroe*, Lincoln Way East, Hoover, SJR, DBP, SPP, Male, Servite, Narbonne, Mentor, St. Eds,  CHilll, Guyer

Tier 5 -  Buford, JSerra, East St. Louis, Dutch Fork, Mallard Creek, John Curtis, Saguaro* , Cathedral Catholic, Helix, Corner Canyon (UT), St. X, Colerain, Elder, Iggy, Hoban,  Bergen Catholic, Lake Travis

Tier 6 - Trinity (Ky), Aledo, Folsom*, Byrnes, Columbia, Centennial AZ, Rummel,

*- Indicates teams on probation for their Tier.

*Requests to add your team will be honored.  But must be Tier 6 or above to be placed on a Tier.

Below is an explanation of the Methodolgy used to place the teams on various Tiers.  The Tier concept recognizes that W/L records are a function of quality of opponent, and as such, RELEVANCY of opponent MUST be factored in.  The Tiers recognizes that in some cases, a 10-0 team (ranked in Top 100 by some outlets) could get blown off the field by a 5-5 (unranked) team that played a tougher schedule.  This is why the Tiers was created.

*Not attempting to rank every team, only the ones we discuss on this site.

*Teams are ranked appropriately for that week in the season.  Teams can improve and regress comparatively.

* The Tiers are fluid and subject to extreme fluctuations early in the year, leveling out as the year progresses.

*Tier placements consider a teams entire body of work, however are weighted heaviest on recent games and game weights decrease in significance in reverse order.  In other words, early road OOS losses to relevant teams can be overcome as the season progresses.

*Teams placed on the same Tier can compete with other same Tier teams and possibly win 2+ of 10. 

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from a TD to 3 scores depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team.

*The Tiers will ultimately be made up of (16) teams per Tier that would form competitive playoff brackets.

*Texas teams generally have not played enough OOS games to gauge properly #crapshoot.  There must be a daisy chain OOS connection for a reference point.  Teams with no OOS daisy chain connection may not be placed on a Tier.  (Texas exempt)

*Tiers are based on exhaustive research, Multiple games watched, and good gut feelings.

*This is a crowd sourced rating. All input will be considered and adjustments will be made as appropriate

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Week 8 saw the ever increasing range of Tier 1.  With The Stache winning big over SFA, and then SFA winning big over IMG.  IMG drops to Tier 2 despite a convincing win over Tier 4 Northwestern, the close escape vs. Tier 3 SJP and SJC makes them a better fit for Tier 2

The BNU came up this week by virtue of DBP win over Top 25 SJR.   Tier 4 now hosts the top BNU, top Ohio, and Servite.  This Tier also has a lot of depth.  There was debate to put Servite up to Tier 3 but we felt the young soph laden Friars were a better fit in Tier 4.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rufus69 said:

Sammy....I'll take up for you as best I can...but you're probably gonna get hate mail from the McEachern crazies.   Probably get some from the Lowndes Loonies as well.

Rufus>>

STill waiting for the Colquitt game Rufus.

Tier 1 is not a beauty pagent.  A team must actually beat the crap out of another Tier 2+ team

• Haha 1

Just now, Sammyswordsman said:

I would say each team wins at home. 

No argument from me there, though I still give the edge in coaching to STL. But even given that, why would they be in different tiers? If STA were actually a tier higher wouldn't you expect them to win both at home AND away?

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

You have a point.  Giving SJB an * (probation).  Should have had it after the Servite game too.

I have no qualms with putting SJB on probation, since it will be settled on the field in less than a week. But honestly. I feel like every team not named MD should be on tier 1 probation at this point. SFA was down 34-6 in the 3rd quarter to Mater Dei. They were literally at risk of being running clocked. If that doesn't deserve a probation, I don't know what does.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

If you're going to put the power 4 teams from the WCAC in Tier 3, then there's no reason not to put Servite in Tier 3. Those WCAC teams are all analogues of JSerra (defensive, run-based offense, no QB play to speak of). We saw what Servite does to that type of team.

@Sammyswordsman

Good point.  I had them in Tier 3 initially, then dropped them due to the abundance of Sophs on the team.  DeMatha is a bit better but to your point, it would be close. 

19 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

IMO unless DLS gets upset, STA should remain T1 until they lose. If DLS loses prematurely and Lakeland beats STA, then all three would be Tier 2. 

Let me get this straight: If Lakeland beats STA for the second year in a row, that would elevate them to...the same tier as STA. 

Typical Trumpster tool.

2 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Help me out here.  Exactly which Tier 2+ team has Duncanville beat?

Rufus>>

That is actually a very good point.  Duncanville beat SJC when SJC was Tier 2, but since SJC lost again and dropped, Duncanville is on probation in Tier 1 and is "at risk".  Duncanville is also a Texas 6a finalist (and arguably co champion on the field) which puts them in Tier 1 until they really f up

1 minute ago, Sammyswordsman said:

That is actually a very good point.  Duncanville beat SJC when SJC was Tier 2, but since SJC lost again and dropped, Duncanville is on probation in Tier 1 and is "at risk".  Duncanville is also a Texas 6a finalist (and arguably co champion on the field) which puts them in Tier 1 until they really f up

So...you're changing the rules to fit your placement.

OK...I got'cha.

Rufus>>

4 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

So...you're changing the rules to fit your placement.

OK...I got'cha.

Rufus>>

What is Lowndes signature win over the past 2 seasons?

You are asking to play with the Big Dogs, and Ga was terrible last year, and Lowndes scheduled poorly this year, considering the team they had coming back.  In fact their preseason slate was worse than the devil's.

6 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

What is Lowndes signature win over the past 2 seasons?

You are asking to play with the Big Dogs, and Ga was terrible last year, and Lowndes scheduled poorly this year, considering the team they had coming back.  In fact their preseason slate was worse than the devil's.

Well...I would guess...according to you guys...not to Georgia people...Lowndes' signature win would be Miami Northwestern.   And by your new set of rules...you've got Duncanville in Tier 1...so why not Lowndes?  I personally don't like it that you've got Colquitt listed in a Tier.  We ain't nothing but a bunch of poor, tiny, little undersized Hawgs.  But that's another fight.

I was told...."Rufus, this is Sammy's party...and if he wants somebody in Tier 1...THEY IN TIER 1 "

Well...OK then.

You crowd source the hell out of it....(Smile).

Rufus>>

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Well...I would guess...according to you guys...not to Georgia people...Lowndes' signature win would be Miami Northwestern.   And by your new set of rules...you've got Duncanville in Tier 1...so why not Lowndes?  I personally don't like it that you've got Colquitt listed in a Tier.  We ain't nothing but a bunch of poor, tiny, little undersized Hawgs.  But that's another fight.

I was told...."Rufus, this is Sammy's party...and if he wants somebody in Tier 1...THEY IN TIER 1 "

Well...OK then.

You crowd source the hell out of it....(Smile).

Rufus>>

The problem with Northwestern as a signature win is they got blasted by IMG who got blasted by SFA who got blasted by Mater Dei.

• Thanks 2