The Stock Market

DarterBlue

Just now, DarterBlue said:

I just looked at the German study and replied to it. I respect the Germans and believe the study is unbiased. But I would not risk sending my kids to school in this environment. 

Oh ok sorry.

So let's just summary this

Corona can't be passed in schools or protests or big box retailers 

But can be passed in restaurants bars etc 

Like everyone has said this is one amazing virus 

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

To be honest, the virus is too new for any of these studies to be conclusive. Therefore, I would err on the side of caution. I would not risk my family's health to benefit domestic politics. 

we sacrifice our lives daily to keep the country going 

5 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Oh ok sorry.

So let's just summary this

Corona can't be passed in schools or protests or big box retailers 

But can be passed in restaurants bars etc 

Like everyone has said this is one amazing virus 

Covid-19 can be passed on in any situation where people cannot socially distance effectively. Of that, I am sure. Now they are probably degrees to which it can be passed on depending on: 1. Age of the individuals. 2. Whether it is indoors or outdoors. 3. The extent to which people are talking, particularly loudly, shouting, chanting or singing. My take is, avoid crowds for now, avoid contact with multiple people which reduces my ability to control whether they are wearing masks or not. Avoid, avoid, avoid, ... until there is an effective cure, vaccine, or the virus exhausts its path through the USA and goes away (if we are lucky). Till then, I will lay low and wait it out as best I can. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

Covid-19 can be passed on in any situation where people cannot socially distance effectively. Of that, I am sure. Now they are probably degrees to which it can be passed on depending on: 1. Age of the individuals. 2. Whether it is indoors or outdoors. 3. The extent to which people are talking, particularly loudly, shouting, chanting or singing. My take is, avoid crowds for now, avoid contact with multiple people which reduces my ability to control whether they are wearing masks or not. Avoid, avoid, avoid, ... until there is an effective cure, vaccine, or the virus exhausts its path through the USA and goes away (if we are lucky). Till then, I will lay low and wait it out as best I can. 

So than why is anything allowed to be open? 

I've been on 2 road trips and I've been to the bar about a dozen times. 

I feel great

Stocks closed broadly and significantly higher on lower volume. At the close, the range was from a gain of .82% on the NASDAQ 100 to 2.13% on the DOW, which more than regained the gains given up yesterday. Secondary stocks were also strong with the Russell gaining 1.76% on the MID cap index, 1.61%. Most indices, with the notable exception of the two NASDAQ ones recouped yesterday’s losses. The close does not tell the full tale. At day lows recorded around 10:20 am, the NASDAQ indices were down close to 200 points each. Both found support at or around their rising 21-day moving averages. Advancing stocks led by margins of 19-10 on the NYSE and 21-13 on the NASDAQ. This was curiously less than impressive breadth, given the strength in the secondary indices, and reflected the fact that technology stocks had a less than stellar day. What’s my take on the day’s action? Overall, it was bullish and shows the strength of this bull market move. However, noteworthy is the fact that there seems to be a change in leadership as the strong NASDAQ, technology types, seem to be taking a backseat to the rest of the market, at least over the first two days of this week. Provided the technology that led the market does not roll over, but merely consolidates its gains, in the process ceding leadership, I have no problem and actually view the development as healthy for the bull market. However, if technology rolls over, then I think we move into a steep corrective phase as the rest of the market has neither the strength nor the fundamentals to take the averages higher over the intermediate to longer term without the technology stocks participating. The next few days should be interesting.

On the day, I closed up, $5,159, regaining about 30% of yesterday’s losses. The gain represented .92% of my portfolio value. Thus, I tracked the two NASDAQ indices, but underperformed the broad market. My big loser was TEAM which fell below its 50-day moving average and back into the base it had carved out over the preceding five and a half weeks after breaking out to new highs last week. However, I am still not yet ready to give up on this one, but will monitor its action carefully. If it breaks $165, that would be my first sell point. A second, wider sell point, which is the absolute line in the sand is $160. My big winners on the day were the non-technology issues: LCII, LOW, the S&P Options and the MDY which scored gains of between 1.5% and over 4% on the day. SHOP, TTD, and ZM all moved modestly, with the former two up on the day, and ZM down minimally. As I type this, the futures are up significantly on good news regarding a Covid-19 vaccine. If this holds, tomorrow could turn out to be a very good day, and Monday’s suspect action will be gone but not forgotten, at least not forgotten by me.

More Wild Action Ahead? The financial futures point to a nicely higher open today. Could Monday's sharp downside reversal have been a one day phenomenon? Perhaps, but like so much of June's action, it should not be dismissed even if we go higher from here. It could be that this bull move is just maturing. After all, we were on an unsustainable trajectory. The velocity of the uptrend was neither reasonable nor supported by any precedent I can think of. So, perhaps, the bouts of stalling and other signs of distribution evident since the first third of June, could be this market's way of correcting for it, of signalling a return to normality. Of course, perhaps, it could be signalling that this run is not slated to last, as more and more new cases of Covid-19 pile up. 

