The Stock Market

DarterBlue

3 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Good for Boeing. But the major problem it and Airbus face, is the steep decline in commercial and passenger travel. Ignoring the debacle with the 747 Max, which alone would make me avoid BA, the company will have major business issues for the next two years at least. I would personally avoid this stock. 

Orange county ca votes to open schools no masks no social distancing

https://news.yahoo.com/o-c-education-panel-supports-220630052.html

This will end very badly. The rich in Orange County think they are immune. The forget many of the teachers are not of their class background. The more people ignore history, the more they repeat it. 

Disney's policies are very curious, indeed. I think the reopening of Disney World here in OTown, is a huge risk I would not have taken. Sadly, although I won't be going to any of the parks it will indirectly increase my risk of exposure. 

51 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Good for Boeing. But the major problem it and Airbus face, is the steep decline in commercial and passenger travel. Ignoring the debacle with the 747 Max, which alone would make me avoid BA, the company will have major business issues for the next two years at least. I would personally avoid this stock. 

This will end very badly. The rich in Orange County think they are immune. The forget many of the teachers are not of their class background. The more people ignore history, the more they repeat it. 

Disney's policies are very curious, indeed. I think the reopening of Disney World here in OTown, is a huge risk I would not have taken. Sadly, although I won't be going to any of the parks it will indirectly increase my risk of exposure. 

Orange County,CA and Orange County,FL are both...

Very special places... 

Disney knows they shouldn't be open right now... 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Orange County,CA and Orange County,FL are both...

Very special places... 

Disney knows they shouldn't be open right now... 

They were responsible in the first phase, shutting down before the county imposed quarantine orders. They are being irresponsible now. I understand they have shareholders they need to placate. But, I don't think opening up when the positive rate is 18% on the metro Orlando area, is a wise idea. 

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

They were responsible in the first phase, shutting down before the county imposed quarantine orders. They are being irresponsible now. I understand they have shareholders they need to placate. But, I don't think opening up when the positive rate is 18% on the metro Orlando area, is a wise idea. 

I thought you stayed in Daytona Beach

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

No, live in Apopka which is part of metro Orlando. It is about 17 miles northwest of downtown. My friend @dan in daytonawho used to post on this board, was one of about 10 of us that used to hang out at the state title games. He is the Daytona guy. 

Ok so I was getting y'all mixed up... 

I got alot of family in Orlando

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

They have realized that virtual learning doesn't work and wants kid back in the classroom where they will learn. As u know america doesn't exactly match up to the rest of the world in education. For all the money we spend on education this country is pretty dumb. 

9 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Ok so I was getting y'all mixed up... 

I got alot of family in Orlando

What part of town do they live in? Orlando metro is close to 2 million people, but they are very spread out. Downtown, feels like a smaller metro area, but the airport is way more trafficked than most comparable sized metro areas due to the very large number of tourists that visit. 

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

They have realized that virtual learning doesn't work and wants kid back in the classroom where they will learn. As u know america doesn't exactly match up to the rest of the world in education. For all the money we spend on education this country is pretty dumb. 

Virtual learning can work if done properly. Many Florida kids already opt for that route in high school. Their graduation rates are comparable to the kids that attend regular school. If my kids were still in school, I would lobby my employer to work from home, and have them do virtual learning for the upcoming school year. That way I could properly supervise them.

No way would I expose them to the risks of attending regular classes right now. Just not wort it. 

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Virtual learning can work if done properly. Many Florida kids already opt for that route in high school. Their graduation rates are comparable to the kids that attend regular school. If my kids were still in school, I would lobby my employer to work from home, and have them do virtual learning for the upcoming school year. That way I could properly supervise them.

No way would I expose them to the risks of attending regular classes right now. Just not wort it. 

