Week 9 Tiers

Sammyswordsman

3 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

You still haven't made your case for why STA should be in Tier 1 with the other three teams.

I'm not saying that they should.

I just accurately pointed out that they didn't struggle this week (as you insinuated) and that you didn't drop them for struggling last week (as you tried to claim).

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

LOL.  Once someone resorts to correcting spelling and grammar during a debate, is when that someone has run out of arguements.

There was nothing for me to refute.

You had already run out of ideas (if that's what you want to call something that you post).

You're seriously arguing that pass rush isn't important to pass defense.

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

When did I state that?

👇

32 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

MD had an elite pass rush last year.  For you to down play MD pass rush shows either ignorance or stupidity.  Pick your poisen

I said that pass rush was as important as secondary play and you claimed that Mater Dei had an elite pass rush.

But they gave up 254 yards and 3 TDs to De La Salle.

Then you said their secondary had 3 injuries.

But then you said that they got beat by quick pops.

You're literally throwing shit against the wall and seeing if it will stick.

5 minutes ago, badrouter said:

WHAT CALPREPS HAS THE TEAMS RATED DOESN'T F*CKING MATTER.

12 minutes ago, The Guru said:

👇

I said that pass rush was as important as secondary play and you claimed that Mater Dei had an elite pass rush.

But they gave up 254 yards and 3 TDs to De La Salle.

Then you said their secondary had 3 injuries.

But then you said that they got beat by quick pops.

You're literally throwing shit against the wall and seeing if it will stick.

That is not what I stated.  You are talking in circles.

44 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

What was the offensive yardage comparison between SJB and STA in that game?

Spread, air-it-out-at-all-times teams can struggle in the redzone against stout defenses. That's the clear vulnerability for MD and SJB offenses. They can move it between the 20s on anyone. But, there may be teams that can keep them out of the endzone and force field goals (some of which may be missed). That's a bit of what happened to SJB vs. STA in 2017.

1 minute ago, badrouter said:

Spread, air-it-out-at-all-times teams can struggle in the redzone against stout defenses. That's the clear vulnerability for MD and SJB offenses. They can move it between the 20s on anyone. But, there may be teams that can keep them out of the endzone and force field goals (some of which may be missed).

I think SJB only had about 200 yards on 60+ plays.

They didn't move it much at all, anywhere.

But, yes, we had a couple of red zone stands including one on the goal line that was huge.

2 hours ago, The Guru said:

I don't have to take back a single word.

Miramar is near elite on defense but they have a Benny Hill level offense that might have given up more points this year than their defense.

Deerfield Beach is a better version of Miramar who beat a competent Louisiana team by 53 points that will likely win multiple 5A playoff games.

Carol City is only being held back by their instability at head coach. They're far better at several positions than half the teams on SJBs schedule.

Mandarin has a QB (and offense) but no defense.

Plantation doesn't play anybody in the middle so we won't know how good they actually are.

Compare them to overrated teams like Servite, Mililani, Orange Lutheran, Santa Margarita, JSerra, etc.

In fact name one team on SJBs schedule other than Mater Dei who isn't overrated by calpreps/Massey.

Do it.

How about 2-time defending state champ Arizona Centennial.
In fact, didn’t they beat STA a few years ago? 

I get a kick out of some of your posts and think you got courage taking on all the West Coast fanboys (myself included).

That said, you’re pissing up the wrong flagpole this year comparing MD/Bosco to STA . Might be wise to zip-it until you get past Lakeland...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, St. John Bosco*, SFA

Tier 2 – Duncanville, STA, Katy, North Shore*, Longview, St. Louis (Hi). IMG, DLS

Tier 3 – Lowndes, Allen, Chandler, Punahu, Lakeland, McEachern, Cent10, Southlake Carrol,   Bishop Gorman, DeMatha, Mentor*,  Servite*, St. Eds*, Colquitt, ,SJC*

Like everything here but think DLS is tier 3 (loss to STA). 

14 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Misspoke. Think either DLS or both DLS/STA should be Tier 3. 

The 10 point differential is within the margin for Teams playing head to head and remaining in the same Tier.  Neither team belongs in Tier 1 with the other three teams listed, and neither team belongs in Tier 3 although DLS is borderline Tier 3 and I did have them in Tier 3 in an early Week 9 draft.  Ultimately they were kept in Tier 2 as  Tier 3 was filled in and we extrapolated that DLS was better by more than two scores of the current Tier 3 teams

15 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

How do the tiers account for SOS at this point in the season? It’s difficult to make a strong case for any of the high-tier TX teams except for Duncanville and Katy/NS. 

The Tiers were created primarily with SOS as the driving force.  We felt that most polls ranked records rather than teams.  We felt that this was a lazy way to rank teams.  The Tiers first and foremost considers SOS.  Quite frankly this factor is working against STA, Lakeland, Duncanville, and eventually will catch up to DLS as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Like everything here but think DLS is tier 3 (loss to STA). 

I’m not opposed, however, DLS appeared more even with STA than SJB did MD so why the issue with DLS being on STA’s tier and not SJB on MD’s?

especially including the Servite game 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The SJB Servite game was an outlier in that SJB was pretty dominant, but was homered by some bad calls which supressed SJB's point totals

I’ve not gone through the rest of the thread yet, but you are right about this.  The Servite game was an outlier for SJB... which means it was also an outlier for Servite.

There’s no flippin’ way, aside from wishful thinking, that they’re tier 3.

• Like 3