Week 8 Tiers

Sammyswordsman

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Unfortunately for LL, STA and DLS are joined at the hip for the rest of the season. 

Unfortunately?

seems to me like Lakeland’s path to MNC relies on a) them beating STA, and the b) DLS winning Open 

that’s unlikely to happen, but without DLS they have no path (or hardly one)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Week 8 saw the ever increasing range of Tier 1.  With The Stache winning big over SFA, and then SFA winning big over IMG.  IMG drops to Tier 2 despite a convincing win over Tier 4 Northwestern, the close escape vs. Tier 3 SJP and SJC makes them a better fit for Tier 2

The BNU came up this week by virtue of DBP win over Top 25 SJR.   Tier 4 now hosts the top BNU, top Ohio, and Servite.  This Tier also has a lot of depth.  There was debate to put Servite up to Tier 3 but we felt the young soph laden Friars were a better fit in Tier 4.

Who is we?  Do you have rabbit in your pocket?

• Haha 1

St. Louis should be a lock if they win out.   If Chandler wins out, I'd like to see these two teams play... to see how many points will be scored.   

Corner Canyon and O'Dea  (if they win out) will be rooting for Lakeland and a GA champ declining.    It would be nice to see a FL-GA clash at Geico with two undefeated teams, but that's not likely to happen.    

34 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

St. Louis should be a lock if they win out.   If Chandler wins out, I'd like to see these two teams play... to see how many points will be scored.   

Corner Canyon and O'Dea  (if they win out) will be rooting for Lakeland and a GA champ declining.    It would be nice to see a FL-GA clash at Geico with two undefeated teams, but that's not likely to happen.    

Really? We've already seen a lot of FL/GA games this year. Would be nice to see something different......like a FL or GA team vs St. Louis or GA vs UT match-up. 

1 hour ago, Pops said:

Unfortunately?

seems to me like Lakeland’s path to MNC relies on a) them beating STA, and the b) DLS winning Open 

that’s unlikely to happen, but without DLS they have no path (or hardly one)

Lakeland has no claim or clear path to a MNC. IF they finish unbeaten, having knocked off Armwood, Edgewater and STA (it may be that none of those will be home games), AND DLS knocks off Mater Dei AND Lakeland accepts a Geico invite and beats an unbeaten Lowndes (or perhaps SDt. Louis), then maybe we can talk. Otherwise, it's a non-discussion IMO.

However, Lakeland certainly can claim to be much higher than sammy has them. I assume he's just waiting for the state playoffs, though the win Friday should have improved their status compared to last week.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Lakeland has no claim or clear path to a MNC. IF they finish unbeaten, having knocked off Armwood, Edgewater and STA (it may be that none of those will be home games), AND DLS knocks off Mater Dei AND Lakeland accepts a Geico invite and beats an unbeaten Lowndes (or perhaps SDt. Louis), then maybe we can talk. Otherwise, it's a non-discussion IMO.

However, Lakeland certainly can claim to be much higher than sammy has them. I assume he's just waiting for the state playoffs, though the win Friday should have improved their status compared to last week.

Don’t disagree but what you’re saying is the same thing — Lakeland has a lot of work in front of them, but they’ll need a bit of help to get in MNC discussion and DLS is the most likely team (unless we somehow factor in MD and SJB splitting, but considering SOS difference that might be less likely than a DLS win (which might be less likely than a split, but will more certainly drop the loser from MNC (no one loses last game and stays in discussion)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

Really? We've already seen a lot of FL/GA games this year. Would be nice to see something different......like a FL or GA team vs St. Louis or GA vs UT match-up. 

St. Louis vs FL, GA or AZ rep would be nice.   I don't think we can get a bad game with St. Louis because USA Today already has them ranked highly. 

UT and WA will not pass an undefeated FL or GA rep nor the AZ rep imo, so St. Louis hopefully wins out and accepts an invite.  If they don't, the event will be off to a crappy start.  

If in the unlikely event we could have St. Louis, Chandler, STA or Lakeland and an undefeated GA power,  that would be a nice foursome to match-up games.   In this scenario  Lowndes vs. Lakeland or STA... or St. Louis?    That was my point using "undefeated".   image.jpeg.8317e3559dd945b7a34619a2c4c59ab3.jpeg. VS Lakeland or STA at a neutral site... yea, I'd like to see that.    

