Jump to content

Greg Kovacs - Heaviest Bodybuilder of all time


Recommended Posts

Before I go any further, I think its important I do a bit to distinguish the difference between bodybuilders, strongmen, and powerlifters. The latter two train primarily for strength, while bodybuilders train to have the best and most proportionate physique possible. 

Anyway, Greg Kovacs was the heaviest bodybuilder who ever lived. I know I guy who once train with him during the bodybuilding off-season, said Greg weighed 440 with a visible six-pack, at a height of around 6'3". His contest weight I believe was 335 pounds on stage. He was a large eater too, eating in excess of 20,000 calories a day in his prime. While he didn't have great proportion, he was very strong for a bodybuilder. Some feats of strength he is known to have done - 

675 x 5 incline bench for warm-up

140 pound dumbbell curls for sets of 10

685 pound barbell rows

500 pound shoulder press for 10 reps

One hand lat pulldown 385 pounds

Him in a picture below with 5'10" 260 pound Jay Cutler - who had 22 inch arms by the way

kovacs.jpg

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Before I go any further, I think its important I do a bit to distinguish the difference between bodybuilders, strongmen, and powerlifters. The latter two train primarily for strength, while bodybuilders train to have the best and most proportionate physique possible. 

Anyway, Greg Kovacs was the heaviest bodybuilder who ever lived. I know I guy who once train with him during the bodybuilding off-season, said Greg weighed 440 with a visible six-pack, at a height of around 6'3". His contest weight I believe was 335 pounds on stage. He was a large eater too, eating in excess of 20,000 calories a day in his prime. While he didn't have great proportion, he was very strong for a bodybuilder. Some feats of strength he is known to have done - 

675 x 5 incline bench for warm-up

140 pound dumbbell curls for sets of 10

685 pound barbell rows

One hand lat pulldown 385 pounds

Him in a picture below with 5'10" 260 pound Jay Cutler - who had 22 inch arms by the way

kovacs.jpg

Come on that’s gotta be photo shopped.  His arms are 2X bigger than cutlers 

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

A story I heard about Greg once...

On a cheat day, ate three big macs, 40 chicken McNuggets, several servings of french fries and 3 liters of coke - for one meal. It held him over for two hours before he ate again.

He could also leg press 2850 pounds for sets of 20

Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many juiced up guys end up like Dallas McCarver at an early age. The amount of synthetics and Test these guys use is more than the body can handle long term for some. Not to mention massive amounts of diuretics and burners like Clen and ephedra. A little Test and HGH isnt bad, but massive amounts will cause serious problems.

Massive and healthy dont go hand in hand.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, rockinl said:

Too many juiced up guys end up like Dallas McCarver at an early age. The amount of synthetics and Test these guys use is more than the body can handle long term for some. Not to mention massive amounts of diuretics and burners like Clen and ephedra. A little Test and HGH isnt bad, but massive amounts will cause serious problems.

Massive and healthy dont go hand in hand.

 

Is it true bodybuilders at a time were using pesticides for pre-workout? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Come on that’s gotta be photo shopped.  His arms are 2X bigger than cutlers 

That's photo shopped.🤣  He actually ate Cutler as part of his 20k Caloric intake.  I bet he goes insane trying to scratch his chin. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Big arms? Just big or shredded big?

Idk. Not fat. I understand fat percentage makes a difference, but, I guess maybe I should have been more specific. I know that circumference and/or shred makes a difference on different body types. Ie. Longer arms may "look" smaller than the same circumference on shorter arms or what have you. 

 

 

Upper arm circumference. Either flexed or not. I guess shredded or not doesn't matter much really. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For instance, Arnold supposedly was at 20-21" arms, but, juicing. Hulk Hogan supposedly at 24" but he was also 6'7". I always thought those were both pretty big dudes, but they were juicing. 

I don't expect the average guy 5'9" through about 6'2" is walking around with 20-24" arms without juicing. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

For instance, Arnold supposedly was at 20-21" arms, but, juicing. Hulk Hogan supposedly at 24" but he was also 6'7". I always thought those were both pretty big dudes, but they were juicing. 

I don't expect the average guy 5'9" through about 6'2" is walking around with 20-24" arms without juicing. 

 

How tall are u?  I'm going for a run I'll reply when I return

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

That dude is clearly taking growth hormones or steroids. 

 

As an aside... What do you guys consider big arms for a natural body builder? 

 

I’m 18” upper arms and 14.25” on the forearms, I am natural but not a bodybuilder, I’m a hybrid powerlifter/grip guy. I could never use anabolic drugs if I wanted to anyway, mother’s side of the family has a history of heart problems. 32 inch waist btw

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

5'11" 

"big" arms for you 17"  "Shredded" 15.5".

 

 Proportionately arms and calves should be around the same size. Unfortunately for me I was just a lunch head that wanted to throw around weight up top. I worked legs just not as hard or often as upper body. A lot had to do with my knees. Quite a bit of marching and running in the Corps. I have 18.5' arms calves are 16.5 on leg day after a good pump. 

 

Hardest part of training is the diet. It really is 90%. You can work your ass off. You can even cheat and take chems. But if you are not eating right it is all for not. Another lesson I learned late in the game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2020 at 3:57 PM, ChimpGrip said:

Before I go any further, I think its important I do a bit to distinguish the difference between bodybuilders, strongmen, and powerlifters. The latter two train primarily for strength, while bodybuilders train to have the best and most proportionate physique possible. 

Anyway, Greg Kovacs was the heaviest bodybuilder who ever lived. I know I guy who once train with him during the bodybuilding off-season, said Greg weighed 440 with a visible six-pack, at a height of around 6'3". His contest weight I believe was 335 pounds on stage. He was a large eater too, eating in excess of 20,000 calories a day in his prime. While he didn't have great proportion, he was very strong for a bodybuilder. Some feats of strength he is known to have done - 

675 x 5 incline bench for warm-up

140 pound dumbbell curls for sets of 10

685 pound barbell rows

500 pound shoulder press for 10 reps

One hand lat pulldown 385 pounds

Him in a picture below with 5'10" 260 pound Jay Cutler - who had 22 inch arms by the way

kovacs.jpg

That does not look natural.  Even with the roids he took it still looks photoshopped.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...