St. Louis Vs STA

hawaiiboy396

53 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

As posted in another thread, the wildcard appears to be the STA Principal, who isn’t totally sold on the value of the event yet.

She's been Principal since 2015 and they played in the 2016 event so that's not the issue.

They don't give long descriptive reasons like the Supreme Court does but it seems likely that the decision came down to the calendar/travel.

• Thumbs Down 2

8 hours ago, hawaiiboy396 said:

St. Louis won the state title this past weekend easily.    I know some of the coaches and they are about to except am offer for the Geico Bowl.   They expecting to play STA.  This is probably their legendary coach Cal Lee's last year 

Good! St. Louis has one helluva squad this year. Now let me ask you this: if STA fails to get it done, would St. Louis still accept the invite and possibly have to play the Georgia 7A champ or Saint Frances? 

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

As posted in another thread, the wildcard appears to be the STA Principal, who isn’t totally sold yet on the value of the event. If they win out but don’t accept the invite, smaller class teams like Jones and MNW will then be in play, along with Marietta if they will GA 7A. If none of the aforementioned teams come through, then SFA looms as the dark horse team to play SL. 

Why would North Gwinnett or Lowndes be involved? 

On 12/2/2019 at 5:24 AM, FootballGuy said:

Good! St. Louis has one helluva squad this year. Now let me ask you this: if STA fails to get it done, would St. Louis still accept the invite and possibly have to play the Georgia 7A champ or Saint Frances? 

According to coaches I know.  It's pretty much a done deal that they will play in the bowl.  Opponent doesn't matter. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Much has been made on the islands about this possibly being the best St Louis team ever but I'm not sure that I agree.  Recruiting the islands has become a bit more accessible as the reputation of high school football in Hawai'i has grown nationwide and I think that the current team has benefitted from that increased visibility.  But, as hawaiiboy396 pointed out, the current team lacks a consistent running attack and to me that is a big thing that keeps me from being able to compare this team favorably with some of the Crusader teams of the 1990's.

That said, it'll still be an interesting test to see how they can handle a team like STA. I'm guessing the high-end talent on each team will be similar, but the big thing I would like to see is how St Louis' depth of talent compares with a true blue-chip program.  Either way it's a good opportunity to build the reputation of Hawai'i football on a national scale.

10 hours ago, hawaiiboy396 said:

Punahou is very much underrated team.  I've seen them play all year.  They could compete with anyone ranked 10-25 in the polls.  

But Punahou is ranked #21 by calpreps. That's hardly underrated.

Do you think Hawaii has 4 teams in the top 80 like calpreps has it? St. Louis #4, Punahou #21, Kuhuku #42, and Mililani #80. I think that's over the top. It speaks to the scaling and clustering issues that it has.

Massey is more aligned with my thoughts. They have St. Louis #5, Punahou #62, Kuhuku #138, and Mililani #192.

9 hours ago, VegasKama'aina said:

Much has been made on the islands about this possibly being the best St Louis team ever but I'm not sure that I agree.  Recruiting the islands has become a bit more accessible as the reputation of high school football in Hawai'i has grown nationwide and I think that the current team has benefitted from that increased visibility.  But, as hawaiiboy396 pointed out, the current team lacks a consistent running attack and to me that is a big thing that keeps me from being able to compare this team favorably with some of the Crusader teams of the 1990's.

That said, it'll still be an interesting test to see how they can handle a team like STA. I'm guessing the high-end talent on each team will be similar, but the big thing I would like to see is how St Louis' depth of talent compares with a true blue-chip program.  Either way it's a good opportunity to build the reputation of Hawai'i football on a national scale.

My good college buddy went to and played for St. Louis in the mid 90's. I moved out there from NJ for work about 15 years ago for a brief stint and got to know more about the program. Those were some powerhouse teams they had back in the 90's with nasty O Lines including standout college and pros in Dominic Raiola and Olin Kreutz.