Revisiting the national rankings 2004

954gator

3 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Well then I guess they deserved to be top 3 in the country. I may not be a great judge for identifying national talent though.

They beat Bingham without their best player.

Point is 2014 BTW was shown the backseat for some odd reason.  Made no sense.

1 minute ago, 954gator said:

Yeah best WR for Fl since Harvin IMO.  Just not a great decision maker unfortunately.

Yeah, I've heard of some of his mistakes. I remember him for a play against Tennessee, where another wide receiver threw a great block and Callaway sprinted down the sideline for a touchdown to give Florida the lead. 

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Yeah best WR for Fl since Harvin IMO.  Just not a great decision maker unfortunately.

In all fairness it's not like UF has exactly hit home runs at that position since harvin lol

Callaway was decent at UF but I always felt like he would take plays off at times (at least I think he's the one I'm thinking of but I could be thinking of someone with a similar name)

45 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

In all fairness it's not like UF has exactly hit home runs at that position since harvin lol

Callaway was decent at UF but I always felt like he would take plays off at times (at least I think he's the one I'm thinking of but I could be thinking of someone with a similar name)

Man you’re way off on this one.   Callaway was making plays when the Gators had the worst QBs and offenses we’ve ever had lol.   And Florida’s had plenty of good WRs since harvin.

7 hours ago, 954gator said:

Man you’re way off on this one.   Callaway was making plays when the Gators had the worst QBs and offenses we’ve ever had lol.   And Florida’s had plenty of good WRs since harvin.

How many of them were true studs? And I don't mean when they signed I mean when they graduated

7 hours ago, 954gator said:

I also remember several games seeing him drop a ball thrown right in his hands with nobody near him

To me if you do that once you hit that high level you were taking the play off, same with Odell who will make some freak catch but drop something throw to him right to him with nobody within 10 yards of him

Almost like some WRs need it to be a tough catch for them to be interested enough to make an effort

10 hours ago, 954gator said:

BTW played 5 OOS games in 2013 and 2014.  How many of those you think were in Miami?   

@norcross

@BG

@oscar Smith

@Tucker

neutral vs BIngham (who went to OT with BG In vegas that year)

not to mention beating some of Miami Central’s best teams. 

Not sure if you remember, but Booker T went out to Texas and smashed Cedar Hill in 2012. I believe they won state that year as well. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2012/09/16/run-defense-dooms-cedar-hill-in-40-21-loss-to-miami-s-booker-t-washington/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Not sure if you remember, but Booker T went out to Texas and smashed Cedar Hill in 2012. I believe they won state that year as well. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2012/09/16/run-defense-dooms-cedar-hill-in-40-21-loss-to-miami-s-booker-t-washington/

Yeah they did

That was the first of 4 straight for BTW

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 954gator said:

They were underrated big time.   They won it all including beating BG in Vegas then next year both go undefeated and BG ranked 1 and BTW 13th??

It's showing BG being ranked number 2 that year (2014). Maybe...just maybe they finished higher due to more OOS games that year. In their first 6 weeks, they played Brophy Prep (AZ), Servite, Bingham, Cen10, Santa Margarita, and SJB. It is confusing how Booker T finished 5th in the Xcellent25 rankings and 13th in the national rankings after going 14-0.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Yeah there’s a nice clip from that game that’s fairly hidden (not the best quality) 

I’ll look for it.  So yeah they went to Texas in 2012 as well.  Cedar Hill was runner up 5A d2 that year (although had a few other losses)

Damn Treon was so damn composed in HS.  He’s never not looking downfield while somehow zigzagging around the pocket with zero fucks given about any rush.   Never seemed to be really even running full out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

It's showing BG being ranked number 2 that year (2014). Maybe...just maybe they finished higher due to more OOS games that year. In their first 6 weeks, they played Brophy Prep (AZ), Servite, Bingham, Cen10, Santa Margarita, and SJB. It is confusing how Booker T finished 5th in the Xcellent25 rankings and 13th in the national rankings after going 14-0.

Maybe but I'm pretty sure several publications back then had BG #1.    I just can't seem to find those old polls or even remember what polls existed back then.   Which is the poll that had like a national 25 then had a regional top 10 or 15 rankings?

Prepnation is one that had BG #1.   Here are Prepnation's MNC's since 2000 (sorry it's coppy/pasted)

2000 De La Salle HSConcordCA13-0Bob Ladouceur

2001  De La Salle HSConcordCA12-0Bob Ladouceur

2002 De La Salle HSConcordCA13-0Bob Ladouceur

2003 De La Salle HSConcordCA13-0Bob Ladouceur

2004 Carroll HSSouthlakeTX16-0Todd Dodge

2005 Carroll HSSouthlakeTX16-0Todd Dodge

2006 Lakeland HSLakelandFL15-0Bill Castle

2007 St. Xavier HSCincinnatiOH15-0Steve Specht

2008 St. Thomas Aquinas HSFort LauderdaleFL15-0George Smith

2009 Don Bosco PrepRamseyNJ12-0Greg Toal

2010  St. Thomas Aquinas HSFort LauderdaleFL15-0George Smith

2011 Don Bosco PrepRamseyNJ12-0Greg Toal

2012 John Curtis Christian HSRiver RidgeLA14-0J.T. Curtis

2013 Booker T. Washington HSMiamiFL14-0Tim Harris

2014 Bishop Gorman HSLas VegasNV15-0Tony Sanchez

I guess they stopped at 2014?

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Prepnation is one that had BG #1.   Here are Prepnation's MNC's since 2000 (sorry it's coppy/pasted)

2000 De La Salle HSConcordCA13-0Bob Ladouceur

2001  De La Salle HSConcordCA12-0Bob Ladouceur

2002 De La Salle HSConcordCA13-0Bob Ladouceur

2003 De La Salle HSConcordCA13-0Bob Ladouceur

2004 Carroll HSSouthlakeTX16-0Todd Dodge

2005 Carroll HSSouthlakeTX16-0Todd Dodge

2006 Lakeland HSLakelandFL15-0Bill Castle

2007 St. Xavier HSCincinnatiOH15-0Steve Specht

2008 St. Thomas Aquinas HSFort LauderdaleFL15-0George Smith

2009 Don Bosco PrepRamseyNJ12-0Greg Toal

2010  St. Thomas Aquinas HSFort LauderdaleFL15-0George Smith

2011 Don Bosco PrepRamseyNJ12-0Greg Toal

2012 John Curtis Christian HSRiver RidgeLA14-0J.T. Curtis

2013 Booker T. Washington HSMiamiFL14-0Tim Harris

2014 Bishop Gorman HSLas VegasNV15-0Tony Sanchez

I guess they stopped at 2014?

Yeah probably so. Started to rely solely on USAToday and Maxpreps polls. 

9 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

I also remember several games seeing him drop a ball thrown right in his hands with nobody near him

To me if you do that once you hit that high level you were taking the play off, same with Odell who will make some freak catch but drop something throw to him right to him with nobody within 10 yards of him

Almost like some WRs need it to be a tough catch for them to be interested enough to make an effort

Terrell Owens ring a bell ?