Lakeland is better than

badrouter

3 hours ago, TruthSerum said:

In other words beating Osceola is a good win on a state level but not a national level?

I guess it kind of depends on what you consider a good national level win?  Is it a team ranked in the Top 10,20,50,100,250 nationally?

I know Maxpreps rankings arent the best, but they have Osceola ranked as the 97th best team in the nation.

Not to mention if they make an extra point against Seminole they win and are probably ranked higher.

1 hour ago, Svargas19 said:

I guess it kind of depends on what you consider a good national level win?  Is it a team ranked in the Top 10,20,50,100,250 nationally?

I know Maxpreps rankings arent the best, but they have Osceola ranked as the 97th best team in the nation.

Not to mention if they make an extra point against Seminole they win and are probably ranked higher.

Hey you wouldn't happen to know where I could see video of that game in 2009 do you??

1 hour ago, Svargas19 said:

For context of this board I would say either top 25 or top 50 nationally is what a lot of the people here see as nationally good win

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TruthSerum said:

For context of this board I would say either top 25 or top 50 nationally is what a lot of the people here see as nationally good win

It all depends on who the team is that's playing them.   Beating a top 100 team is always a good win, but if a team is claiming  to be top 5 or whatever in the nation...it's a different story.  

Like JSerra is a very very good squad, but MD scraping by them while claiming they are the best team that the gods have allowed us to witness here on earth is a terrible look.  Especially since MD fans rigorously enjoy stating that MD would put a running clock on every OOS team being discussed.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 954gator said:

It's funny that time that Osceola played Carson they gave Carson their worst loss of the year.  That Carson team beat MD by the way.    

I almost mentioned this game in the thread where those two bozos @GoBigBlack and @CaliNorth tried to argue that Crenshaw was way better and more physical than Lakeland.

But it's a little bit convoluted.

So Crenshaw beat Narbonne in the LA City Section Championship to qualify for the state bowl game. It was one of their best wins that year. Narbonne was in the Marine League. The champion of the Marine League was......Carson. They beat Narbonne by 2 touchdowns in the regular season and then lost to them by 4 points in the rematch.

Osceola lost to Lakeland twice (by 16 and 19 points) and had 5 total losses. All by 2 or more scores.

You realize that they're just making shit up when they start trying to argue LA City Section teams are way better than Lakeland.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 954gator said:

I'd be willing to bet Osceolas shitty computer ranking is the sole reason Carson is ranked 70+ in state 😂 

Shoot back then pretty sure mont vista, Pittsburg, and a bunch of such and such Valley's were ranked like top 100-200 in the nation SMH.

hilariously bad. And, true to form, the "Project a match up" has Carson beating Osceola that season, and also has DLS beating Lakeland. This despite the fact that those games actually happened, (Lakeland traveled 3,000 miles to the Bay area) and the actual results were reversed. The computer rejects reality in favor of its preferred narrative.

8 hours ago, Svargas19 said:

The fact of the matter is that if Lakeland had played J Serra, it would have been given credit for playing "somebody", would have had Shyster Joe washing their balls, and would have received a big boost in the beloved calpreps (which are the same as the Maxpreps you mention, just with margin of victory/defeat thrown out, we think.) Never mind the fact that Osceola is considerably better than J Serra. (True to form, J Serra is rated above Osceola in calpreps).

52 minutes ago, badrouter said:

The fact of the matter is that if Lakeland had played J Serra, it would have been given credit for playing "somebody", would have had Shyster Joe washing their balls, and would have received a big boost in the beloved calpreps (which are the same as the Maxpreps you mention, just with margin of victory/defeat thrown out, we think.) Never mind the fact that Osceola is considerably better than J Serra. (True to form, J Serra is rated above Osceola in calpreps).

To be fair and impartial I'd say that's debatable as well.   

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

Osceola has several elite players. J Serra has none. South Orange county, CA doesn't produce talent and athletes like central Florida does.

