Serra 24, DLS 21 Final

Belly Bob

4 hours ago, PopsNW said:

This is factually very wrong -- all of my examples above were from 1st 3 games.  I listed more than 50% of those games.  And, you would have a hard time finding any games where they struggled late during that same period.  

I did the back of napkin math for the last 20 years.

It's factual that ~80% of their pre-league intrastate games were blowouts.

4 hours ago, PopsNW said:

It's sort of like playing catch with a dog -- it's not really going anywhere, but I'm having fun watching him wear himself out

Your arguments aren't any better than they were 3 years ago when you made them last.

I will never get worn out repeating the same logical and objectively true things about De La Salle. 

On 9/4/2022 at 2:41 PM, Atticus Finch said:

Huh?

I can't even decipher what this means.

Are you trying to say that Serra or Bellarmine might have been on par with Centennial, Mater Dei, St. John Bosco?

In the double-OT Bellarmine year, Santa Margarita won the SS D-I title, but Westlake was chosen for the Open.  In the D-I SGB, Bellarmine played SM toe-to-toe, who scored their winning TD with about a minute to play.

So, in that year, Bellarmine was very much about as good as the top SoCal teams.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 1:32 PM, Belly Bob said:

I'm from Southern CA and I went to college in the Bay Area, where I would take the BART to see them play at home. I've been following the program since I watched them beat MD in the '90s.

I don't want them to be aggressive in their admissions policies. 

I know there are a lot of reasons why they haven't had the same success they had during the '90s and early 2000s. I don't want sloppy football to be one of those reasons. 

I thought you said you were from Indiana or some place like that.

On 9/3/2022 at 12:34 PM, Extremely Humble said:

I think that DLS isn’t too far behind but Serra is just plain better than them this season. DLS was  fortunate the game was even that close. Serra fumbled twice near DLS goal line and didn’t even punt until half way through the 3rd quarter. Serra moved the ball pretty easily against DLS and they didn’t even have two starting tackles (injured in Folsom game). 

The big 3 of Serra, DLS and Folsom is close but Serra gets the nod for the open. They are going to steamroll the rest of their schedule. 

I think we may need to pump the brakes a little on this...

St. Mary's unexpectedly kicked the crap out of Central Catholic last weekend.  They play DLS in early October and may meet Folsom in the SJS D-I playoffs.

Pittsburg unexpectedly whipped what might be the #2 team in Nevada.  They get Folsom in 2 weeks and may see DLS in the NCS Open playoffs.

With DLS struggling this year, it's not out of the question that either (or both) could finally take the Spartans.  Folsom hasn't been as dominant in the SJS as they've been in the past, either.  It's entirely possible that Serra's two big wins could be matched.

While the WCAL, aside from Serra, does appear down, there's no guarantee that a St. Francis is the #2, 3, or even 4 team in the CCS.  There could be two undefeated public schools in D-I and a third that will be solid.  All three of these teams already have wins over WCAL schools.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 12:00 PM, Extremely Humble said:

Technically yes but he’s buried on Sac States depth chart and he was def not a stud. DLS hasn’t had a QB like teams like Serra and Folsom have right now for over a decade. 

Eh, he red-shirted last season. And has 2 productive seniors ahead of him.

He made an appearance in their postseason game last year, so perhaps they see a future for him?

At this point in time declaring that he’s definitely not a “stud” is short-sighted. We don’t yet know what he is or isn’t.

Regardless, the point remains. He is on a D1 roster. So you were wrong about that. There’s no need to denigrate the kid because he’s not yet playing much. That’s just straying from the point.

As for Hale not being the type of QB Folsom has had, it’s funny — Hale is currently in the same QB room as Kaiden Bennett, i.e. Folsom’s most prolific QB since Jake Browning. And Bennett isn’t playing over those two Seniors either.

Just sayin….

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

[...]

At this point in time declaring that he’s definitely not a “stud” is short-sighted. We don’t yet know what he is or isn’t.

[...]

As for Hale not being the type of QB Folsom has had, it’s funny — Hale is currently in the same QB room as Kaiden Bennett, i.e. Folsom’s most prolific QB since Jake Browning. And Bennett isn’t playing over those two Seniors either.

Just sayin….

I watched Hale pretty closely. I was excited because he got snaps on varsity as a freshman and he looked good when he was in there.

I liked him a lot as a player. I liked the way he carried himself on the field. But he never really developed as a passer. He often decided where he was going to throw it before the snap. I've seen him throw deep into triple coverage when the underneath route was wide open. And he never developed accuracy, either. Even when he found the open receiver, he often failed to deliver a catchable ball. 