Surveying the market since June 11, it has been markedly bifurcated. For while the two NASDAQ indices have gone on to new all-time highs, all other indices have been consolidating below the peaks recorded just before that negative day. The S&P has shown signs of wanting to move higher and beyond the price levels recorded then. But so far, it has yet to do so, as its best try was repelled on Monday when it reversed lower. It seems that another attempt will be made today, should the strength in the futures hold up into the market's open. From a composition standpoint, it should be interesting to see whether it can do so. During late June and the first half of July, it was caught between too pronounced trends. On the one hand, its large NASDAQ technology components: MSFT, the FAANG stocks, CSCO, etc., provided strength while the NASDAQ was hitting new highs. On the other hand, the Oils, Cyclical Industrials, Transportation stocks, Hospitality issues, etc., served as anchors, holding it back from advancing to new highs. With Technology showing signs of a temporary (at least) peak, the question is whether the anchors will change complexion and propel it to new highs. 

I am guardedly optimistic that at least in the immediate future the bulls will win. This market has ignored all bad news so far. As to whether this trait is one of omniscient wisdom or sublime madness is an open question; however, being first and foremost a technician, my job is not to argue with the market, but to follow its trend till it bends and breaks. It has not done so yet ... so, I will continue to enjoy the ride for now ...

Deja vu: As I type this, today seems to be Monday all over again as the markets struggle to get past resistance. My experience is that when investors get repelled too often, markets have a habit of giving up and reversing their primary trend. If we close down significantly today with Monday barely in the rear view mirror, that would be extremely negative. I sincerely hope we mount a comeback and finish strong into the close. It would be a shame for this Covid-19 bull run to end so soon..  

Stocks closed broadly higher on higher volume. However, the statement does not do justice to the epic struggle today between bulls and bears. And at the close, the trend in the market was still unresolved as the S&P barely failed to take out it’s early June highs, though it has now filled the Island in the reversal day of June 11. With that said, it was a positive day, as I will elaborate further on. At day’s close, the gains ranged from a miniscule .11% on the NASDAQ 100 to a sparkling 3.5% on the Russell 2000. Secondary stocks were the stars of the day as the market’s recent rotation continued. There was also a marked divergence between big NASDAQ at .11% and the broad, NASDAQ index which gained a respectable .59%. It was the big stocks, the FAANGS, that had a mediocre day. Advancing stocks held comfortable leads of 5-1 and 4.5-1 on the NYSE and NASDAQ, respectively. So, why was the day very positive in my opinion? 1. Positive closing on higher volume. 2. Broad participation by many stocks. 3. We are at the top of the five week trading range and it would only take a decent day tomorrow to breakthrough it. 4. Performance was strong despite quite a bit of negative news. Offsetting the positives was the fact that the indices closed below the day highs which were made at 10:56 am less than 1.5 hours into the session. The battle between bulls and bears goes into another round as it was not resolved.

On the day, I was up $7,118, or 1.26%. These were solid gains that handily beat the headline indices (two NASDAQ, DOW and S&P), but which paled in comparison to the Russell and S&P MID Cap index. My big winners on the day were: LCII, the S&P Calls and the MDY. LOW, TEAM and TTD all closed with modest gains. On the negative side of the ledger, ZM and SHOP lost about 2% each. With three days of the trading week now in the books, I am still down over $5,400 on the week, despite being ahead two of the three days. Onward to tomorrow. Who knows what strange action the day will bring?

3 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@DarterBlue wtf is this shit

D49E5576-9DED-4AEB-AA5F-599B161658DA.png

?? If it's not a scam, Bloomberg says if you send him $1,000 he will send back $2,000. Me, I would not do it. Why do I need to send him money to get back money? If he feels like giving away his fortune, why doesn't he just get an accurate list of New York City residents and send them a $1,000? The whole thing seems odd to me. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

?? If it's not a scam, Bloomberg says if you send him $1,000 he will send back $2,000. Me, I would not do it. Why do I need to send him money to get back money? If he feels like giving away his fortune, why doesn't he just get an accurate list of New York City residents and send them a $1,000? The whole thing seems odd to me. 

It ain’t photoshopped ,, I went right on his official Twitter 

11 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Massive social media hack is happening as we speak 

67BC0C1B-970B-4766-BCA7-0C8C5E423077.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Further Dithering: A lot could change between now and the open, particularly with employment numbers and retail sales being due at 8:30 am, but as of now, yesterday is looking like another failed attempt to penetrate new high ground by the market. Since June 11, with the exception of the NASDAQ indices, the averages have been in a consolidation mode. This week, the NASDAQ indices have under performed each day, the casualty of sharp rotation out of the technology types that have led the Covid-19 market rally. Thus, rather than leading the rest of the market to higher ground, it seems that they, too, have now joined the consolidation brigade. While it was necessary for the rest of the market to participate in the rally, cyclicals and secondary stocks cannot lead the market to new highs this cycle. The fundamentals just are not there. And, unfortunately, they won't be till there is a semblance of control of the virus's spread. Mandated or not, people will restrict their economic activity in the face of this pandemic till it is perceived that a measure of safety and stability has been restored. Therefore, without the participation of technology, the best we can probably hope for is further consolidation in the near future. This is probably not a bad thing. The rise off the bottom, even with a less troubling backdrop was too rapid to be sustainable.

So, let's hope this is what it is: a consolidation that sets us up for further upside later. The alternative would be that the recent action is the beginning of a topping formation. If this is what it is, then we have certainly had advanced warning. For unlike the crash we had back in February, the action has certainly flashed its fair share of warning signs since June 11.