The Stock Market

DarterBlue

1 minute ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Lol this isn’t 1997,, if your not investing a hundred thousand, your probably not making much 

Funnily, I owned it in 1997. So, I guess if I were a total buy and hold guy, I would be worth $100 million today. No regrets, though. I don't have the capacity to own something over decades. My longest time in one position was a little over two years and that is at the extreme. My usual winners are gone within a month to six months depending on market conditions. 

On 5/17/2020 at 10:06 AM, DarterBlue said:

Some keys to successful trading:

• Always do your homework. By following this tenant, you will be prepared for opportunities when they present themselves, and you will get flat quickly when the markets move in the opposite direction of your trades.
  • Predetermine how much you are willing to lose on each trade. If the trade does not go in your favor, cut your losses quickly.
  • When you have a winning trade, try and let your profits run. You can bat .500 and still make a hefty profit if your winners gain twice as much or more than your losers lose.
  • Manage your overall portfolio risk. Nothing is more damaging to your wealth and confidence than a big, unbudgeted loss.
  • Develop a trading system. A simple system can work. The system should include: 1. Portfolio risk management; 2. Tailored indicators which give - setups, triggers, and exit points; 3. A mental approach to the markets compatible with your own personality.
  • Trade your own ideas, or at the very least if you trade a recommendation, run it through your own filters (see trading system above) to make sure this trade works for you.
  • Don't let success or failure impact you psychologically. Pride goeth before a fall, and a bruised ego will contribute to mistakes.
  • This one I got from Victor Sperandeo, don't let the markets interfere with the more important things in life. Connect with your significant other and your children. Don't neglect good friendships. At the end of the day, as Neal Diamond's song said, "Money talks, but it don't sing and dance ...           "
  • If you have a series of bad trades, take a timeout, or at the very least reduce position size till you are back in gear. 
  • From Tom Basso, "Enjoy the Ride."
  • Read some good books on trading and investing. Make sure they are compatible with what you plan to do. You can get wisdom and inspiration from some of them for under $25 and for free if you use the local library. 
  • Observe the market's action in real time, it gives you a sense of its rhythm which will, in the future, alert you to meaningful changes in its complexion.

Develop a trading system. A simple system can work. The system should include: 1. Portfolio risk management; 2. Tailored indicators which give - setups, triggers, and exit points; 3. A mental approach to the markets compatible with your own personality.

Observe the market's action in real time, it gives you a sense of its rhythm which will, in the future, alert you to meaningful changes in its complexion. 

Like it.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

It is a stock I have owned on and off over the years. It has a strong chart. It may be a good trade. But probably an average long term investment at current valuations. 

Well I guess I'll trade that stock. I hear United Airlines is a hot stock to invest in right now. 

After trading mixed with a slightly positive bias, and with the traditional leadership of this market rally outperforming, stocks got shellacked in the final hour of trading on lower volume. Moreover, there was really no news item that, at least to my way of thinking, explains the rapid fall late in the day. Needless to say, coming a day after a huge rally it was far from an ideal day. The range on the day was from a loss of .36% on the NASDAQ 100 to 1.95% on the Russell 2000. Just before 3 pm, the NASDAQ 10 had been up approximately 1%. So, though the loss at the close was mild, the fall over the course of an hour was pretty impressive. At the close, losing stocks led advancing stocks by margins of 18-11 and 5-3 on the NYSE and NASDAQ. While yesterday’s rally places the market firmly in an uptrend, it is symptomatic of a market that lacks conviction that we sold off so sharply into the close today. I suspect that for the near future, the rally will continue to be plagued by choppiness and that success will be driven more by skillful stock picking rather than the indices going into overdrive on the upside.

On a personal note, today I ventured back into the market on a tip toe basis, purchasing 246 shares of ZM at a cost of $42,481. At the close, I was up $244 on the trade despite the weakness in the final hour. While I have several other buy candidates on my list, further purchases will be done in a careful, well thought out manner. The reason is both because I took some sharp losses over the recent three day period, and due to the choppiness of the market, overall. As I mentioned in a prior post on trading rules, when you are not in gear with the market, it is best to reduce your trading exposure until you are once again in gear. Trying to force yourself into form does not usually work out well.

2 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Down 1.86%

23.68 a share

Started to trend upwards at a small rate a couple of minutes before 4 p.m.

Don't focus on day charts just yet. Trying to day trade is the downfall of the neophyte. Focus on one year charts first. They give you a big picture perspective. Once you get your feet wet in the markets and have a better feel for them, if day trading is your thing, then go for it at that time. Lots of action don't necessarily translate into profit maximization.

In addition to UAL, take a look at the following, also: AAL, DAL and LUV. They represent the remainder of the big, American  national/international airlines. After looking at all four tell me how you feel about each and, overall, the industry group. I am not trying to belittle you. I am trying to get you to view markets in a more systematic fashion. Once you master this, regardless of your ultimate trading style, you will have a chance to do well. If you are not up to doing this systematically, your performance will be like a yo yo as your equity bobs up and down usually with a downward overall drift. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Don't focus on day charts just yet. Trying to day trade is the downfall of the neophyte. Focus on one year charts first. They give you a big picture perspective. Once you get your feet wet in the markets and have a better feel for them, if day trading is your thing, then go for it at that time. Lots of action don't necessarily translate into profit maximization.