But that might be because of the program he was in. I don't know whether DLS has the staff or the playbook to develop passers. Some of those plays were so funky. He'd sometimes sprint to the right like he was running the veer and then try to connect with a receiver who was sprinting to his left. It's not surprising he missed often.

Maybe if he had come up in Folsom's system or Cen10's system, he would've looked like a dual threat "stud". 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

I watched Hale pretty closely. I was excited because he got snaps on varsity as a freshman and he looked good when he was in there.

I liked him a lot as a player. I liked the way he carried himself on the field. But he never really developed as a passer. He often decided where he was going to throw it before the snap. I've seen him throw deep into triple coverage when the underneath route was wide open. And he never developed accuracy, either. Even when he found the open receiver, he often failed to deliver a catchable ball. 

But that might be because of the program he was in. I don't know whether DLS has the staff or the playbook to develop passers. Some of those plays were so funky. He'd sometimes sprint to the right like he was running the veer and then try to connect with a receiver who was sprinting to his left. It's not surprising he missed often.

Maybe if he had come up in Folsom's system or Cen10's system, he would've looked like a dual threat "stud". 

Your analysis of Hale seems fair. 

And you stole my next retort to EH, which is he’s in denial if he doesn’t believe Hale could have been much more successful and prolific had he come up and been developed in a much more QB friendly system.

Hell, he did enough to torch Folsom every time he faced them throwing from the run-heavy veer. I have little doubt he would have been super successful running Folsom’s offense, as pretty much every single QB has been that’s gone through that program since 2008.

Lastly, I find it quite interesting and telling that Troy Taylor — who is the QB guru that built Folsom’s offensive system — recruited Hale to his current Hornets team. Clearly Taylor knows a thing or two about QB’s and clearly felt he was a kid he could develop in his system.

Whether that ever happens or not is still up in the air. But it’s undeniable that Taylor likes and believes in his talent and skill set. That’s not trivial or something to be ignored with regard to accusations EH made about him here.

If anyone can develop a kid like Dorian Hale, it’s Troy Taylor. His track record working with QB’s from HS to college is remarkable. 

Had Dorian come up through Folsom’s system from youth to HS, he’d surely be much further along in his development.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 2:17 AM, Cal 14 said:

I think we may need to pump the brakes a little on this...

St. Mary's unexpectedly kicked the crap out of Central Catholic last weekend.  They play DLS in early October and may meet Folsom in the SJS D-I playoffs.

Pittsburg unexpectedly whipped what might be the #2 team in Nevada.  They get Folsom in 2 weeks and may see DLS in the NCS Open playoffs.

With DLS struggling this year, it's not out of the question that either (or both) could finally take the Spartans.  Folsom hasn't been as dominant in the SJS as they've been in the past, either.  It's entirely possible that Serra's two big wins could be matched.

While the WCAL, aside from Serra, does appear down, there's no guarantee that a St. Francis is the #2, 3, or even 4 team in the CCS.  There could be two undefeated public schools in D-I and a third that will be solid.  All three of these teams already have wins over WCAL schools.

Setting the rooting interest aside, NorCal is pretty competitive this year which is interesting in a good way (except for the part where we get clocked at the end).  The other score that surprised me this week was McClymonds 24 - Bellarmine 21 (OT), so I went and found the game writeup:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/09/03/mcclymonds-honors-bill-russell-with-a-defensive-masterpiece-and-overtime-win-against-bellarmine/

Mack  was honoring alum Bill Russell that night, so it's somehow fitting that the defense forces a fumble, preserving the W on the last play that, per report, looked like it was going for a  Bellarmine TD and the W.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 4:04 AM, ThunderRam said:

Eh, he red-shirted last season. And has 2 productive seniors ahead of him.

He made an appearance in their postseason game last year, so perhaps they see a future for him?

Regardless, the point remains. He is on a D1 roster. So you were wrong about that. There’s no need to denigrate the kid because he’s not yet playing much. That’s just straying from the point.

Just sayin….

Hale is a good player as stated in my previous post but DLS needs a stud. To me a stud isn't riding pine at Sac State. I played soccer at Sac State and wouldn't consider myself a "stud". On my competitive team we had 3 guys go to schools like UCLA, Clemson and Colorado St. To me those were the studs. Game changers. DLS hasn't had a QB that is a straight baller in forever. Hale and Sweeney were dawgs and really good players on the high school level but nothing special past. 

1 hour ago, Extremely Humble said:

Hale is a good player as stated in my previous post but DLS needs a stud. To me a stud isn't riding pine at Sac State. I played soccer at Sac State and wouldn't consider myself a "stud". On my competitive team we had 3 guys go to schools like UCLA, Clemson and Colorado St. To me those were the studs. Game changers. DLS hasn't had a QB that is a straight baller in forever. Hale and Sweeney were dawgs and really good players on the high school level but nothing special past. 

