The Stock Market

DarterBlue

8 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

I have placed limit orders to do the following: Buy 143 shares of TTD (The Trading Desk); Buy 270 Shares of LLY (EliLilly); and buy 12 contracts of the SPY strike 293, Aug Calls. The limits are less than a percent below the current indicated open for each of the above so unless we gap up and keep going without any kind of pullback they will likely get filled.

TTD and LLY were purchased. The calls never traded to the limit price. At day's close I was up on TTD and down on LLY. 

Stocks gapped up at the open and closed broadly higher and close to day highs. Volume rose on the NASDAQ and was flat on the NYSE. NASDAQ type issues led the rally and small cap stocks were especially strong. At the close the range was from a gain of 1.52% on both the DOW and NYSE to 3% on the Russell 2000. Advancing stocks led by comfortable margins of 4-1 and 3.5-1 on the NYSE and NASDAQ. Of note, several stocks in the semiconductor and semiconductor equipment groups broke out of good looking consolidations. All in all, it was a very constructive day for investors and traders who were long stocks.

On a personal note, I purchased 270 shares of LLY and 143 shares of TTD. Like ZM, TTD was a repurchase as I had sold both last Thursday. I believe I was wrong and thus have reestablished these positions. At day’s close, I had profits in ZM and TTD and a loss in LLY. Of note is the fact that my LLY limit order filled at a price of well over a percentage below the limit order. This raises a red flag. Normally, your future winners are hard to buy. This one proved too easy to buy and proceeded to close lower than the reduced purchase price. Clearly the position bears close watching. I did not get a fill on the call options o the SPY. I may try again, but only if the price is right.

2 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Just a fyi that the deadline for contributing to an IRA for 2019 is July 15th, which is the same deadline due date for the first two quarters of 2020 estimated taxes.   

So, they extended it to match the tax deadline extension. Makes sense, I guess. 

14 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

I did not get a fill on the call options o the SPY. I may try again, but only if the price is right.

I bought 12 Call contracts, strike 296, August 2020 expiration for prices ranging from 14.50 to 14.60. With that, I now own: 246 ZM, 270 LLY, 143 TTD, and the 12 calls. I likely will sit back for the next few days and see how these do, individually and collectively.

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

That's awesome! I am happy for you. 

🙏 

that’s all you, I never made a profit with those penny stocks, wasn’t until your advice and pointers, not telling me what stocks to buy but the strategy on picking what stock to buy

at one point my Portfolio hit 34% increase today I was gonna sell everything and enjoy the profit, but a I got a feeling it’s gonna dip again and have one more skyrocket 5DB0D1B8-46E5-46F5-BEC6-D30658A7E806.thumb.png.5db357f1e62bc2bf3da25e786b80e3de.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

that’s all you, I never made a profit with those penny stocks, wasn’t until your advice and pointers, not telling me what stocks to buy but the strategy on picking what stock to buy

I like to teach others "how to fish." But at the end of the day, they have to catch their own. There are many ways to make money in the markets. But there are just as many to lose money, too. A beginner needs to understand this and avoid the ways to lose money. This does not mean you won't have losses. Show me a trader or investor that has never lost, and I will show you the world's greatest liar. What it does mean is that you will employ strategies that will put the odds in your favor;  and that means you will make money over time. 

• Like 3

Stocks closed mostly lower on lower volume today. Noteworthy is the fact that secondary issues represented by the Russell 2000 and S&P Mid Cap indices bucked the trend and closed higher. That is a good sign for this bull run. At the close the range was from a loss of 1.13% for the NASDAQ 100 to a gain of .33% for the Mid Cap index. On the NYSE, advancing stocks held a 15-14 lead. However, on the NASDAQ, declining stocks led 19-13. For a negative headline day, it was not at all bad coming on the big, positive up day recorded on Wednesday. Therefore, I believe we will continue higher over the next week.

On the day, I purchased 12 call options on the S&P ETF. They were the August $296, calls. I paid a price of $14.6 for them. Well, at the least my purchase was premature, as at day’s close they traded about $1 lower. This was the difference in my account today, as my three long stock positions cancelled themselves out as TTD had a very good up-day in the face of NASDAQ weakness which cancelled out losses in ZM and LLY. LLY has not performed well since I bought it Wednesday and I now have a bothersome loss in it. It did, however, hold support at its 50/12 day exponential moving averages and closed in the upper half of its daily trading range. So, that is a good sign. However, it undercuts today’s lows and does not immediately bounce back intra day over the next few trading days, I will say good bye. Because of the hasty purchase of the call options, I was down $1,176 on the day. All of the loss was attributable to the options.

