Navy firing of Capt is turning into a fiasco!

Horsefly

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

Well I see the Navy Secretary has joined the ranks of the unemployed now, too. So there is that!

Glad you guys are all excited about this. As long as your agenda is pushed, I guess. That said, not surprising at all that he had to resign after this statement. Probably not the best thing to say around today's social media driven politics. The pussified society that we live in,brought to us by our favorite liberal snowflakes, will not stand for having someone called naïve or stupid. Good grief. The SecNav was right about this guy and I support his call for his removal. But he did make his bed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blueliner said:

This Captain, the commander of a battle ready, United States nuclear powered aircraft carrier, leader of over 5,000 sailors and marines, circumvented the chain of command and sent letters to the SF Chronicle among at least another dozen outlets. This Captain just showed over 5,000 sailors and marines what NOT to do in setting this extremely bad example. The COC is in place for a reason. Being the Captain is not an easy task, and the privilege of wearing that rank entails making extremely tough decisions where people could die. He knew that when he pinned on that full-bird. This situation is no different. He (1) circumvented the COC (2) he essentially told the world that a 5 billion dollar aircraft carrier was not fit for action and perhaps vulnerable, and (3) unnecessarily freaked out untold amounts of parents, wives, and husbands. The Sec. Navy was right. Either this guy is unfit to handle the rigors of this position or he did it on purpose. Based upon what I'm hearing about this guy, I suspect the latter to be true. He may be a nice guy, but he should be gone as the leader of this carrier. He can't be trusted in that position any longer. Anyone with an iota of military background would not even question this move in my opinion. 

Is it true in fact he sent the letters to the press?  Everything I read is it was leaked to the press, by whom who knows.

2 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Is it true in fact he sent the letters to the press? 

Without knowing what he did my first thought is that there is no way someone of his position would do that.  That doesn't make sense but like I said Idk.  If he did then he deserves to be removed but if he didn't then he doesn't.  What good is a aircraft carrier without people to run it?  The Navy's most valuable asset is it's people.  

31 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Glad you guys are all excited about this. As long as your agenda is pushed, I guess. That said, not surprising at all that he had to resign after this statement. Probably not the best thing to say around today's social media driven politics. The pussified society that we live in,brought to us by our favorite liberal snowflakes, will not stand for having someone called naïve or stupid. Good grief. The SecNav was right about this guy and I support his call for his removal. But he did make his bed. 

Not sure who is excited about this and who's agenda is being pushed but no matter.

How is your retirement?  Started the move yet?  Have they tried to keep you around to help them out or are they not short on people?  

Good luck brother.  

2 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Without knowing what he did my first thought is that there is no way someone of his position would do that.  That doesn't make sense but like I said Idk.  If he did then he deserves to be removed but if he didn't then he doesn't.  What good is a aircraft carrier without people to run it?  The Navy's most valuable asset is it's people.  

Agree, all I know is it’s a mess.  The man is not some snowflake like some one stated.  From all accounts I’ve read, he’s had a stellar career. It seems odd that he would just shotgun a letter like this to the media.  

36 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

I don’t know if the secnav is right or not, but his decision to address the crew as he did when he did was dumb.  Your last part is correct, he made his bed.  

2 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Agree, all I know is it’s a mess.  The man is not some snowflake like some one stated.  From all accounts I’ve read, he’s had a stellar career. It seems odd that he would just shotgun a letter like this to the media.  

Very odd but these are odd times.   His crew told me much about his leadership and commitment to his men.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Very odd but these are odd times.   His crew told me much about his leadership and commitment to his men.  

Exactly!  You can’t dismiss that in this, his men respected him a lot!  

It also crossed my mind someone may have leaked his memo to set him up for the fall.  

im still trying to wrap my head around the Secnav getting involved when there are layers between this commander.  He’s a part of the 7th fleet, which is part of the component command for the Navy which is part of the combatant command for that region.  All of those have military leadership, why didn’t they weigh in or be the one to fire and address the sailors?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Exactly!  You can’t dismiss that in this, his men respected him a lot!  

It also crossed my mind someone may have leaked his memo to set him up for the fall.  

im still trying to wrap my head around the Secnav getting involved when there are layers between this commander.  He’s a part of the 7th fleet, which is part of the component command for the Navy which is part of the combatant command for that region.  All of those have military leadership, why didn’t they weigh in or be the one to fire and address the sailors?  

Men and women no?