Week 9 Tiers

Sammyswordsman

7 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The Tiers were created primarily with SOS as the driving force.  We felt that most polls ranked records rather than teams.  We felt that this was a lazy way to rank teams.  The Tiers first and foremost considers SOS.  Quite frankly this factor is working against STA, Lakeland, Duncanville, and eventually will catch up to DLS as well.

This sounds like a NJ guy saying that we should rank teams based on OOS record 

Or a GA guy coming out with rankings based on who has most recruits per capita 

or a TX guy saying we rank by attendance 

I thought the tiers were about ID’img the beat teams by strata..... period

use ALL available criteria 

discounting SFA, STA, and DLS for soft schedule is NJ discounting CA teams for not playing 5 OOS games like they sometimes do — those 3 in particular have nothing to apologize for with their schedules 

PS not debating dls’s placement — we agree they’re fringe tier 2/3 — just taking exception to some of your expressed logic 

7 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

You know what to do with this, Sammy.

Thanks,

BGW

I feel like the tiers have finally earned enough "play" that they should get some sponsor love. 

Therefore, the tiers have been proudly brought to us by the following sponsor(s).

Try Comfort Wipe... for those days when you are too tight to reach all the way back with the tiers.

source.gif.231efd8861bb48d2e888acf5cd587342.gif

Also, try, Auto Wipe. There is no need to stretch at all. Simply load with your favorite edition of the tiers, flip a switch and back that ass up...

2051887914_giphy(2).gif.757cc48227c3513a146bdf7bb6eb5a36.gif

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Pops said:

I’m not opposed, however, DLS appeared more even with STA than SJB did MD so why the issue with DLS being on STA’s tier and not SJB on MD’s?

especially including the Servite game 

Good point and could make the same for dropping SFA (MD), NS (Katy) and Servite (BG), but then it’d be pretty lonely w MD solely at the top followed by 1-2 loss SFA/Bosco followed by TX 6A Semi/Finalists and FL 7A finalists (weeks from now). 

Think this is where some the tiering construct/flexibility comes in (Order, Asterisks, Boldetc.). Lacking National playoffs and limited sample size for the few teams with legitimate OOS schedules, it’s tough to project weeks 1-12; esp for Top teams lacking a powerhouse pre-season schedule (TX/FL/Nor-Cal). 

In closing, I suppose I will relent for Week-9 and say DLS deserves to stay in T2; that is, until the rest of T2 has the opportunity to prove itself, which it will. We all know where DLS will end up, it’s just a question of how close they come in D1 State finals. 

PS.  I respect the shit out of DLS, their heritage/style of play and was there for the first 2 MD losses in the late-90’s during ‘The Spartan Streak’, so no disrespect. 

DLS loss to STA this year does sting a bit though...Cen10 woulda been a better matchup. Can’t really make the ‘too early in the year’ argument, bc DLS is DLS (part of reason Folsom basically got blanked last 2yrs).

That said, any idea why STA chose DLS and not MD for its matchup? They clearly both had late pre-season Week-0 openings...

Hope this question doesn’t shatter ‘The Guru’s’ stoic confidence and false sense of pride for STA this year. 

8 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The Tiers first and foremost considers SOS.  Quite frankly this factor is working against STA, Lakeland, Duncanville, and eventually will catch up to DLS as well.

What's lazy is lumping in STA's SOS with Lakeland and Duncanville.

Massey SOS rankings

STA: 55th

Duncanville: 153rd

Lakeland: 634th

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

29 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

That said, any idea why STA chose DLS and not MD for its matchup? They clearly both had late pre-season Week-0 openings...

Hope this question doesn’t shatter ‘The Guru’s’ stoic confidence and false sense of pride for STA this year. 

No offense taken as people usually put the burden on the more high-profile program as you have in this case.

It's a silly and facile question though.

• Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, The Guru said:

No offense taken as people usually put the burden on the more high-profile program as you have in this case.

It's a silly and facile question though.

Ok then, what’s the answer to the question? Did STA duck MD this year? Could you blame them if they did?

Re: high profile programs...how far did you want to look back? I can’t even really see STA in my rear-view mirror..just giant red sun w/ 3 white stripes (recency’s a bitch). 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

After the past week, it is becoming apparent that 3 teams are a clear Tier above the rest.  These three would probably be the only teams that could paste an "L" on the other.  While SJB took a loss, the certainly aquitted themselves better than any other team has vs Mater Dei.  Barring the turnover inside the 10 on the last series, this was a 1 score game.

This solves the the Tier 1 conundrum, and pushes the next group into a solid Tier 2.  STA and Duncanville drop to Tier 2 due to lethargic performances mainly due to a piss poor schedule.  DLS hangs on to Tier 2 by keeping their focus playing stupid teams, but winning impressively.  IMG is probably the best team in Tier 2 at this point in the season.

Tier 3 has some excellent programs, with only Servite being  a borderline team, but with a 1 point loss to an excellent SJB team, it is hard to deny them a Tier 3 spot.  Lowndes is in Tier 3 due to not looking good in their highlights but has a chance to prove us wrong this week against fellow Tier 3 Colquitt.  The winner of this game moves up to Tier 2, which is about as high as any team not currently in Tier 1 could hope for.  Although Duncanville can make it back to Tier 1 by winning the 6A State Championship. The Top Ohio Schools are back in Tier 3 mainly because we couldn't see Servite a Tier above Ohio's best. Lakeland can get to Tier 2 also by winning out.  The Tiers are still very high on Dematha and SJC, with the winner of the WCAC having Tier 2 potential.  Chandler and Bishop Gorman have registered blowouts albeit against questionable opponnents, and are in Tier 3 with a chance to move up with a Geico win

Tier 4 sees the Top BNU teams, with DBP surging after the past 2 weeks.  Tier 4 may be a bit high for the Ironmen, but they will have a chance to solidify this placement.  SPP is rolling but hasn't really been tested by a team above their pay grade. 