I know people in college here in NY when I went to college who hated online learning. Felt they got very little out of it and it just simply didn't work for them. And that's at the college level

There is no way it will work for elementary or middle school students and I could only imagine the amount of HS students that would struggle 

Plus with online services the amount of kids with an IEP would never get the extra accommodations they are entitled too 

8 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

What part of town do they live in? Orlando metro is close to 2 million people, but they are very spread out. Downtown, feels like a smaller metro area, but the airport is way more trafficked than most comparable sized metro areas due to the very large number of tourists that visit. 

I got Family in Orlando proper, Kissimmee and Winter Park. 

I know people in college here in NY when I went to college who hated online learning. Felt they got very little out of it and it just simply didn't work for them. And that's at the college level

There is no way it will work for elementary or middle school students and I could only imagine the amount of HS students that would struggle 

Plus with online services the amount of kids with an IEP would never get the extra accommodations they are entitled too 

It can. It depends on who their parents are, on their innate ability, and the extent to which they were exposed to books and mathematics at an early age. Unfortunately, the poor would suffer the most, as in general, their parents are least able and likely to provide the environment and resources for it to work.  

1 minute ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I got Family in Orlando proper, Kissimmee and Winter Park. 

Okay, that's a pretty wide area. Also, Kissimmee and Winter Park are quite different communities. One of my kids actually attended Winter Park High School for two years, as he initially enrolled in the IB program there before transferring to his home school for his junior and senior years. 

It can. It depends on who their parents are, on their innate ability, and the extent to which they were exposed to books and mathematics at an early age. Unfortunately, the poor would suffer the most, as in general, their parents are least able and likely to provide the environment and resources for it to work.  

I live in a pretty modest area. The amount of kids in the local school district that have IEP are pretty substantial. More and more people cannot help their kids and rely on their kids getting help at school. 

Parents need school to basically babysit their kids for the day. 

And their are more and more students that will fall behind due to online learning

13 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Most of my mom's side of the family is split between California,Florida and Georgia... 

We where able to trace her side all the way back to a plantation from Macon,GA... 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Okay, that's a pretty wide area. Also, Kissimmee and Winter Park are quite different communities. One of my kids actually attended Winter Park High School for two years, as he initially enrolled in the IB program there before transferring to his home school for his junior and senior years. 

German study

https://news.yahoo.com/german-study-finds-no-evidence-164704005.html

I live in a pretty modest area. The amount of kids in the local school district that have IEP are pretty substantial. More and more people cannot help their kids and rely on their kids getting help at school. 

Parents need school to basically babysit their kids for the day. 

And their are more and more students that will fall behind due to online learning

I was born a lot poorer than you. But that did not stop me getting an education. My kids started with the advantage of having parents that both had graduate degrees. They got them because they saw the value of an education. I live in a fairly modest neighborhood. I realize that many of the kids here would have difficulty with on-line learning. Hell, they already have difficulty with in-school learning. School should not be a place to baby sit kids. It should be a place where they are taught meaningful things that benefit them when they grow up. Education in the USA is failing miserably in this endeavor. It particularly hurts the working class and below. I am glad that my K-12 was not done here. It may sound arrogant of me, but I believe I got a better education out of the Jamaican public school system than if I had gone to public school here. 

I was born a lot poorer than you. But that did not stop me getting an education. My kids started with the advantage of having parents that both had graduate degrees. They got them because they saw the value of an education. I live in a fairly modest neighborhood. I realize that many of the kids here would have difficulty with on-line learning. Hell, they already have difficulty with in-school learning. School should not be a place to baby sit kids. It should be a place where they are taught meaningful things that benefit them when they grow up. Education in the USA is failing miserably in this endeavor. It particularly hurts the working class and below. I am glad that my K-12 was not done here. It may sound arrogant of me, but I believe I got a better education out of the Jamaican public school system than if I had gone to public school here. 

No ur right. I cant disagree with you

Please read the German study i quoted u on also 

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

No ur right. I cant disagree with you

Please read the German study i quoted u on also 

I just looked at the German study and replied to it. I respect the Germans and believe the study is unbiased. But I would not risk sending my kids to school in this environment.