In addition to UAL, take a look at the following, also: AAL, DAL and LUV. They represent the remainder of the big, American  national/international airlines. After looking at all four tell me how you feel about each and, overall, the industry group. I am not trying to belittle you. I am trying to get you to view markets in a more systematic fashion. Once you master this, regardless of your ultimate trading style, you will have a chance to do well. If you are not up to doing this systematically, your performance will be like a yo yo as your equity bobs up and down usually with a downward overall drift. 

Aye Aye, Capt'n! 

18 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

UAL: Plateaued at first, went down then came back up a little bit.....then went down a lot and has been yoyo'ing ever since.

AAL: Plateaued in the beginning then increased slightly only to decrease and started yoyo'ing as well. 

DAL: Same trend as the first one.....for the most part.

LUV: Same rend as AAL.

All of these are for the year. What I noticed is that they've been fluctuating because of the coronavirus. I personally feel like the share price will eventually go back up because people still have to travel at the end of the day. When will the share price go up? Hard to say, but since the share price is low, I feel like now is a good time to invest.....for short term and long term results. I'm straddling the fence on short and long term because it's hard to determine how long it'll take for things to get back to normal. But as of now, it's either hit or miss for this particular industry. 

22 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

UAL: Plateaued at first, went down then came back up a little bit.....then went down a lot and has been yoyo'ing ever since.

AAL: Plateaued in the beginning then increased slightly only to decrease and started yoyo'ing as well. 

DAL: Same trend as the first one.....for the most part.

LUV: Same rend as AAL.

All of these are for the year. What I noticed is that they've been fluctuating because of the coronavirus. I personally feel like the share price will eventually go back up because people still have to travel at the end of the day. When will the share price go up? Hard to say, but since the share price is low, I feel like now is a good time to invest.....for short term and long term results. I'm straddling the fence on short and long term because it's hard to determine how long it'll take for things to get back to normal. But as of now, it's either hit or miss for this particular industry

1. The airline industry will survive. However, there are no guarantees that all of the four will survive. And, even if they all do, some may have to declare bankruptcy. In a typical bankruptcy, existing stockholders get hurt. They could lose it all, or could get diluted to the tune of some ridiculous percentage (could lose 80 or 90%) of their existing holdings via a recapitalization of some sort. Now if you buy all four and are prepared to hold them for up to 3-7 years, you will probably do fine. Buying any one of the four you could be out of luck.

2. The share prices will go back up, when the group (all or at least most of the major players in it) make a convincing bottom. How will I know when this happens? It will show up in the charts. They, one by one, but generally within the same time frame, will demonstrate that there is some price at which they all find support. They will then start to climb up the right side of their charts. At that stage they will probably make a group move which could last weeks, months or even many years. Then would be the time to buy them for intermediate term investment purposes (one to three years).  As of today, they individually and collectively have yet to make convincing bottoms. UAL actually has the best chart in that regards. But as I was reminded trading LUV in April, you can't assume that because the chart seems to be setting up for a bottom, that a bottom will actually be formed. You have to give the pattern a chance to work. Now this does not mean that UAL or all of them won't have huge up-days in the near future. Such moves can be exploited by a skilled day trader. However, it is very difficult for a beginner to do so. As of today, the individual stocks and group, don't appear to be ready to make a sustained move to the upside yet. 

I hope the above helped. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Horsefly said:

I found video of @DarterBlue  as a small child. 😂 

Nah, that kid got me beat by a long, long mile. At his age, I could tell you how to catch fresh water shrimp  and mullets, in the Buff Bay river, or I could describe and demonstrate how to make a kite. But I doubt I could have explained 25% of what that kid already knows about finance. But then again, his dad's focus seems different than my parent's focus when I was growing up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have placed limit orders to do the following: Buy 143 shares of TTD (The Trading Desk); Buy 270 Shares of LLY (EliLilly); and buy 12 contracts of the SPY strike 293, Aug Calls. The limits are less than a percent below the current indicated open for each of the above so unless we gap up and keep going without any kind of pullback they will likely get filled.

7 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Nah, that kid got me beat by a long, long mile. At his age, I could tell you how to catch fresh water shrimp  and mullets, in the Buff Bay river, or I could describe and demonstrate how to make a kite. But I doubt I could have explained 25% of what that kid already knows about finance. But then again, his dad's focus seems different than my parent's focus when I was growing up. 

Lol that kid is light years ahead of me . Good pops he’s got, big things in that kids future 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

@imaGoodBoyNow, just a fyi that Webistics was a fictional stock from a Sopranos episode and Bluestar Airlines was a fictional stock from the movie Wall Street.  

Lmao 😂 imaTerribleItalian

man last night I was surfing the internet looking for stock ticker for webistics and blue star  so I can purchase some 😏

• Haha 2