Does MD 2017 squad still hold up as being a OIAG team?

Sammyswordsman

People scoffed in August of 2017 when we sounded the alarm that The Stache had assembled a Once In a Generation team

There was no doubt that the offense would be entertaining with JT Danials at QB, an electric 4 wide receiver set led by Amon Ra St. Brown, and 5 three year starters on the O-line featuring gigantic Tommy Brown.

The Defense had some holes to fill especially at LB but with the Transfers Mase Funa and Solo Tuliaupupu suddenly seasoned vets could see the fog clearing in the crystal ball and knew that the Monarchs had something special.

The team proceeded to hand Bishop Gorman their first defeat in over 40 games, and then demolish the NJ state champions in devastating fashion enroute to a perfect season in which they never trailed.

The following year the Monarchs were a few steps down from 2017 and were rebuilding, and faced one of IMG's best teams also riding an impressive win streak.  The result was another MD win.  Had IMG won, their fans would have proclaimed them as a OIAG team and the win would have been proof that MD 2017 was not all that.

IN 2019 SFA was terrorizing the Eastern seabord with their own OIAG team, and faced a MD team that was trending up but had question marks.  East coast homies were cackling and tuning in to see The Stache get punched in the mouth.  The result was SFA almost getting a running clock put on them, and the Monarchs going on to finish as CIFSS runner ups to SJB.

Admittedly, even I thought The Stache was in serious trouble when SFA came out for warm ups.

As the years go by, the accomplishments of the 2017 MD team not only hold up, but become even more impressive in hindsight.  

This was truly a Once in a Generation Team of which we may never again see the likes of.

NO I didn't lose a bet to Hurricane Nick. In fact he still hasn't paid off his avatar bet to me.  But I am fair and balanced enough to recognize good performances.

18 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

People scoffed in August of 2017 when we sounded the alarm that The Stache had assembled a Once In a Generation team

There was no doubt that the offense would be entertaining with JT Danials at QB, an electric 4 wide receiver set led by Amon Ra St. Brown, and 5 three year starters on the O-line featuring gigantic Tommy Brown.

The Defense had some holes to fill especially at LB but with the Transfers Mase Funa and Solo Tuliaupupu suddenly seasoned vets could see the fog clearing in the crystal ball and knew that the Monarchs had something special.

The team proceeded to hand Bishop Gorman their first defeat in over 40 games, and then demolish the NJ state champions in devastating fashion enroute to a perfect season in which they never trailed.

The following year the Monarchs were a few steps down from 2017 and were rebuilding, and faced one of IMG's best teams also riding an impressive win streak.  The result was another MD win.  Had IMG won, their fans would have proclaimed them as a OIAG team and the win would have been proof that MD 2017 was not all that.

IN 2019 SFA was terrorizing the Eastern seabord with their own OIAG team, and faced a MD team that was trending up but had question marks.  East coast homies were cackling and tuning in to see The Stache get punched in the mouth.  The result was SFA almost getting a running clock put on them, and the Monarchs going on to finish as CIFSS runner ups to SJB.

Admittedly, even I thought The Stache was in serious trouble when SFA came out for warm ups.

As the years go by, the accomplishments of the 2017 MD team not only hold up, but become even more impressive in hindsight.  

This was truly a Once in a Generation Team of which we may never again see the likes of.

NO I didn't lose a bet to Hurricane Nick. In fact he still hasn't paid off his avatar bet to me.  But I am fair and balanced enough to recognize good performances.

IMG best two teams were 2016 and 2017, 2018 one was lucky to only lose one game that year as there were several teams who would have beaten them 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Is this going to be your Campaign Lie? 

My bad I mean Slogan?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Going 15-0 against a national schedule is nothing to scoff at.

But the truth is that their 2017 schedule was overrated. Both of those teams either lost the week before or the week after they played Mater Dei.

Bishop Gorman was obviously diminished from their 2014-16 run and Bergen Catholic lost to Archbishop Wood who got smoked twice.

Their other big wins were against St. John Bosco who went to OT (and only scored 3 points) against the worst STA team since 2003 and De La Salle who got smoked by that down Bishop Gorman team.

The rest of their games were against a bunch of calpreps-inflated California teams like Santa Margarita, St. Mary's, JSerra, etc.

(And I'm the designated defense guy who's here to remind you that this Once in a Generation Team wasn't great defensively).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

Going 15-0 against a national schedule is nothing to scoff at.

But the truth is that their 2017 schedule was overrated. Both of those teams either lost the week before or the week after they played Mater Dei.

Bishop Gorman was obviously diminished from their 2014-16 run and Bergen Catholic lost to Archbishop Wood who got smoked twice.

Their other big wins were against St. John Bosco who went to OT (and only scored 3 points) against the worst STA team since 2003 and De La Salle who got smoked by that down Bishop Gorman team.

The rest of their games were against a bunch of calpreps-inflated California teams like Santa Margarita, St. Mary's, JSerra, etc.

(And I'm the designated defense guy who's here to remind you that this Once in a Generation Team wasn't great defensively).