Tier 5 saw Rummel,  plop into it via a less than stellar win this week.

Tier 6 caught SJR in a freefall.  What is going on with this program?  In the running for most regression by any team ever.

Dropped out - Folsom got smoked vs the only Top 250 team they played, and then eeked out a 3 point win vs. #273.  The devil is who we thought they were.

Bogus 

need to flush this with you’re morning shit!

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Ok then, what’s the answer to the question? Did STA duck MD this year?

You come off as kind of a goofball whose understanding of these things is very surface level.

I don't know what prompted these claims but there was never any chance of an STA-Mater Dei game in 2019. The DLS game was agreed to in October last year.

There's a much better chance (so better than 0%) that they could play in 2020.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

54 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Re: high profile programs...how far did you want to look back? I can’t even really see STA in my rear-view mirror..just giant red sun w/ 3 white stripes (recency’s a bitch). 

STA is #1 in both current NFL players (2019) and current college players (2016 was the last year it was done).

They're also probably ESPN/Paragon's #1 partner for televised games every year.

So they're probably not in anybody's rear view mirror in terms of profile especially not Mater Dei.

https://bustedcoverage.com/2019/09/13/which-high-school-most-nfl-players/

2019-10-28_9-56-33.png.1d76b013609a962baa6ea64dd275cb3e.png

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/zXUMkodeekm9Wu2LtDZ6Ow/top-20-high-schools-that-produce-the-most-current-college-football-talent.htm

2019-10-28_9-51-51.png.2d7967eed09218cc2f15aa255e76646d.png

• Thumbs Down 1

32 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Did you take the opportunity to watch North Shore this week?  

Probably not...This is not the same team you watched lose vs Katy.   

Both Duncanville and North Shore should be tier 1 teams.

The tiers are silly.  Duncanville is a squad I could roll with.  I would like to get a look at North Shore against a solid opponent.  Spectrum just cut all but a few of my Fox Sports channels so It looks like no Texas State ships for me this year.

21 hours ago, The Guru said:

STA was up 42-0 in the 2nd quarter while playing only seniors the whole night (except QB) because it was Senior Night.

Not sure they could've done any better.

I have to agree with Guru/Canes, STA is focused this season. It will come down to Lakeland and STA in 7A. One of them will command the ship this year. Both are capable teams. Could either hang with MD, SJB, SFA? If they came to Florida to play, the answer is a simple Yes. Bring it to Florida and see how your teams play on our Florida Home Fields. This is no joke. Bring your elite to Florida. It's time to stop being pussies and playing at home all the time.

14 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Once again if you watched the game, DLS passing yards came on quick pops. 

MD had an elite pass rush last year.  For you to down play MD pass rush shows either ignorance or stupidity.  Pick your poisen

I like your tiers Sammy and I like that you listen to most posters.

A little note for you on DLS's quick pop passing. Notice how Tom Brady wins a lot of his games... Quick pops... Short passes are key in advancing the ball and keeping a fast pass rush from getting to your QB. DLS was smart to use those quick out passes, screens and slants or whatever they used. If your RB is hurt or your O-line is struggling then you better hope you have a QB that can make those quick reads and hit his short yardage receivers.

Tons of games are won on short yard passing teams.

justsayin... 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

STA would have more trouble with Mater Dei than SJB.  I would pick Mater Dei over STA.  I would go with STA over SJB.  STA would straight up beat SFA imo.

I would pick MD over STA all year long if they play in California... I would pick MD 7 out of 10 if the play in Florida. I would never say that STA is better than MD, but I will say if they play in Florida STA hangs with them in a close one. That goes for IMG also. To put IMG in the tier 2 is ok for one week... IMG will beat you at home 98% of the time... 

I've seen these guys at home and it's almost unfair for the visiting teams. Same goes for BG and the lot, home field is unfair to most visiting teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Guru said:

STA is #1 in both current NFL players (2019) and current college players (2016 was the last year it was done).

They're also probably ESPN/Paragon's #1 partner for televised games every year.

So they're probably not in anybody's rear view mirror in terms of profile especially not Mater Dei.

https://bustedcoverage.com/2019/09/13/which-high-school-most-nfl-players/

2019-10-28_9-56-33.png.1d76b013609a962baa6ea64dd275cb3e.png

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/zXUMkodeekm9Wu2LtDZ6Ow/top-20-high-schools-that-produce-the-most-current-college-football-talent.htm

2019-10-28_9-51-51.png.2d7967eed09218cc2f15aa255e76646d.png

Excuse me Guru, I'm appropriating this for @Sammyswordsman's review, he/she/it needs all the crowd sourcing available.

Sammy feast on number 12....

Thanks,

BGW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I like your tiers Sammy and I like that you listen to most posters.

A little note for you on DLS's quick pop passing. Notice how Tom Brady wins a lot of his games... Quick pops... Short passes are key in advancing the ball and keeping a fast pass rush from getting to your QB. DLS was smart to use those quick out passes, screens and slants or whatever they used. If your RB is hurt or your O-line is struggling then you better hope you have a QB that can make those quick reads and hit his short yardage receivers.

Tons of games are won on short yard passing teams.

justsayin... 

Aaaaahhhhh.... such "like", more like 

giphy.gif

BGW

3 hours ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Ok then, what’s the answer to the question? Did STA duck MD this year? Could you blame them if they did?

I believe the STA was going to play SJB until they got the ESPN offer to play DLS.  So they switched, and DBP took STA place that weekend vs SJB.  It was the Trinity League vs. USA contest

• Like 1