Which language sounds most interesting to you?

ChimpGrip

58 minutes ago, Troll said:

I think you are going to have to hum a few bars...

giphy.gif

just sayin'
😄

PS: go with what you think you might want to use, travel, visit, converse with...etc.

Yeah should be able to use it.

Right now I am heavy into German and Russian. Wanted to pick one that's rare and few people in Texas (if any) know.

2 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Of the ones listed - Finnish, Icelandic, Hungarian, Estonian, Ukrainian, Georgian, or Afrikaans?

Looking for a  new one to venture into and learn. 

I have always been an admirer of the people of Iceland. For that reason, it would be my choice from your list. 

3 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Yeah should be able to use it.

Right now I am heavy into German and Russian. Wanted to pick one that's rare and few people in Texas (if any) know.

BTW: just a mention...

but there are only 2 "international" languages......

English and French....

just sayin'

Was surprised at one time,  how many places French is spoken...

(from Egypt to Polynesia, Carribean to Canada etc.)

giphy.gif

Not  just the Olympics  LOL.

Will get back to everyone's post on here asap....

An update - I decided to go with Finnish. More exotic and rare than Russian and German (who here has ever found a Finnish speaker here in the U.S.?) but there are still plenty of learning resources for it out there. It was TBD between Finnish, Welsh, and Afrikaans. I could find very little material for Icelandic besides a handful of videos on YouTube and books. Even though I went with Finnish, I still plan on learning all the languages I mentioned and more. Of those, Finnish comes first. Once my German is advanced enough I will either take on Bavarian or dive into Georgian. 

On 5/21/2020 at 10:43 AM, I AM IRONMAN said:

Icelandic...if not then Italian..even though its not on the list 👍

I like Italian even though I took french in college. Italian was easier and I've forgotten all but a little French. With French you can read Italian and Spanish well enough to get the point. I was lost in Germany even though my grandparents spoke German to me when I was very young. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

I have. Worked with one when I lived in tri-state. 

Hmm this is very interesting. I wanted my third language to be very exotic while having plenty of available resources to learn it. Further, Finnish is in a separate family from the Germanic and Slavic languages (its a Uralic - Finno Urgic language if I’m not mistaken). 

13 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Hmm this is very interesting. I wanted my third language to be very exotic while having plenty of available resources to learn it. Further, Finnish is in a separate family from the Germanic and Slavic languages (its a Uralic - Finno Urgic language if I’m not mistaken). 

It helped that at the time, I worked for an international organizations that had offices in Finland. He spent a year with us in our NYC office. Interesting guy ...