JS is ideally located (& was created) to attract athletes from 4 separate counties. Not a part of the diocese. Pulling kids from OC, LA, SD, IE. You should know this living in south OC. Unfortunately, they didn’t land a top 5 player and 5 star recruit like McClain this past recruiting cycle like Lakeland did. Hell, MD and Bosco aren’t even poaching 5 stars from nearby schools Lol. What proves Osceola is better than JS, OLu, SM, MV, SC, Edison, etc? & I'm not saying those schools are better than Osceola, I'm just asking. A players star ratings? Again, how have IMG and Frances lost or struggled if talent and athletes are all that matter? What do stars mean really? Haynes king was ranked ahead of Bryce young in high school. You know how it goes. Mater Dei started a 14 year old freshman (no offers, no stars) at guard against a  st Frances front 4 that had 4 SEC committed defensive lineman (Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Ole Miss) and nearly put a running clock on them. St Frances actually had way more D1 FBS prospects on the field that night. Maybe twice the amount.Lol. 

Jimbo has the best recruiting class of ALL TIME enrolled and on campus. He also had 5 recruiting classes that were near the top of the country thus far in college station. Those 5* studs went through spring ball and fall camp. Many have gone through multiple seasons since his 2017 arrival. They lost to app state at home and got abused by Miss st. Those stars mean what exactly? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, badrouter said:

Osceola has several elite players. J Serra has none. 

Oh, if you said talented instead of better I'd agree with you.    I mean it's really early in season to just say one team is way better.   Especially after JSerra battled with MD.    I know they got smoked by Cen10 too so who knows?   Osceola is 2-2  with losses to pretty good teams,  JS is 3-3 with losses to pretty good teams...I dunno.

8 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Jimbo has the best recruiting class of ALL TIME enrolled and on campus. He also had 5 recruiting classes that were near the top of the country thus far in college station. Those 5* studs went through spring ball and fall camp. Many have gone through multiple seasons since his 2017 arrival. They lost to app state at home and got abused by Miss st. Those stars mean what exactly? 

Age matters a lot nowadays especially since the transfer portal can bring you in 24ish yr old vets up front.   

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

JS is ideally located (& was created) to attract athletes from 4 separate counties. Not a part of the diocese. Pulling kids from OC, LA, SD, IE. You should know this living in south OC. Unfortunately, they didn’t land a top 5 player and 5 star recruit like McClain this past recruiting cycle like Lakeland did. Hell, MD and Bosco aren’t even poaching 5 stars from nearby schools Lol. What proves Osceola is better than JS, OLu, SM, MV, SC, Edison, etc? & I'm not saying those schools are better than Osceola, I'm just asking. A players star ratings? Again, how have IMG and Frances lost or struggled if talent and athletes are all that matter? What do stars mean really? Haynes king was ranked ahead of Bryce young in high school. You know how it goes. Mater Dei started a 14 year old freshman (no offers, no stars) at guard against a  st Frances front 4 that had 4 SEC committed defensive lineman (Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Ole Miss) and nearly put a running clock on them. St Frances actually had way more D1 FBS prospects on the field that night. Maybe twice the amount.Lol. 

The nature of the athletes available in south OC (which I’m eyeing to live in within a year or two) are different than what’s in central Florida. South OC has plenty of taller guys, plenty of QBs and plenty of helicopter parents who will train the shit out of their kids. Height is good for TEs, and helps for developing lineman to be recruited. I do think it’s the most overrated physical attribute for high school players (this is a separate topic for another day). 

What’s lacking in south OC is fast-twitch speed guys, and the mentality that comes with feeling like football is life. Osceola’s team speed is almost certainly dramatically more than JS. And they happen to be a well-coached team with more thought put into their schemes than you’d see at a St. Frances or some other simpleton staff. And Osceola has some elite players that change the game. Two high 4* DLs, 4* Jakeem Jackson who is a player now, a RB who will vie with MD’s for tops in 2025, and a couple other 3* guys. They are better than a team that beat NEWPORT HARBOR by one score.

14 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Agree. I literally followed that with “I’m not saying those schools are better than Osceola.” Lol

Fair enough. Now, if I said Osceola is better than Corona Centennial, would you have a hissy fit and say it’s been proven that they aren’t? If not, then we’re all squared away. :)