Hey Hurricane

HooverOutlaw

When JT Daniels, a 5-star quarterback in the 2018 recruiting cycle, left Mater Dei (Calif.) High School for USC, another 5-star quarterback replaced him -- Bryce Young.

When Daniels, who is now at Georgia, learned Young was transferring from Cathedral (Calif.) High School, he was thrilled. Speaking to reporters in the main ballroom at SEC Media Days at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham-Wynfrey Hotel, Daniels gave his thoughts on Young.

“He’s a stud. He’s a star player,” Daniels said Tuesday. “When I had left Mater Dei and they got Bryce -- I’d known Bryce since I was an eighth grader and I was a seventh grader. But I knew back then that he’s a special player. When Mater Dei got him, I was really excited. I told MaxPreps that he’d be the best quarterback in the country by the time he was a junior in high school just because I’d seen him play and thought he was a really good player.

“I expect a lot of success for Bryce.”

2 starting qb in the SEC from MD.

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:
When JT Daniels, a 5-star quarterback in the 2018 recruiting cycle, left Mater Dei (Calif.) High School for USC, another 5-star quarterback replaced him -- Bryce Young.

When Daniels, who is now at Georgia, learned Young was transferring from Cathedral (Calif.) High School, he was thrilled. Speaking to reporters in the main ballroom at SEC Media Days at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham-Wynfrey Hotel, Daniels gave his thoughts on Young.

“He’s a stud. He’s a star player,” Daniels said Tuesday. “When I had left Mater Dei and they got Bryce -- I’d known Bryce since I was an eighth grader and I was a seventh grader. But I knew back then that he’s a special player. When Mater Dei got him, I was really excited. I told MaxPreps that he’d be the best quarterback in the country by the time he was a junior in high school just because I’d seen him play and thought he was a really good player.

“I expect a lot of success for Bryce.”

2 starting qb in the SEC from MD.

A lot of MD alums are really hoping they meet up in Atlanta to play in the SEC championship game. That would be great for our program. Alabama definitely has the better of the two QB’s. I think both will have a great year but Bryce should absolutely kill it under Bill O’Brien. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

A lot of MD alums are really hoping they meet up in Atlanta to play in the SEC championship game. That would be great for our program. Alabama definitely has the better of the two QB’s. I think both will have a great year but Bryce should absolutely kill it under Bill O’Brien. 

Yeah Bryce isn’t definitely the better QB…different types of qb’s…JT will end up with more yards and a better rating and Bryce will end up with more wins.

15 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

Yeah Bryce isn’t definitely the better QB…different types of qb’s…JT will end up with more yards and a better rating and Bryce will end up with more wins.

Don’t know about JT having more yards. Georgia is going to run the ball a ton. But yeah they have different styles. If I’m picking one I’m taking Bryce.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eddyr2 said:

Bryce but once you consider that JT opted out of his SR year, it’s clear JT had a better MD career…4590312E-42EE-478C-B5D6-A498D4929EE6.thumb.jpeg.04331a26bf30204fdd2b6aa5da40af2b.jpeg3D35FD34-CC52-4666-B707-51A892F09E51.thumb.jpeg.ba4b9a89c663dc33603a5c3f7f87530b.jpeg

plus was the QB of the great high school team off all time…

MD17>BG16

That being said Bryce is the most exciting and innovative MD QB I have ever seen

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

100%. Bryce Young was also a USC verbal commit before flipping to Bama. Plus we lost DJ to Clemson. 

JT getting hurt had alot to do with Bryce flipping. He was okay (as we have seen) being QB2 for 1 year but if he were at USC he would still be QB2. 

If USC was on the DJ train and not the BY train from the jump, i dont think DJ goes to Clemson.

3 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

JT getting hurt had alot to do with Bryce flipping. He was okay (as we have seen) being QB2 for 1 year but if he were at USC he would still be QB2. 

If USC was on the DJ train and not the BY train from the jump, i dont think DJ goes to Clemson.

