Revisiting the national rankings 2004

954gator

On 7/8/2020 at 6:58 PM, ngdawg said:

Here's something interesting, @954gator. Both Lowndes and Camden County are from the same region, Region 1. And there are only 4 teams in that region. Yet somehow both teams end up ranked in the top 25 nationally. 

That Lowndes team should've been #1 or at least top 5.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 954gator said:

He's crazy Callaway's hands were excellent at FL.  He and the defense literally kept us in games.

Maybe excellent compared to what else was at FL, but it's whatever believe whatever you want and be like the rest of the idiots on here who have low standards and think every half decent player is a future HOF and the GOAT like so many people love to misuse to the point that the term has lost a lot of value and ruins the true meaning of it 

• Confused 1

Callaway was a decent receiver at the college level but not him nor any receiver I've seen from UF this past decade deserves to be even mentioned in the same tier as Percy Harvin, if you think otherwise then it's clear your trying too hard to reach for past glory and stretch things to cover up what hasn't been at UF in over a decade 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, 954gator said:

The 4 teams that really pass my eye test in no significant order....

Colerain

Lakeland

Mission Viejo

Independence (This is a bit of a wildcard but I’m sticking with it). 

Haven't checked the site in awhile. Just saw this thread. Brings back good memories. 

On Yappi, (Ohio forums; for those that don't know) they've done polls in the past, asking: The best Ohio team of all time?......2004 Colerain usually wins by a runaway margin. 1976 Moeller usually finishes a distant 2nd.

They were a great team with the best HS Defense Ive seen. The starting defense was only responsible for giving up 6 pts in the regular season, and 12 pts in the playoffs.

I don't remember exactly the number, but I think the last time I gathered the info, the 2004 Colerain team had 23 players play or offered scholarships on D1 college teams. Beyond that, none of them had NFL careers, but 5 of them were signed and cut or signed with NFL practice squads.

The coaching pedigree from that Colerain team is very stellar too. 2 NFL coaches, college coaches and multiple successful HS head coaches.

All that said, I wish they could've played top level competition to cement their status. A big part of that was due to the other top teams losing heartbreakers in the playoffs.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Haven't checked the site in awhile. Just saw this thread. Brings back good memories. 

On Yappi, (Ohio forums; for those that don't know) they've done polls in the past, asking: The best Ohio team of all time?......2004 Colerain usually wins by a runaway margin. 1976 Moeller usually finishes a distant 2nd.

They were a great team with the best HS Defense Ive seen. The starting defense was only responsible for giving up 6 pts in the regular season, and 12 pts in the playoffs.

I don't remember exactly the number, but I think the last time I gathered the info, the 2004 Colerain team had 23 players play or offered scholarships on D1 college teams. Beyond that, none of them had NFL careers, but 5 of them were signed and cut or signed with NFL practice squads.

The coaching pedigree from that Colerain team is very stellar too. 2 NFL coaches, college coaches and multiple successful HS head coaches.

All that said, I wish they could've played top level competition to cement their status. A big part of that was due to the other top teams losing heartbreakers in the playoffs.

And the last decade team all time was your Eagles from St. Edward😀

that’s Ohio👍

Coletrain, what’s up? Be safe 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Callaway was a decent receiver at the college level but not him nor any receiver I've seen from UF this past decade deserves to be even mentioned in the same tier as Percy Harvin, if you think otherwise then it's clear your trying too hard to reach for past glory and stretch things to cover up what hasn't been at UF in over a decade 

Best WR since harvin.   Nobody touches Harvin.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

They played the second worst schedule (by opponents win %) of any big state big school state champion that I've been able to find.

18 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Yappi is a quality site...joined to get info when DBP played Centerville...X 

Good posters there...was going to jump back on to get info on Hoban who DBP was slated to play pre virus.👍

9 hours ago, The Guru said:

They played the second worst schedule (by opponents win %) of any big state big school state champion that I've been able to find.

Yea, its really unfortunate that their league wasn't good. Also undefeated X was upset in the regional semis against Moeller (whom X had beat previously.) Moeller was a pretty good team that year, but didnt carry the weight of an undefeated X........We also heard all season that Eds or Glenville would be able to challenge for the title. Glenville beat Eds then lost a shocker to McKinley..... McKinley came out fired up against Colerain, but besides their star RB and LB, they had no chance. Moeller was far better than McKinley.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:49 PM, ngdawg said:

Not exactly. However, I have video from the 2004 semifinals between Cartersville and Washington County if you're interested. Odd enough, there's video from Lowndes playing Southwest DeKalb in 1999.

Great Game Bull Wright starched one of SWD return guys. Best hit all year. Sweetpea Burns on his way to a SB ring with the Colts. Great team that were road warriors with five straight road wins.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Yea, its really unfortunate that their league wasn't good. Also undefeated X was upset in the regional semis against Moeller (whom X had beat previously.) Moeller was a pretty good team that year, but didnt carry the weight of an undefeated X........We also heard all season that Eds or Glenville would be able to challenge for the title. Glenville beat Eds then lost a shocker to McKinley..... McKinley came out fired up against Colerain, but besides their star RB and LB, they had no chance. Moeller was far better than McKinley.

It proves that some of the "all-time great" debates are based on luck. Some teams got dealt bad hands in terms of their playoff opposition.

