Lakeland is better than

badrouter

3 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

They can also better evaluate themselves and/or toughen up by playing quality opponents.

Well, there's some truth to that. However, I happen to think the value in what you describe is severely overrated. Lake Gibson is a great example of this. They traveled to play American Heritage. It was said playing that game would help make LG a better team. This despite the fact that AH is waayyy better than LG and easily forced a running clock. So, how did that turn out for LG? LG proceeded to go lose at a weak Lehigh team, and then were effortlessly blown out by Lee and Lakeland, each by a larger margin than AH beat them by. It's safe to say the 2022 LG team gained nothing from playing at AH. Playing tough teams doesn't result in better players suddenly showing up. 

11 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Castle apparently doesn't need to do anything any more except pad his win total. I think he's trying to be the John McKissick of Florida and there's no evidence to the contrary.

He may well have his eye on the all-time wins total. My hunch is he'd like to pass Corky Rogers. He's the only coach of a nationally rated team with a prayer of reaching that many wins. None of the other coaches mentioned here can even consider such things. I don't think anyone really faults him for this. There's the criticism people make every year, but such is life.

1 minute ago, badrouter said:

I don't think anyone really faults him for this.

I do.

I find it unbecoming to use a high school program as a personal vehicle for one's ego.

Funny that you think playing an OOS game is only for egomaniacs but sticking around as coach into your late 70s just to break the wins record somehow isn't.

11 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

And and so was 2019 Plant City, 2020 Bloomingdale, etc.

Ironically, all teams that Lakeland played and needed to pump for selfish reasons.

"...better than people realize" is relative. 2019 Plant City was indeed better than many realized. I can say that because most here thought they were a total zero joke. In reality, they had Mario Williams (now the 2nd best WR on a top 5 team) and beat Tampa Jesuit, who had several sophomores who'd win the 2021 state title playing a lot. 

2020 was a weird, awful season. It's easy to get a lot wrong in that strange of a year.

16 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Like what?

Lakeland pays teams from 4 hours away to come to Polk to take a beating and cash a check. They couldn't do that for an OOS team?

Nonsense.

The limitations are on Polk county teams traveling out of county. Not the other way around. 

I'm not saying they completely explain the lack of traveling. I don't really know on that.

16 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Then he should retire.

But he won't since he *is* Lakeland's program and he will probably die coaching the team.

Why should he retire? He seems to still love doing the job, is still calling the plays as OC, and has powerful teams every year but the plague year.

13 hours ago, badrouter said:

I must also say that describing Osceola merely as “with a pulse” is an absolute dogshit characterization. Let us not forget you once had Rockledge ahead of  Lakeland. How did Rockledge fair on their home field vs. Osceola? 

🤡

“With a pulse”  is slang for the “only good team”

I kept Osceola in my top 25 the whole time. I believe they are really good. 

with a pulse is not a diss, it’s a compliment 

15 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Of course you do because it's convenient for your argument.

It might be convenient for my argument, but I really do think the tough schedule as a means of improving a current team is badly overrated. It may help attract players to future teams, though. Ultimately, it is experience and repetitions in general that lead to improvement. Those repetitions can be against teams of similar ability, less ability or more ability. They're all worth about the same. However, getting your skull dented by vastly superior opponents over and over can really harm team morale, and vice versa.

2 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Why should he retire? He seems to still love doing the job, 

Because that's the fucking job. Taking long bus rides with high school kids. You just perfectly explained why he *doesn't* love the job.

Sure, he loves it the way the Lakeland booster club allows him to do it. Take absolutely zero risk, play 8 home games a year and cruise on reputation.

17 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Lake Gibson sucks so it's not an apt comparison to Mater Dei, etc.

Lake Gibson is another team that you always claim is better than we think but almost never actually is.

Lake Gibson sucks. Their head coach was on Twitter boasting of how the AH game would make them better. It didn't make them better, not even relative to their weak starting position.

41 minutes ago, badrouter said:

It's one thing to play a few of those games when all expenses are paid. But, to keep seeking them out, like a Venice does, can only be explained by an egomaniac coach looking to grab headlines for himself. There's also quite the difference between a private school in a major metropolitan area and a public school subject to county school board limitations. 

If someone trustworthy were to disclose some actual contractual terms offered to and rejected by Lakeland, I would be more able to offer an opinion on the matter. But, it's simple common sense to not want to be stuck riding many hours on a school bus through the middle of the night after a stressful game.

So it's okay when it's all expenses paid but when both teams GAIN money and a team like Venice hosts it then he's being an egomaniac

Venice looked somewhat competitive for a bit in that game (being they didn't get running clocked like you predicted) and they got a cut of TV revenue and a gate for the game but your telling me the best games Lakeland could get is Osceola and Apopka? Give me a break!