Agreed. I remember in an interview that DJ said USC never recruited him. Crazy! Helton needs to go. They are so soft. Great skill players but a terrible offensive line. USC had the best O-line for several decades under John McKay and John Robinson.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

That being said Bryce is the most exciting and innovative MD QB I have ever seen

My favorite Bryce Young moment...

DF87B753-5534-45D2-A7ED-B5270F57385F.thumb.jpeg.d2e443b01d21b630b1108b8179ac70be.jpeg02CE071E-DE20-4EE2-BE94-E535C729BE27.thumb.jpeg.cd5d36c9a4263f01d7bd8deb42ef61b4.jpeg

Bryce Young had 3 Turnovers (1 INT 2 Fumbles) as a Cathedral Phantom vs Loyola in 2017, and was shutout for 45 minutes. 

Loyola sat back in zone and let Dakota Smith (South Dakota) and Jordan McMillan (USC/Utah) pressure his ass into mistakes all night. 

A little bit different level of production when you don’t have a team full of 4/5 star studs. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 1901VeniceCub said:

DF87B753-5534-45D2-A7ED-B5270F57385F.thumb.jpeg.d2e443b01d21b630b1108b8179ac70be.jpeg02CE071E-DE20-4EE2-BE94-E535C729BE27.thumb.jpeg.cd5d36c9a4263f01d7bd8deb42ef61b4.jpeg

Bryce Young had 3 Turnovers (1 INT 2 Fumbles) as a Cathedral Phantom vs Loyola in 2017, and was shutout for 45 minutes. 

Loyola sat back in zone and let Dakota Smith (South Dakota) and Jordan McMillan (USC/Utah) pressure his ass into mistakes all night. 

A little bit different level of production when you don’t have a team full of 4/5 star studs. 

Another good Bryce young moment is when he beat loyola as a freshman. Went 10/13 & ran for two scores. Glad the Cubs could figure it out the next year!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

Another good Bryce young moment is when he beat loyola as a freshman. Went 10/13 & ran for two scores. Glad the Cubs could figure it out the next year!

This is true. Bryce Young and Cathedral survived that night, 21-19. Tip of the cap goes to Nick Barr-Mira for chunking the Game Winning FG as time expired.  

Nonetheless, that moment helped reignite the passion between the nearly 100-year old Downtown LA Rivals (1st meeting was a 19-0 Loyola victory in 1927). The Loyola Cubs hold the advantage over the Cathedral Phantoms in the all time series 31-13-1. 

Looking forward to The Battle of Los Angeles being back on Loyola’s campus this year.

21 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

And took out IMG and SFA at the top of their game.  (And had he checked in with Money on that last series instead of calling his own plays, he'd have led us to the promised land for the third time in three years.  Damn that still hurts.)

11 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

100%. Bryce Young was also a USC verbal commit before flipping to Bama. Plus we lost DJ to Clemson. 

And Corral to Florida/Ole Miss.  And CJ to Ohio State, Maalik to Texas and Malachi to Oklahoma.  And the list goes on and on and on.....

2 hours ago, 1901VeniceCub said:

You know, anybody could've led MD to national #1 and #2 finishes in '18 and '19 surrounded by those other players.  Just like the GOAT could've chosen anyone to run the offense at Bama this year.....but he chose Bryce!  Who says lightning doesn't strike twice?!  Damn, that Bryce kid is lucky!   Now go pull out those VHS highlight tapes from when Loyola was last relevant (and still losing to MD! 🤣 )

56 minutes ago, MD87 said:

Now go pull out those VHS highlight tapes from when Loyola was last relevant (and still losing to MD! 🤣 )

Ironically, the last time Loyola and Mater Dei met, the Cubs shutout the Monarchs 14-0, earning the right to play in our 12th Championship Game. I believe that is relevant. 

Don’t worry, Loyola is climbing back up the mountain. We will see you on the summit soon. 

C46E51E2-5E73-41EF-802B-C9D53AB49CC4.thumb.jpeg.82dee53878e60606207947b5fee7c68b.jpeg