Good chance we won't see a single football game played in 2020...or 2021.

badrouter

Word from the medical community is that there won't be the kind of freedom needed to fully open society for more than a month at a time until a vaccine is available. And the optimistic time frame on that is eighteen (18) months, or about seventy-eight (78) weeks. That puts us in late September of 2021, optimistically. So, perhaps they could have some sort of abridged 2021 season. Go ahead and forget 2020. 

The handwriting on the wall. 

• Sad 1

If we do indeed end up going two full years without a game played, does this lead to significant numbers of kids giving the game up, all together? And if that happens, might we have seen the end of the sport? 

This all looks preposterous as I type it. But not really any more preposterous than so many other things we are seeing now. 

7 hours ago, badrouter said:

If we do indeed end up going two full years without a game played, does this lead to significant numbers of kids giving the game up, all together? And if that happens, might we have seen the end of the sport? 

This all looks preposterous as I type it. But not really any more preposterous than so many other things we are seeing now. 

Little will be the same if this goes on for two years, especially businesses. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm pretty optimistic things will be fairly normal by this summer. From what I'm hearing from friends back in Italy, they expect a return to normalcy by the end of May and they were much harder hit than we have been so far. 

China lied about their numbers but they're opening up shopping malls and resuming normal life again after about two months and I don't think they'd be doing that if they didn't have a good handle on the virus.

I think it'll be much longer before international flights and cross border traffic become the norm again though.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglesinsider said:

I'm pretty optimistic things will be fairly normal by this summer. From what I'm hearing from friends back in Italy, they expect a return to normalcy by the end of May and they were much harder hit than we have been so far. 

China lied about their numbers but they're opening up shopping malls and resuming normal life again after about two months and I don't think they'd be doing that if they didn't have a good handle on the virus.

I think it'll be much longer before international flights and cross border traffic become the norm again though.

The coronovirus is expected to return in the late fall or winter in perhaps a worse wave.  While it will still be too soon for a vaccine the hope is that there will be a successful treatment.

As badrouter asked above, will the game be the same?  Will kids still want to play it? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

The coronovirus is expected to return in the late fall or winter in perhaps a worse wave.  While it will still be too soon for a vaccine the hope is that there will be a successful treatment.

As badrouter asked above, will the game be the same?  Will kids still want to play it? 

I think it’s a lot to ask of school districts and BOE to return to normalcy without these safeguards and assurances in place (vaccines, treatment)  At the moment I’m not confident we see football in the fall. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I think it’s a lot to ask of school districts and BOE to return to normalcy without these safeguards and assurances in place (vaccines, treatment)  At the moment I’m not confident we see football in the fall. 

I agree.  This is suppose to last into July or August.  If this is true (and perhaps residual effects later) you’re not going to have football practice starting up where one may still be able to affect another.

But the real question is how is a fan going to feel comfortable sitting in a stadium with 100,000+ others?  Or 1,000 others?  Or 100 others?

I hope I am wrong but as above especially until there is a vaccine (1+ years) all athletics are questionable.  Realistically it may be the fall of 2022.

• Like 1

Just now, BigDrop said:

I agree.  This is suppose to last into July or August.  If this is true (and perhaps residual effects later) you’re not going to have football practice starting up where one may still be able to affect another.

But the real question is how is a fan going to feel comfortable sitting in a stadium with 100,000+ others?  Or 1,000 others?  Or 100 others?

I hope I am wrong but as above especially until there is a vaccine (1+ years) all athletics are questionable.  Realistically it may be the fall of 2022.

I think very cautiously,  especially since we are practicing social distancing and self isolation.  After a while we will become conditioned to that lifestyle