Serra 24, DLS 21 Final

Belly Bob

5 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Serra’s coach went to De La? Hmmmm. 

Alumbaugh loses another that he shouldn’t have. 

Pat Walsh was the captain of the first streak team.  He gets a lot of credit for setting the tone that carried on with the team long after he left...

It was a good game...for Serra fans...but @Belly Bobas second prizes go, hanging out on the game thread was pretty fun.

• Like 6

@THEOC89While I completely agree that not getting the players they normally would have gotten under Lad is a huge problem, I think there at least needs to be discussion that JA is not the guy (for the football job), he may, and I’m sure he does align faithfully and morally with everything DLS represents, but at the end of the day you guys are De La Salle. A brand. JA is by no means a bad coach, but the drop off from Lad has been substantial. 12 on the field to make the chip shot to win even easier? NEVER under Lad. I did see Terron ward is on the staff, hopefully he can get some studs to come in. Kids still want to go to De La Salle, if they had the head man to match the brand…. Could get scary.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

When was the last time DLS had a stud QB? Hale and Sweeney were good players but not D1 guys. It’s pretty wild that the most famous high school football team ever can’t seem to get a dominant QB. I know the DLS offense isn’t qb friendly but just their name brand alone should be bringing in better talent. 

No....... what kid gets to improve for the next level in that system?

8 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

When was the last time DLS had a stud QB? Hale and Sweeney were good players but not D1 guys. It’s pretty wild that the most famous high school football team ever can’t seem to get a dominant QB. I know the DLS offense isn’t qb friendly but just their name brand alone should be bringing in better talent. 

This year's junior QB was supposed to be the guy who could finally make the new offense work, but he was replaced in the second half by the sophomore QB. 

It's a mess. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

Serra should have beaten they by two scores.  They were that much better. 

Yep. 

DLS made some nice defensive plays, no doubt, but some better play calling and execution by Serra could have had them up multiple scores instead of down multiple scores.

They controlled the game for the most part.

I read on another thread somewhere that Serra was minus two starting tackles? Is that correct??

If so, their performance is even more impressive.

4 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

He just isn't the right coach for this program . Way over his head . Doesn't now have the luxury of Lad or Eidsen .  

As an outside observer, the biggest difference I’m noticing the past couple seasons is vulnerability on defense. 

Their veer offense has had its ups and downs over the years, but the defense has typically been elite. Even w/o the elite athletes. 

They still would beat all comers in NorCal because their defense was so fundamentally sound and physical. They’ve lost some of that since Eidson left.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

We could've used him tonight

It may have hurt  in two ways.  DLS obviously misses him on the field, but I also kinda got the sense Alapati knew where he needed to be on that last int...perhaps because of his time in the DLS system.  Don't get me wrong, the throw was errant, and I think Serra would've eventually won w/out that Int.  It just speeded up the process and put an ironic twist on the end. 

In the earlier drive, if DLS doesn't drop that pass, it at least goes for big yardage changing the clock and field position situation.  If DLS makes that catch, pretty decent chance they could've finessed a win against the better team (but by no means given).

The DLS QB question is the classic more accurate passer, but doesn't run the veer well vs. the better veer but isn't as good on his throws dilemma.  I lean toward the Soph.  I agree with @ThunderRam, they really miss Eidson.  Thought so last year too.

I agree with you.  It's a mess.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

Serra should have beaten they by two scores.  They were that much better. 

I don't disagree, and I don't want to put words into @HurricaneNick's mouth, but despite Serra's dominance, DLS was up two scores going into the 4th.

They had put together back-to-back scoring drives in the 3Q and forced to Serra to punt for the first time. It was their game to lose at that point.

Maybe a better coached team holds on and gets away with a win.

• Like 1