Navy firing of Capt is turning into a fiasco!

Horsefly

I’ve been following the story somewhat, but the Capt of the Roosevelt sounded alarms about his crew being sick 

he was reprimanded and fired for the memo leaking to the public

the Outgoing Capt is applauded by his crewmembers

the Navy Sec then addresses the crew members and refers to the Capt as “stupid” and other unflattering names

The SECDEF orders the Navy Sec to apologize 

now trump may weigh in... 

Who do you think is right, he Navy leadership or the Capt?  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I’ve been following the story somewhat, but the Capt of the Roosevelt sounded alarms about his crew being sick 

he was reprimanded and fired for the memo leaking to the public

the Outgoing Capt is applauded by his crewmembers

the Navy Sec then addresses the crew members and refers to the Capt as “stupid” and other unflattering names

The SECDEF orders the Navy Sec to apologize 

now trump may weigh in... 

Maybe there’s something we’re missing he had to violate some rule

I don’t think anyone in leadership should ever undermined leaders. With that being said. The Navy did the right thing. He was the captain of a nuclear war ship. He all but publicized that the ship was not combat capable. Not to mention sending thousands of parents into chaos.

I have no problem with him sending the letter to his command. That is being a good leader. Leaking it out to everyone was total bullshit and he should be removed. Command has to be able to trust you. In this case the command felt he was no longer trust worthy. I agree.

I think President Trump although the CINC needs to stay clear the fuck away from this. He has leaders in place to handle this type of thing. 

2 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Maybe there’s something we’re missing he had to violate some rule

If he sent email to those out of chain of command he prob violated UCMJ. I don’t see an issue with him sending concern to top of his crews safety but he may have done it in wrong manor for unknown reasons? 

You don’t want the enemy to know your readiness is hampered. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

I don’t think anyone in leadership should ever undermined leaders. With that being said. The Navy did the right thing. He was the captain of a nuclear war ship. He all but publicized that the ship was not combat capable. Not to mention sending thousands of parents into chaos.

I have no problem with him sending the letter to his command. That is being a good leader. Leaking it out to everyone was total bullshit and he should be removed. Command has to be able to trust you. In this case the command felt he was no longer trust worthy. I agree.

I think President Trump although the CINC needs to stay clear the fuck away from this. He has leaders in place to handle this type of thing. 

Did he actually leak it though? If he addressed his command and they ignore him initially, he’s obligated to go around 

there’s a bunch of he said this,  the other said that... 

I also read the fleet CC was on board and was down the hall, if true I wonder why he wasn’t as alarmed, he was living in the same conditions 

2 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

IMO not in this case, he let every enemy of ours know he was not combat effective

True, they were potentially compromised 

Was it sent secured channels?  I don’t know.  

Someone leaked it to the public, I haven’t seen anything  that says he did.

13 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Did he actually leak it though? If he addressed his command and they ignore him initially, he’s obligated to go around 

there’s a bunch of he said this,  the other said that... 

I also read the fleet CC was on board and was down the hall, if true I wonder why he wasn’t as alarmed, he was living in the same conditions 

From what I have read he did leak it but I am not sure. If he did he deserves what he gets if not then we will see. either way Trump needs to stay out of it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Is it possible the Captain emailed it to some of his crew not to leave the ship for safety reasons and one of the crew leaked his email?

Ive read that it was a hand written letter over six pages long single spaced. So he had a lot to say. I read he made over 20 copies and mailed them all out. Doesn't really matter how many. Only one should have been sent and that was to his command. If they failed to act then he follows the chain of command period. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Ive read that it was a hand written letter over six pages long single spaced. So he had a lot to say. I read he made over 20 copies and mailed them all out. Doesn't really matter how many. Only one should have been sent and that was to his command. If they failed to act then he follows the chain of command period. 

I've not been keeping up on this. It's beyond comprehension that a Capt would make copies of a hand written letter unless he knew it was on the down low. He should be dealt with in formal tradition.

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

I am not a military man and don't know protocol. But morally, the Captain is tops in my opinion. He tried his best to protect his men which is something I would do if I had soldiers or sailors under my command. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I am not a military man and don't know protocol. But morally, the Captain is tops in my opinion. He tried his best to protect his men which is something I would do if I had soldiers or sailors under my command. 

I think they should let his crew VOTE on whether he deserves the command.

Rufus>>

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

You wouldn’t be in command if that is how you felt. You're in command to make very tough decisions sometimes you may have to lose people under your command for the greater good. If you can’t make that decision you shouldn’t be in command.

In this instance, he was trying to look out for his crew, but, potentially at the peril of the country. 

I agree with looking out for the crew, but advertising that you aren't battle ready is pretty dumb. 

Idc if the president gets involved or not. Nobody from the right bitched when he reversed the decisions of the Navy on taking ranks from that Seal that was court martialed so, I don't see where they should be up at arms on this if he gets involved. I actually think I remember it being the total opposite in that situation as far as wanting the president meddling in how the military handles their punishments. 

Pretty clear that the NavySec was 100%  justified in terminating his command, but probably didn't need to go all ham during the speech to the crew. 

Agreed that Drumpf should just let the NavySec and SECDEF resolve it...he has more pressing matters on his plate at the moment. 

1 hour ago, thc6795 said:

You wouldn’t be in command if that is how you felt. You're in command to make very tough decisions sometimes you may have to lose people under your command for the greater good. If you can’t make that decision you shouldn’t be in command.

This Captain, the commander of a battle ready, United States nuclear powered aircraft carrier, leader of over 5,000 sailors and marines, circumvented the chain of command and sent letters to the SF Chronicle among at least another dozen outlets. This Captain just showed over 5,000 sailors and marines what NOT to do in setting this extremely bad example. The COC is in place for a reason. Being the Captain is not an easy task, and the privilege of wearing that rank entails making extremely tough decisions where people could die. He knew that when he pinned on that full-bird. This situation is no different. He (1) circumvented the COC (2) he essentially told the world that a 5 billion dollar aircraft carrier was not fit for action and perhaps vulnerable, and (3) unnecessarily freaked out untold amounts of parents, wives, and husbands. The Sec. Navy was right. Either this guy is unfit to handle the rigors of this position or he did it on purpose. Based upon what I'm hearing about this guy, I suspect the latter to be true. He may be a nice guy, but he should be gone as the leader of this carrier. He can't be trusted in that position any longer. Anyone with an iota of military background would not even question this move in my opinion. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Well I see the Navy Secretary has joined the ranks of the unemployed now, too. So there is that!

• Haha 2