Isn’t your former Folsom QB Kayden Bennett at Sac State?…. Wasn’t he the Sac Bee Offensive Player of the year?…. 

Folsom Fabs sure considered him a “Stud”…, 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

Isn’t your former Folsom QB Kayden Bennett at Sac State?…. Wasn’t he the Sac Bee Offensive Player of the year?…. 

Folsom Fabs sure considered him a “Stud”…, 🤣

Yeah Bennett is on Sac State and is currently ahead of Hale on the depth chart. Based on social media it looks like those 2 have actually turned into good friends. Bennett hasn't panned out as most expected I'll admit but Folsom has had multiple QB's since that short time ago that will be/are playing D1. Folsom pumps out D1 QB's damn near every year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

Which Folsom QB’s are D1?…. The only one I am aware of is Jake Browning…. 

Maybe Dano Graves?…. Was there a kid who walked on at ASU?…. 

Ari Patu is currently at Stanford. Looked pretty good last weekend. 

Jake Reithmeier is currently at UC San Diego.

Austin Mack (currently Folsom QB) has offers to all of the Pac 12. 

Ryder Lyons (currently Freshmen QB) has offers from Utah and BYU. Brother to 4 star Walker. 

Those are QB's that were after Kaiden Bennett graduated.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

Ari Patu is currently at Stanford. Looked pretty good last weekend. 

Jake Reithmeier is currently at UC San Diego.

Austin Mack (currently Folsom QB) has offers to all of the Pac 12. 

Ryder Lyons (currently Freshmen QB) has offers from Utah and BYU. Brother to 4 star Walker. 

Those are QB's that were after Kaiden Bennett graduated.  

Thanks!…. It’s easy to forget Patu went to Folsom as he transferred from Washington before his JR year and never started at Folsom due to COVID….

Reitheiner is the one I thought walked on at ASU…. Is UC SD actually D1 in Football?….. 

So it seems though other then Browning, and Patu who Came from Washington and is not from Folsom, no other Folsom QB has been a “D1 Stud Type of QB” that actually played in College….. 

Also, Didn’t Bennett Transfer in From Reno as a Sophmore?….. And wasn’t Mack supposed to go to Sheldon High School?….. Or am I confusing that one…. 🤣

3 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Thanks!…. It’s easy to forget Patu went to Folsom as he transferred from Washington before his JR year and never started at Folsom due to COVID….

Reitheiner is the one I thought walked on at ASU…. Is UC SD actually D1 in Football?….. 

So it seems though other then Browning, and Patu who Came from Washington and is not from Folsom, no other Folsom QB has been a “D1 Stud Type of QB” that actually played in College….. 

Also, Didn’t Bennett Transfer in From Reno as a Sophmore?….. And wasn’t Mack supposed to go to Sheldon High School?….. Or am I confusing that one…. 🤣

It sounds like Folsom's attracting QB talent in way that DLS is not. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Yeah Bennett transferred to Folsom his sophmore season and Patu didnt get to play his senior year due to covid. I'm not sure what school Mack was planning on going to but that kid looks legit so far. I had my doubts before the season started but he's impressed so far. He's going to be one of the higher rate QB's next year. Sure helps when your 6'6. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 6:12 PM, Cal 14 said:

Yes, but sadly the Ruby's has gone out of business.

That's a shame. I took my wife and kids down there two Christmases ago. If I remember correctly, they got takeout and ate fries and drank milkshakes on the pier as the sun went down. 

The internet says that it closed in February of '21. We must've been there just weeks before they shut down. 

13 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

Man I thought before the season started DLS had the QB position all figured out. Their QB is big with D1 offers but 2 games into the early season their backup has shown more spark. 

I know. I heard he was playing JV as a freshman and would've been the starter on varsity as a sophomore if he hadn't been hurt. 

But he hasn't looked very good running the veer and he hasn't looked very good passing the ball, either.

It'll be interesting to see what DLS does going forward. You'd think that they could figure out how to get some production from him, but we'll see. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I know. I heard he was playing JV as a freshman and would've been the starter on varsity as a sophomore if he hadn't been hurt. 

But he hasn't looked very good running the veer and he hasn't looked very good passing the ball, either.

It'll be interesting to see what DLS does going forward. You'd think that they could figure out how to get some production from him, but we'll see. 

I see them working a 2 QB system like they did back in 06-07 With I think his name was McGillivery and the other kid…. They were pretty successful doing this back then….

I would like to see them just stick with #13 and develop his passing…. They only need to complete 5-6 good passes a game and it’s more important to have an explosive running QB for DLS style of offense…..