We lost the greatest rock guitarist tbis world had ever heard

I AM IRONMAN

Ugh. I knew that he was battling throat cancer, but I didn't know he was THAT sick.  Very sad. The best rock guitarist ever. No question. Revolutionized the way the ax was played. Did any one musician influence a genre of music any more than Eddie? I personally don't think so. Nobody was doing this in 1977(8). And we still hear this today in so many other great guitarist's playing and music.

RIP Eddie

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Ugh. I knew that he was battling throat cancer, but I didn't know he was THAT sick.  Very sad. The best rock guitarist ever. No question. Revolutionized the way the ax was played. Did any one musician influence a genre of music any more than Eddie? I personally don't think so. Nobody was doing this in 1977(8). And we still hear this today in so many other great guitarist's playing and music.

RIP Eddie

Listen to On Fire...I'm the One...House of Pain...Romeo Delight

• Like 1

If you have any doubt, simply listen to any of their first six albums. These works are in the cannon of great music and innovation for all time. If you are between 40-60, this is the music of our youth. 

I think VH was a little under rated as a band because they were only together in their fantastic original lineup for 7 or 8 years. When DLR left the band it was just a different sound. It didn't make EVH any less great, it was just a different. Roth and Van Halen fed off of their styles and I never picked that up with Eddie and Sammy Hagar. I was pumped to see EVH and DLR reunite and play that tour in 2007-2008. Great stuff and it was a great concert.

My three favorite guitarists ever are without a doubt (no order), Eddie, Jimmie Hendrix, and Jimmy Page. All were the driving force behind great, great innovative music. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 7:28 PM, Mag44 said:

I think Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton,Jimmy Page  Stevie Ray Vaughn and BB King were better...A guy who started it all was Les Paul.....

I disagree on the "better" part. Not sure there was ever a more technically skilled player than EVH. Everyone you mentioned is without a doubt great. All are straight from the blues. Of course all rock is from the blues, but Van Halen's sound was very different than the guys you mentioned above. Early Zeppelin is all blues oriented, even though its super heavy rock (and my favorite music of all time). But Van Halen's sound was new, exciting and very different.

My three guys are EVH, Hendrix, and Jimmy Page. No order. The best three in my opinion. Never been a huge fan of Clapton's music (his skill as a guitar player is beyond great, but outside of his stuff with Cream, I'm not a fan of too may of his songs). 

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

I disagree on the "better" part. Not sure there was ever a more technically skilled player than EVH. Everyone you mentioned is without a doubt great. All are straight from the blues. Of course all rock is from the blues, but Van Halen's sound was very different than the guys you mentioned above. Early Zeppelin is all blues oriented, even though its super heavy rock (and my favorite music of all time). But Van Halen's sound was new, exciting and very different.

My three guys are EVH, Hendrix, and Jimmy Page. No order. The best three in my opinion. Never been a huge fan of Clapton's music (his skill as a guitar player is beyond great, but outside of his stuff with Cream, I'm not a fan of too may of his songs). 

Well said posts...I saw Clapton at the Nassau Colisium.....He took an audience that ranged from 12-80.... from delight to frenzy...I went crazy....

• Like 1