Does MD 2017 squad still hold up as being a OIAG team?

Sammyswordsman

8 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

You are being way to harsh on MD Schedule.

Another team that is talked very highly about is 2008 STA who had an OOS win over Elder, albeit they trailed 0-10 early, and their only sig win was Lakeland (which = SJB for MD).   Other than that MD had a much tougher schedule.

The 2017 MD team ran a schedule consisting of 5 teams that lost only 1 other game or less other than to MD.  Including 2 other states champions.

Agree that their schedule was good . It wasn't their fault that BG was on the decline . Chandler was a nice win along with BC.  My point was no one they played was Tier 1 .  To be  called greatest of all time, imop , they had to beat Great team to actually prove that . They did that in 2018 and 2019

12 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

What in the world what a dog shit take 😂 He’s a little over 100 yards away from passing Troy aikman on UCLA’s all time passing list. He’ll get drafted in the early rounds this next year. These guys had him potentially in the top 10 QB’s of LAST YEARS draft class. If he gets the accuracy down and makes better decisions with the ball he’ll go early. 
https://www.bluechipscouting.com/articles/2020/7/13/planting-the-flag-dorian-thompson-has-tools-to-be-top-10-qb-in-2021-class 

Kid got screwed by the pandemic only getting 6 games. There are 50 quarterbacks in the 2018 class better than him? Absurd. 

He's been the only QB for a team playing up-tempo and against shit defenses. He's probably the least impressive "elite" QB recruit with stats I've ever seen. And, like I said, up to 2017 he had been nothing more than a 7-v-7 and camp darling; no varsity playing experience. 

2 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Agree that their schedule was good . It wasn't their fault that BG was on the decline . Chandler was a nice win along with BC.  My point was no one they played was Tier 1 .  To be  called greatest of all time, imop , they had to beat Great team to actually prove that . They did that in 2018 and 2019

The schedule may have not been perfect.  Not MD fault as they scheduled teams that were pre season highly ranked.

The 15-0 record ran the best assembled slate of State and  National teams ever played in a single season up to that point, and even to now.

2 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

😄

sammy sure likes to make unsupported statements and then cower like a pussy when people push back.

Good observation.

Also as I have posted in the past. In the 2017 Gorman vs MD game it was only a 14-7 score at the half. And later on it was 28-21 MD until 5+ plus minutes in the fourth. Not a very dominant win against a team that had just graduated their best class ever. And that was DTRs second varsity start as a QB. 

16 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

I just wanna hear Sammy's excuse as to why to the "OIAG" team waited until BG graduated the 17 class before playing them. Why was MD so willing and eager to play them then/now instead of when they were running the show from 2014-16? That's all. 

I love it when the east coast guys can see through all the OIAG BS banter. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mag44 said:

Conflicting dates...??  I've see how hard this can beby talking to an AD at Bosco when they were really good.......

This is where I give a lot of credit to Servite because they always made time to play BG. Cen10 and SJB were able to play BG during their reign of terror as well. Who in the hell was MD playing that was THAT good during 2014-16 as to why they couldn't/wouldn't play BG? It's just ironic that MD was chomping at the bit to play BG after their run was over. It is what it is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

East coast guys are just still salty that their saviors IMG and SFA got beat and boatraced

While I'm no IMG fan (neutral feeling towards them), there were some iffy calls on IMG in that game vs MD. I think any objective fan would agree. MD gave SFA the business, so that's that. And as far as the the saviors part, I highly doubt anyone in the southeast region of the US is claiming SFA and IMG like that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FootballGuy said:

While I'm no IMG fan (neutral feeling towards them), there were some iffy calls on IMG in that game vs MD. I think any objective fan would agree. MD gave SFA the business, so that's that. And as far as the the saviors part, I highly doubt anyone in the southeast region of the US is claiming SFA and IMG like that. 

you must have missed the twitter posts and youtube videos.

35 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Good observation.

Also as I have posted in the past. In the 2017 Gorman vs MD game it was only a 14-7 score at the half. And later on it was 28-21 MD until 5+ plus minutes in the fourth. Not a very dominant win against a team that had just graduated their best class ever. And that was DTRs second varsity start as a QB. 

The overrating of the 2017 schedule is just to compensate for the fact that this was supposed to be the OIAG team and it crapped out in the Section Final.

2016.jpg.4438470e0019218af9f43e5f790fa19f.jpg

21 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

This is where I give a lot of credit to Servite because they always made time to play BG. Cen10 and SJB were able to play BG during their reign of terror as well. Who in the hell was MD playing that was THAT good during 2014-16 as to why they couldn't/wouldn't play BG? It's just ironic that MD was chomping at the bit to play BG after their run was over. It is what it is. 

It's pretty simple and shouldn't be controversial at all.

When Bishop Gorman had the hammer (2014-16) Mater Dei wasn't that interested in playing them. But when they got the hammer (2017-19) they were interested in playing everybody.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I'm not surprised that you don't understand the burden of proof either.

You made the claim.

It's your responsibility to support it.

You haven't even attempted to do so.

I made the claim and did provide the supporting material.  15-0 vs best national and state opponent schedule ever assembled.  You are claiming to push back, but so far its been smoke and mirrors.  No hard data on the push back.

6 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

The overrating of the 2017 schedule is just to compensate for the fact that this was supposed to be the OIAG team and it crapped out in the Section Final.

2016.jpg.4438470e0019218af9f43e5f790fa19f.jpg

I’m not a big fan of calpreps. It obviously gives higher than normal ratings to California teams and especially to Southern California teams. That data in particular needs to be recalibrated by Ned. 

It's pretty simple and shouldn't be controversial at all.

When Bishop Gorman had the hammer (2014-16) Mater Dei wasn't that interested in playing them. But when they got the hammer (2017-19) they were interested in playing everybody.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

So true!

20 hours ago, badrouter said:

If I had to pick a best MD team, I think I'd go with 2019.

I agree. It may be heresy to say this as an MD person but IMO the 2019 team was better, despite not winning the championship. The difference was Bryce Young. Sure JT Daniels was great, but BY was the best high school player I have personally seen play. I say ‘high school’ because other QBs may go on to have better success in college or the NFL. 

• Like 3