I thought the 2011 STA was the worst since 2003. You know the one who clobbered the California State Champion and also beat the Alabama State Champ only to limp to 3 in state losses including a 6-3 defeat vs Dwyer in the watered down playoffs?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

As my post demonstrates, this is not true and, in fact, most great high school teams don't stand the test of time very well.

But that's normal.

Not only did The Stache opponents have a 128-57 record (128-42 if you took out the loss to The Stache) but The Stache went on to beat the #2 Team IMG (Still on a massive win streak) the following year and then the #3 Team SFA (again on a massive win streak in 2019.

I don't think this has ever been done before.  Those wins the following 2 years add value to the 2017 team accomplishments.  This is a legit barometer of standing the test of time.   Had MD lost those games there would have been an argument that both IMG and SFA were the better teams in 2017 and that the MD 2017 team was not a #OIAG team.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Not only did The Stache opponents have a 128-57 record (128-42 if you took out the loss to The Stache) but The Stache went on to beat the #2 Team IMG (Still on a massive win streak) the following year and then the #3 Team SFA (again on a massive win streak in 2019.

Yes, playing a nationally dispersed schedule usually leads to better opponents' winning percentages.

But that has nothing to do with what I said.

Nor does a 2018 game against IMG have anything to do with the 2017 team.

11 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I don't think this has ever been done before.  Those wins the following 2 years add value to the 2017 team accomplishments.  This is a legit barometer of standing the test of time.   Had MD lost those games there would have been an argument that both IMG and SFA were the better teams in 2017 and that the MD 2017 team was not a #OIAG team.

I'm sure some team before MD has said the same thing a played a stout schedule as well... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Those wins the following 2 years add value to the 2017 team accomplishments.  This is a legit barometer of standing the test of time.

Sammy is inadvertently making a point for me.

The reason why the 2017 team is viewed in a greater light is precisely because they didn't play IMG or St. Frances. In other words, they were more "dominant" in 2017 because the schedule was weaker.

That's why he's trying to fish for accomplishments in 2018 and 2019 to attribute to the 2017 team.

In 2018, they played a better St. John Bosco team, a better De La Salle team and IMG was better than Bishop Gorman and Bergen Catholic.

Ditto 2019.

Why is this thread about the 2017 team and not the others? Because they didn't go undefeated in 2018 or 2019.

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Sammy.....Final score 2017 MD vs 2008 or 2011 DBP...??

7 minutes ago, Mag44 said:

2009. DBP!, not 2008.

Good question.  MD would win but lets take some time to analyze the matchups.

The problem for DBP would be defending 4 explosive WR and a QB that had put dimes on all of them on any play.  The 3 year starters on the O-line would provide enough time for the torching of the secondary.

I don't think DBP had the offense to keep up.  35-21 Stache

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Good question.  MD would win but lets take some time to analyze the matchups.

The problem for DBP would be defending 4 explosive WR and a QB that had put dimes on all of them on any play.  The 3 year starters on the O-line would provide enough time for the torching of the secondary.

I don't think DBP had the offense to keep up.  35-21 Stache

That BC team was not close to 09 or 11 Bosco team which I saw play several times, but I never saw 17 MD play....I respect you opinion, but would like to have that 09 and 11 play MD...11 DBP had good DBs, but that MD QB, according to a coach I know was awesome..

Just now, Mag44 said:

That BC team was not close to 09 or 11 Bosco team which I saw play several times, but I never saw 17 MD play....I respect you opinion, but would like to have that 09 and 11 play MD...11 DBP had good DBs, but that MD QB, according to a coach I know was awesome..

No Doubt DBP in 2009 and 2011 had some of the best defense in HS football ever. 

I dont think MD could run the ball at all against DBP.  But I think the area MD could exploit is the DBP secondary. DBP may have had 2 really good corners and a tough as nails SS but I doubt DBP had (4) guys that could keep up with the MD WR.  This is the area that MD would exploit relentlessly.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

While 2017 MD is one of the best teams ever, I still wanna know why they were nowhere to be found during Bishop Gorman's reign of terror. I need answers @Sammyswordsman

Let's remember that 2016 was supposed to be 2017 but Mater Dei lost in the Section Finals.

Against a better St. John Bosco team than 2017.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

No Doubt DBP in 2009 and 2011 had some of the best defense in HS football ever. 

I dont think MD could run the ball at all against DBP.  But I think the area MD could exploit is the DBP secondary. DBP may have had 2 really good corners and a tough as nails SS but I doubt DBP had (4) guys that could keep up with the MD WR.  This is the area that MD would exploit relentlessly.

Sammy, your a good poster...💪💪

11 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH! The optimum term here is ASSEMBLED! Da Stash is a JOKE as a coach! A trained chimp could win with an all star team! Try winning a natty with kids who grew up in a county of 45,000! And their 30-0 QB1, would end up going to the NAVAL ACADEMY, where he was a backup WR! But he was a WINNER, who blasted two National Top Twenty Five teams, back to back on the road, to win the big school state championship! And Al Mon Rah St. Brown?🤣 He wasn't even better than the kid from Tifton, GEORGIA, who never won ANYTHING in high school, because he was playing against BADASSES!

• Thumbs Down 1