• Like 3

On 7/8/2020 at 3:24 PM, 954gator said:

So since the we are all in dire need of sports talk I figured I'd go all the way back to the start of the maxpreps era and discuss past rankings year by year.   For the first throwback discussion we go back to 2004.   I will post some rankings that I can find, but it's a bit harder to find some of the older rankings so if any of you guys can post links to any other publications that be awesome.    Any film, highlights, articles on games, discussion of talented players etc is all good!   

USA Today  

1. Southlake (Texas) Carroll (16-0)
2. Independence, Charlotte (15-0)
3. Mission Viejo, Calif. (14-0)
4. Hoover, Ala. (15-0)
5. Colerain, Cincinnati (15-0)
6. Central Catholic, Pittsburgh (16-0)
7. South Panola, Batesville, Miss. (15-0)
8. Bellevue, Wash. (13-0)
9. John Curtis, River Ridge, La. (14-0)
10. Poly, Long Beach, Calif. (13-1)
11. Lowndes, Valdosta, Ga. (15-0)
12. Christian Brothers Academy, Syracuse, N.Y. (13-0)
13. Muskegon, Mich. (14-0)
14. Joliet (Ill.) Catholic (14-0)
15. Riverdale, Murfreesboro, Tenn. (15-0)
16. Notre Dame, Sherman Oaks, Calif. (14-0)
17. Killian, Miami (13-1)
18. Lakeland, Fla. (15-0)
19. Union, Tulsa (13-1)
20. DeMatha, Hyattsville, Md. (10-1)
21. Jenks, Okla. (12-1)
22. St. Joseph Regional, Montvale, N.J. (11-1)
23. St. Xavier, Louisville (14-1)
24. Camden County, Kingsland, Ga. (13-1)
25. Mullen, Denver (13-1)

Maxpreps (ccomputer)

1 Colerain (Cincinnati) OH 15-0 70.2 35.7 --
2 Mission Viejo CA 14-0 68.1 31.9 --
3 Lowell MI 14-0 62.6 31.7 --
4 Central Catholic (Pittsburgh) PA 16-0 61.1 28.9 --
5 Carroll (Southlake) TX 16-0 61.0 34.6 --
6 Warren Central (Indianapolis) IN 14-1 60.0 38.6 --
7 La Cueva (Albuquerque) NM 13-0 58.3 20.7 --
8 Simpson Academy (Mendenhall) MS 14-0 58.2 23.0 --
9 Christian Brothers Academy (Syracuse) NY 13-0 58.2 24.4 --
10 Long Beach Poly (Long Beach) CA 13-1 56.6 29.4 --
11 Harlan IA 13-0 56.4 23.3 --
12 Hoover AL 15-0 56.3 30.9 --
13 Muskegon MI 14-0 56.1 24.5 --
14 Bellevue WA 13-0 55.8 26.6 --
15 Wisconsin Lutheran (Milwaukee) WI 14-0 55.6 23.4 --
16 Chenango Forks (Binghamton) NY 13-0 55.4 26.4 --
17 Jackson Academy (Jackson) MS 11-1 55.0 32.7 --
18 New Rochelle NY 11-1 55.0 27.6 --
19 Norfolk Catholic (Norfolk) NE 12-1 54.1 26.2 --
20 Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati) OH 9-3 53.9 42.2 --
21 Riverdale (Murfreesboro) TN 15-0 53.8 22.6 --
22 Lakeland FL 15-0 53.7 25.1 --
23 Providence Catholic (New Lenox) IL 13-1 53.5 21.4 --
24 Brookhaven (Columbus) OH 15-0 53.3 20.1 --
25 Highlands (Fort Thomas) KY 14-1 53.2 28.3

Anyone have HSFB america or Massey rankings?   Can't seem to find any of the older rankings (can''t really remember them all too well lol)  

Does anybody know where I can buy a reasonably priced time machine? 

No covid 19 back in 2004!

And nobody talking about Folsom. 

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2020 at 5:48 PM, 954gator said:

Prepnation is one that had BG #1.   Here are Prepnation's MNC's since 2000 (sorry it's coppy/pasted)

2000 De La Salle HSConcordCA13-0Bob Ladouceur

2001  De La Salle HSConcordCA12-0Bob Ladouceur

2002 De La Salle HSConcordCA13-0Bob Ladouceur

2003 De La Salle HSConcordCA13-0Bob Ladouceur

2004 Carroll HSSouthlakeTX16-0Todd Dodge

2005 Carroll HSSouthlakeTX16-0Todd Dodge

2006 Lakeland HSLakelandFL15-0Bill Castle

2007 St. Xavier HSCincinnatiOH15-0Steve Specht

2008 St. Thomas Aquinas HSFort LauderdaleFL15-0George Smith

2009 Don Bosco PrepRamseyNJ12-0Greg Toal

2010  St. Thomas Aquinas HSFort LauderdaleFL15-0George Smith

2011 Don Bosco PrepRamseyNJ12-0Greg Toal

2012 John Curtis Christian HSRiver RidgeLA14-0J.T. Curtis

2013 Booker T. Washington HSMiamiFL14-0Tim Harris

2014 Bishop Gorman HSLas VegasNV15-0Tony Sanchez

I guess they stopped at 2014?

Katy was #1 at Prepnation in 2015 and Colquitt #2. They are still doing their rankings as far as I know. 

• Thanks 1