OT: What are your hobbies outside of sports?

Cat_Scratch

I am an avid outdoorsman. Hiking, kayaking, mountaneering, Survival.

Traveling and learning new cultures.

I'm a big music fan/musician. 

I am a bit of a movie buff. 

Oddly, another passion of mine is roller coasters (which partially ties in to travel). I am pretty much an encyclopedia when it comes to roller coasters and theme parks. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 954gator said:

Seriously for the outdoors people this "kayak" looks like fun. I'm not too into sailing either, but I was so close to getting one.  Saw a video of a guy that traveled like 600 miles in one of these.  

Yeah, that's a pretty cool rig. 

I learned how to sail on a regular Hobie Catamaran.

As a poor kid back in the day, got lucky and had a pretty cool business as a neighbor when I lived on St. Andrews Bay in Panama City. He had an upstart kayak/wave runner/ sail and umbrella repair business right at the foot of the Hathaway Bridge.  Well he always saw myself and my brother milling around the water and guess he figured, idle hands and all you know, so he worked a deal with me and my brother that if we helped him remodel his sail boat, that he would give us lessons on sailing and salt water kayaking. Started with wind surfing and eventually got pretty good at sailing a Hobie Cat. Can eskimo roll a kayak in rough water thanks to him. 

It's pretty cool kayaking in the bay with porpoises running with you. Still enjoy kayaking, but haven't sailed in years. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

My friend and I are looking to cash in here in Cali on this. In not a user since it makes me hella paranoid but by best friend knows his mota. My end would be more on the business and financing end. Not sure what part of the market yet but watched a few documentaries on the different industry types in Colorado from accounting software to banking since they can't deposit it into a regular bank. Open to all suggestions. Max?

If u Need someone to run ur dispensary in your guy .. ill be the bud tender 

6 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yeah, that's a pretty cool rig. 

I learned how to sail on a regular Hobie Catamaran.

As a poor kid back in the day, got lucky and had a pretty cool business as a neighbor when I lived on St. Andrews Bay in Panama City. He had an upstart kayak/wave runner/ sail and umbrella repair business right at the foot of the Hathaway Bridge.  Well he always saw myself and my brother milling around the water and guess he figured, idle hands and all you know, so he worked a deal with me and my brother that if we helped him remodel his sail boat, that he would give us lessons on sailing and salt water kayaking. Started with wind surfing and eventually got pretty good at sailing a Hobie Cat. Can eskimo roll a kayak in rough water thanks to him. 

It's pretty cool kayaking in the bay with porpoises running with you. Still enjoy kayaking, but haven't sailed in years. 

Yeah best thing about it is it folds back into a regular sized kayak.  

15 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Lol! Younger brother bought 30 acres a few years ago in Mendocino County. He's an indoor and outdoor farmer, but since Prop 64 his property alone has been a great investment. Land in the Emerald Triangle has gone through the roof. And same for industrial properties in California.

I heard the Mendocino sheriff allowed his residents to grow weed even before it was legal if they paid a yearly fee,   He knows people were gonna grow it no matter what so might as well charge people too 

1 hour ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

I heard the Mendocino sheriff allowed his residents to grow weed even before it was legal if they paid a yearly fee,   He knows people were gonna grow it no matter what so might as well charge people too 

I've never heard of them charging a fee and I doubt anyone up there ever bothered to pay one. Not much enforcement in it. And it was pretty much accepted before Prop. 64.

Cali guys honest question what do you guys do when a big EQ hits-4.8 or higher.... 

Once every now and then  I rewatch the Loma prieta EQ footage.... 

Do you guys have any EQ resistant metals or something.... 

I know whe try to building Hurricane/Tornado resistant things but its literally impossible.... 

Have you ever felt Tornado winds? 

Theyre different...  

Example 

An EF0 in CA is not as strong as an EF0 in GA.... 

Example EF0 winds in the L.A Basin has shown to reach 80 MPH max.... 

GA- Adel,GA near Colquitt County. Located in Cook County. 

EF0 winds 110 MPH.... 

You cant build wind resistant structures.... 

The wind is a wild card.... 

The deadliest Hurricane ever recorded off wind alone happened before storm recording came into being in the US. 

Back in the late 1700s off the coast of what is now Miami FL. 

A massive hurricane that had winds well above 290 MPH  Devestated Haiti,Peurto Rico,Florida and some parts of  Georgia.... 

To give you an estimate  Valdosta to Miami is almost 7 Hours.... 

Over 400 miles.... 

(Im going by modern day standards) 

That means winds of an estimated 370 MPH reached lands nearly 500 Miles away from its location... 

Again it happened before recordings.... 

But there are written recordings from missionaries and priest during the time. 

"A great storm of immeasurable strength came through we hid in our then sturdy structures and slept. By morning when we awoke the building around us was gone. The cattle where dead and looked like they had been skint alive. There was a person with no skin on his body. The ships had been decimated the wood no where to be found..." 

52 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Cali guys honest question what do you guys do when a big EQ hits-4.8 or higher.... 

I know whe try to building Hurricane/Tornado resistant things but its literally impossible.... 

Theyre different...  

Example 

EF0 winds 110 MPH.... 

Cali went and still is going thru major earthquake retrofitting on buildings and bridges. Pretty darn safe. I don't get out of bed for anything less than a 6.0.

25 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Theyre different...  

Example 

EF0 winds 110 MPH.... 

Depends on when the house was built. Anything built after about 1990 is going to have earthquake resistive features built in. My old house was built in 2002 and only remember one decent quake, 4.6 with the epicenter 5 miles which I didn't even feelMy house now is older and built with much better craftsmanship than my previous "newer" house and I'm also on bedrock. Napa did actually wake me up but no damage to my house 35 miles away (my pool did lose some water as it was sloshing back and forth). 6.0 or less and I really don't think about it.