3 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Stocks closed mostly lower on lower volume today. Noteworthy is the fact that secondary issues represented by the Russell 2000 and S&P Mid Cap indices bucked the trend and closed higher. That is a good sign for this bull run. At the close the range was from a loss of 1.13% for the NASDAQ 100 to a gain of .33% for the Mid Cap index. On the NYSE, advancing stocks held a 15-14 lead. However, on the NASDAQ, declining stocks led 19-13. For a negative headline day, it was not at all bad coming on the big, positive up day recorded on Wednesday. Therefore, I believe we will continue higher over the next week.

On the day, I purchased 12 call options on the S&P ETF. They were the August $296, calls. I paid a price of $14.6 for them. Well, at the least my purchase was premature, as at day’s close they traded about $1 lower. This was the difference in my account today, as my three long stock positions cancelled themselves out as TTD had a very good up-day in the face of NASDAQ weakness which cancelled out losses in ZM and LLY. LLY has not performed well since I bought it Wednesday and I now have a bothersome loss in it. It did, however, hold support at its 50/26 day exponential moving averages and closed in the upper half of its daily trading range. So, that is a good sign. However, it undercuts today’s lows and does not immediately bounce back intra day over the next few trading days, I will say good bye. Because of the hasty purchase of the call options, I was down $1,176 on the day. All of the loss was attributable to the options.

This may be considered taboo, so forgive me: about how much have you pocketed from investing (after taxes)? 

3 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

This may be considered taboo, so forgive me: about how much have you pocketed from investing (after taxes)? 

I can't give you a precise number as I have both added and withdrawn from my accounts over the years. I would estimate roughly that about 75% of what is in my accounts at this time represents profits from the market. Another measure of relative success is the fact that for the past twenty two years, my biggest draw down (peak to trough) period of sustained losses has been under 10%. This 22 year period has covered two major secular bear markets, as well as three other cyclical bear markets. The two huge bear markets saw the NASDAQ lose 78% of its value (dotcom bubble) and the S&P lose close to 60% of its value (housing bubble financial crisis). In both instances I was largely in cash. In the latter, I periodically shorted the market on the way down.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

Oh, oh, what's that about, man. You're only supposed to drink when you celebrate a great trade. 

Lol 😂 I still had my best week but today was brutal, 

I knew the 1 Stock was gonna dip but god damn not Plummet

all good , just don’t like seeing $600 taken out of my wallet in one day

7 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Lol 😂 I still had my best week but today was brutal, 

I knew the 1 Stock was gonna dip but god damn not Plummet

all good , just don’t like seeing $600 taken out of my wallet in one day

I don't like it either, but it happens. One thing about this game is that even if you are very successful, you will have bad trades and bad days. The key is to not let them go to your head too much. To focus on what gives you an edge and remember that in the long run if you do have an edge, then you will be successful. 

Sometimes when I have bad days in the market, I will just go to a local park and watch the little kids running around carefree and all, or the young lovers embracing. It helps me put things in perspective. The loss is not that deep. I just need to focus on keeping them small and the wins big. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I don't like it either, but it happens. One thing about this game is that even if you are very successful, you will have bad trades and bad days. The key is to not let them go to your head too much. To focus on what gives you an edge and remember that in the long run if you do have an edge, then you will be successful. 

Sometimes when I have bad days in the market, I will just go to a local park and watch the little kids running around carefree and all, or the young lovers embracing. It helps me put things in perspective. The loss is not that deep. I just need to focus on keeping them small and the wins big. 

Ya A hike and walk would have been great to get my head clear, 

I was pissed, didn’t wanna talk  to no one at work, kept checking my phone every 30 mins praying it to stop...

it’s a learning process, you just gotta get settled and not panic 

41 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

it’s a learning process, you just gotta get settled and not panic 

That sentence perfectly describes it. It's a lifelong learning process. Panic is the enemy. Calm is what needs to be maintained. When something bad happens, have a plan for it before it happens. That way, if it does, you already know what the right thing to do is. That way you do not panic. 

• Like 1

Stocks closed mixed but at or near day highs. Volume declined. At the close the range was from a loss of .17% on the NYSE composite to a gain of .59% on the Russell 2000. Advancing stocks led 16-13 and 19-14 on the NYSE and NASDAQ. On the week, the averages were up big. However, almost all the gains, except for the Russell index were attained on Monday when all stocks were up big. For the most part, the rest of the week was a wash. Currently, with the exception of the two NASDAQ indices which are within striking distance of new all-time highs, the other indices seem to be running up against resistance at key moving averages and are having problems breaking through decisively. At this juncture, the odds say they end up doing so. However, it may take another week or two for the current drama between bulls and bears to play out.