4 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

St. Louis vs FL, GA or AZ rep would be nice.   I don't think we can get a bad game with St. Louis because USA Today already has them ranked highly. 

UT and WA will not pass an undefeated FL or GA rep nor the AZ rep imo, so St. Louis hopefully wins out and accepts an invite.  If they don't, the event will be off to a crappy start.  

If in the unlikely event we could have St. Louis, Chandler, STA or Lakeland and an undefeated GA power,  that would be a nice foursome to match-up games.   In this scenario  Lowndes vs. Lakeland or STA... or St. Louis?    That was my point using "undefeated".   image.jpeg.8317e3559dd945b7a34619a2c4c59ab3.jpeg. VS Lakeland or STA at a neutral site... yea, I'd like to see that.    

I would be absolutely shocked if Georgia has an undefeated Champion in AAAAAAA.  I would think Buford would be the highest percentage candidate...and they're AAAAA.

Rufus>>

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

I feel you. I'd like to see how St. Louis would do against a physical team in Lowndes and maybe STA or Lakeland. St. Louis has some studs, but they'd be facing a whole other level of physicality against FL or GA.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:18 AM, GardenStateBaller said:

Tier 1/2 are essentially the Top 15 teams in the country regardless of order. IMO each would split home and home games outside of MD and maybe SJB. 

If you are now admitting that Duncanville would split home and home with the Tier 2 teams, then that may prompt a demotion.  Tier 1 teams should not be splitting home and home with other Tiers

On 10/20/2019 at 9:12 AM, Sammyswordsman said:

St. Louis is very mortal outside Hawaii.  I would say each team wins at home.  STA is Tier 1 * after a lethargic game last week.  Almost moved them down this week

49 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tier 1 teams should not be splitting home and home with other Tiers

giphy.gif?cid=790b761128e97a1ae6deed6993

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/20/2019 at 5:58 PM, Rufus69 said:

I would be absolutely shocked if Georgia has an undefeated Champion in AAAAAAA.  I would think Buford would be the highest percentage candidate...and they're AAAAA.

Rufus>>

I hear you.   The 2012 Norcross squad I always felt deserved more  👀.  They had a stout in-state run.   

I think it’s time to prepare a power ratings list of the current compilation 25 :).  
I made a few minor changes from last year.  It still won’t adjust for recent performance having more focus, but I’m cool with that as it’s a risk/reward system that shouldn’t have a calendar date as a gauge, but the quality of the opponent as the key component.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I’m saying that anything can happen when twoTop 15 teams battle each other. 

12 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Not for true Tier 1 teams.  They would not lose to Tier 2 teams anywhere over 10% of the time.

This is  way less than splitting home and home 

1). @Sammyswordsman if you think tier 1  teams should beat tier 2 teams 90% of time, you have too many teams in Tier 1 — there should be two (and even then 90% is a bit high)

2). @GardenStateBaller see above regarding top 15 teams battling — The consensus #3 team in country with a roster that is among the best in history, lost by 16 to #1.  Im not saying that #3 thru #15 aren’t capable of winning but any of them actually doing so would be a huge surprise.  (Btw, I think MD has a bit more of an untouchable aura than SJB, especially after the SJB-Servite game)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

If SJB loses by more than 16, all hell's gonna break loose!! 

Why?  Where?  

I won’t be shocked and only mildly surprised 

and SJB might drop to the #3-5 range if they get worked (would be hard to drop MD that much since they’ve already badly beaten #3

2 minutes ago, Pops said:

1). @Sammyswordsman if you think tier 1  teams should beat tier 2 teams 90% of time, you have too many teams in Tier 1 — there should be two (and even then 90% is a bit high)

2). @GardenStateBaller see above regarding top 15 teams battling — The consensus #3 team in country with a roster that is among the best in history, lost by 16 to #1.  Im not saying that #3 thru #15 aren’t capable of winning but any of them actually doing so would be a huge surprise.  (Btw, I think MD has a bit more of an untouchable aura than SJB, especially after the SJB-Servite game)

Agreed.  I have been itching to drop SJB, Duncanville, STA from Tier 1 but the "crowd sources" won't let me.  So all I can do is put them on probation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2