There is a cult of ignorance in the United States

noonereal

The problem with the Trumpets. 

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Trump is right on the central question of the day:  we have to open the country sooner rather than later.  The lockdowns are not sustainable.  We will do what we have to do to mitigate, but the country is staying open.  Those dragged kicking and screaming to the party will pay a political price.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, noonereal said:

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

Just as good is clearly a matter of opinion, but, just as powerful as a voting block it is for sure. 

That's democracy for ya. Every person's vote counts as much as the next one's regardless of intelligence level, ignorance or knowledge. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Just as good is clearly a matter of opinion, but, just as powerful as a voting block it is for sure. 

That's democracy for ya. Every person's vote counts as much as the next one's regardless of intelligence level, ignorance or knowledge. 

Yes but you see how that right there is Nooner's problem.....

You know...

As in YOU not bowing down to nooner's self claimed "intellectual superiority"......

giphy.gif

🤣

If you are not 'intellectual' enough to think like HE does.....well....

You don't even deserve to be able to vote  🤣

Could you find any better way to expose yourself as the greatest "intellectual idiot" ???

😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Plagiarist?  Hmmm .... how intellectual 

Wonder where the "intellectual" went ?

He appears to be missing from his own thread 🤷‍♂️

giphy.gif

Somehow I was figuring he was gonna try and school us all...you know...

on how right he is..... about his position in this thread 🤣

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

It's true, but it's not a problem endemic to Trump supporters alone. 

The idea that claims about objective truth and value are really about power and politics is all the rage in humanities and social science departments, which lean left. The goal isn't knowledge, because there is no such thing. The goal is to win the election and to change the culture, so that those who don't have power can get it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

I don't think it's plagiarism if he surrounds the passage with quotation marks. That's what the marks are for. 

Well taken.....but  also noted was the "?"

2 hours ago, Bormio said:

Plagiarist?  Hmmm .... how intellectual 

fudged for effect...(with as much leniency as not reffing the quote) maybe...

but somehow I still found it funny 🤷‍♂️  (kind of like that he even needed a reference to make his point...being so 'intellectual' and all 😝)

EDIT to add: Looks like he can't even stand behind  the ONLY "original" piece of HIS work here....Nice new title tho🙄)

3 hours ago, noonereal said:

Sorry nor didn't read your post...but let me guess it's another thread blaming Trump and his Supporters for everything wrong in the world?

• Thanks 1

Apparently a survey was done showing that 23% of MSNBC viewers have cried watching the news on that channel (23%!!) - versus 10% who watch Fox News (which is embarrassing enough).  This has become the most doom and gloom country imaginable.  No wonder the Greatest Generation thinks we have become a bunch of pussies.  I was watching the 3 part series on Grant last night (which was excellent).  After Grant took over the Army of the Potomac and invaded Virginia, he got tired about hearing from his officers  how brilliant Lee was.  Finally he told them he had had enough.  He said "I think you believe Lee will do a double somersault, land in our rear, and envelop both of our flanks.  I am tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do to us.  I suggest you return to your commands and give serious thought about what you are going to do to Lee."  We are afraid of everything - the virus, the Chinese, the climate, Trump - everything is the end of time.  We need a little more Grant and a little less McClellan.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bormio said:

Apparently a survey was done showing that 23% of MSNBC viewers have cried watching the news on that channel (23%!!) - versus 10% who watch Fox News (which is embarrassing enough).  This has become the most doom and gloom country imaginable.  No wonder the Greatest Generation thinks we have become a bunch of pussies.  I was watching the 3 part series on Grant last night (which was excellent).  After Grant took over the Army of the Potomac and invaded Virginia, he got tired about hearing from his officers  how brilliant Lee was.  Finally he told them he had had enough.  He said "I think you believe Lee will do a double somersault, land in our rear, and envelop both of our flanks.  I am tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do to us.  I suggest you return to your commands and give serious thought about what you are going to do to Lee."  We are afraid of everything - the virus, the Chinese, the climate, Trump - everything is the end of time.  We need a little more Grant and a little less McClellan.

Well, we finally have a point of agreement.  I also found the Grant miniseries excellent.  After that, we diverge...  

The question was never should we re-open or stay closed.  The question was always are we going to re-open with a plan or are we just going to re-open?

The idea behind the stay-at-home and social distancing guidelines was always to "flatten the curve" of viral spread in order to ensure that the health care system wasn't overwhelmed and buy time to get medical equipment, testing and tracing in place. That would keep the virus contained as much as possible and allow the economy to safely reopen. Unfortunately, we have a leader who, unlike Grant, can’t manage a supply line.  So none of that happened. And now we have a significant percentage of the population who find it too great a personal sacrifice to wear a mask in order to help slow the spread of the virus.

>100,000  American deaths.  >40,000,000 Americans unemployed.  The current impeached President has no real plans to address either other than flailing around, blaming others, sowing chaos and division.  Much more like Andrew Johnson than Ulysses S. Grant.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

The question was never should we re-open or stay closed.

The idea behind the stay-at-home and social distancing guidelines was always to "flatten the curve" of viral spread in order to ensure that the health care system wasn't overwhelmed and buy time to get medical equipment, testing and tracing in place. 

So none of that happened. <<<ORLY ?

Quick question...

Just exactly where.... are all those hospitals..... (you know like currently).....

that are 'overwhelmed', by that unflattened curve?

Just step to the front of the class and point it out on the map please 👌

32 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

>100,000  American deaths.  >40,000,000 Americans unemployed.  The current impeached President has... blah blah.

Those unemployment numbers apply to the shutdown.....(and the deaths will be greater than even your number)

care to explain how you think that helps any case for continuing the cause?

On 5/28/2020 at 3:40 PM, Bormio said:

Trump is right on the central question of the day:  we have to open the country sooner rather than later.  The lockdowns are not sustainable.  We will do what we have to do to mitigate, but the country is staying open.  Those dragged kicking and screaming to the party will pay a political price.

The one likely to pay that price is Trump, as the average American showed they clearly have little in the way of restraint if you refer to gatherings over Memorial Day Weekend.

The virus is not going to slow all that much and will likely spike in certain areas of the country, and by the time election day is here we could be looking at 150,000 dead Americans (while countries such as Vietnam have 0 deaths in a population of 97 million, while sharing a border with China).

With that said, I do agree that the economy needs to open, and then stay open - I just wish this had been handled better throughout the process.

Most models showed that had strict distancing been kept up throughout the month of June (and lifted at the end of June) that the daily death rate would have fallen to near 0 by late August or September, and stayed there (unless a second wave where to happen in the winter).

Instead, Trump tweeted to LIBERATE 3 states while Betsy Devos' family funded a bunch of protests where insecure white guys showed up with their sporting rifles to protest they needed haircuts and their Thirsty Thursday's back at their local shithole bar, under the guise they were living under tyranny.

Had the President instead chosen to act like an adult and encourage just 30 more days of lock down and distance he very well could have taken this virus down to being nearly non existent in this country, not long enough to last forever - but possibly long enough to develop therapeutics and a vaccine.

Instead, Friday saw 24,266 new positive cases and another 1,193 deaths. The country has been partially re open for 2-3 weeks in many places and had we simply been patient for 1 more month this could have been close to over.

Your God-King is having a tough time in the polls, far worse than he was doing 4 years ago - whether every negative result should be on him is up for debate, though he's likely the one to take the hit regardless.

• Like 2