On a personal note, on the day, I was up approximately $600. However, on the week I sustained losses of approximately $7,900. Almost all of these losses were sustained on Monday when I was caught short on a gap to the upside and lost $7,600. Since that time, I have reentered the market on the long side, buying three stocks: TTD, LLY and ZM. I have also gone long 12 call option contracts on the August S&P ETF. These positions have been a mixed bag, with TTD solidly in the black, LLY solidly in the red, and ZM hardly changed from the purchase price. The options are down, but one decent day to the upside in the underlying index would erase that. Of the four positions I am most concerned about LLY. For the past two days it has traded down to support at its 50-day moving average which, surprisingly, also coincides with its 12-day moving average. Each time it has bounced off it successfully, briefly breaching the 12 day on Thursday, but closing well above it. Still, it is on a short leash, and failure to hold these areas of support will result in my taking the loss and moving on. I am comfortable with the other three positions at this time.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:36 PM, FootballGuy said:

UAL: Plateaued at first, went down then came back up a little bit.....then went down a lot and has been yoyo'ing ever since.

AAL: Plateaued in the beginning then increased slightly only to decrease and started yoyo'ing as well. 

DAL: Same trend as the first one.....for the most part.

LUV: Same rend as AAL.

All of these are for the year. What I noticed is that they've been fluctuating because of the coronavirus. I personally feel like the share price will eventually go back up because people still have to travel at the end of the day. When will the share price go up? Hard to say, but since the share price is low, I feel like now is a good time to invest.....for short term and long term results. I'm straddling the fence on short and long term because it's hard to determine how long it'll take for things to get back to normal. But as of now, it's either hit or miss for this particular industry. 

So, I have taken an updated look at the above airlines. Three: UAL, AAL and DAL are showing clear signs of wanting to put in a meaningful (U shaped bottom). They are yet to complete the right side of the budding pattern, but show promise of doing so. The other, LUV, has bounced significantly off a 52-week low. If the first three bottom, it is possible LUV may have already completed a V. V's are almost always less reliable than U's in marking bottoms. Why? Not enough time has been spent shaking out the last of the losing traders and investors. Thus, when they bounce, these individuals take the opportunity to sell and recoup at least some of their losses. Thus, significant overhead resistance is created. Does it mean that V's can't work? No, at times anything can. If it turns out that the first three complete successful U's, then LUV may actually end up leading the entire group higher. In analyzing airlines, it may make sense for you to do so in conjunction with hotels, as the two industries share many of the same economic fortunes. Thus, if you are serious about UAL, in addition to the other three airlines, you may wish to follow: H, HTL and MAR, to name a few major players from the hotel group.

@imaGoodBoyNow you may want to read this post, too. 

Why did I take the time to post this? Airlines seem to be making a bottom. So, if UAL is your preferred vehicle, you may want to follow it very carefully here as a relatively low risk buy point may be on the horizon. 

You are welcome!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

So, I have taken an updated look at the above airlines. Three: UAL, AAL and DAL are showing clear signs of wanting to put in a meaningful (U shaped bottom). They are yet to complete the right side of the budding pattern, but show promise of doing so. The other, LUV, has bounced significantly off a 52-week low. If the first three bottom, it is possible LUV may have already completed a V. V's are almost always less reliable than U's in marking bottoms. Why? Not enough time has been spent shaking out the last of the losing traders and investors. Thus, when they bounce, these individuals take the opportunity to sell and recoup at least some of their losses. Thus, significant overhead resistance is created. Does it mean that V's can't work? No, at times anything can. If it turns out that the first three complete successful U's, then LUV may actually end up leading the entire group higher. In analyzing airlines, it may make sense for you to do so in conjunction with hotels, as the two industries share many of the same economic fortunes. Thus, if you are serious about UAL, in addition to the other three airlines, you may wish to follow: H, HTL and MAR, to name a few major players from the hotel group.

@imaGoodBoyNow you may want to read this post, too. 

Why did I take the time to post this? Airlines seem to be making a bottom. So, if UAL is your preferred vehicle, you may want to follow it very carefully here as a relatively low risk buy point may be on the horizon. 

You are welcome!

Okay I was staying away from airlines and hotels, I’ll start to look in to it later today

i was actually thinking about buying few shares of Lemon Tree hotels who looked like they bottomed out and stock went up 5% Friday 

22 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

i was actually thinking about buying few shares of Lemon Tree hotels who looked like they bottomed out and stock went up 5% Friday 

The Indian based company? Speculative, but interesting. Covid seems to be increasing in the Indian subcontinent, though, so I am not sure if the stock's ready for a big move yet.