Wish we had sheriff’s like this guy by me

FreeBird

5 hours ago, FreeBird said:

California, not just his county, has the Castle Doctrine. If folks knew the law in their state they don’t need his approval to exercise that right.  (NJ has one too) He’s just babbling acting as if he’s creating some special courtesy in Santa Rosa county and he’s not. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

California, not just his county, has the Castle Doctrine. If folks knew the law in their state they don’t need his approval to exercise that right.  (NJ has one too) He’s just babbling acting as if he’s creating some special courtesy in Santa Rosa county and he’s not. 

He's not acting like he created something.

He was informing people about their rights under the law.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, concha said:

He's not acting like he created something.

He was informing people about their rights under the law.

Yea he is, it’s not special to Santa Rosa county, it’s state law. He’s not granting people the right to do anything it’s already established.  (Him staying he desired more ppl would shoot)   

Additionally, my point to the NJ poster is they don’t have to wish having a sheriff like this, they have the same Castle Doctrine in NJ. 

• Like 1

Actually I would rather have a sheriff,

that could and would be able to handle it in a timely enough fashion,

than to ever have to shoot someone...

... but maybe that’s just me 🤷‍♂️

Ps. I know that may sound (and be) unrealistic, but all things considered, a man who is paid to be in that position should not be delegating those duties back onto the public’s shoulders...

just sayin’

🤷‍♂️

41 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Yea he is, it’s not special to Santa Rosa county, it’s state law. He’s not granting people the right to do anything it’s already established.  (Him staying he desired more ppl would shoot)   

Additionally, my point to the NJ poster is they don’t have to wish having a sheriff like this, they have the same Castle Doctrine in NJ. 

1) Sheriffs don't make law. So he wasn't. Again, he was informing people of their right. As he's SR county sheriff, speaking for SR county is hardly unusual and does not mean he was saying it isn't the case elsewhere.

2) The NJ poster was referring to the guy's attitude about home defense.

3) He's a Florida sheriff, but given your take on the above, it's not shocking you assumed the wrong state also.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Troll said:

Ps. I know that may sound (and be) unrealistic, but all things considered, a man who is paid to be in that position should not be delegating those duties back onto the public’s shoulders...

just sayin’

🤷‍♂️

BANG! CRASH!

You backdoor just got kicked in.

How long for the bad guy to get to where you are in the house?

Given we can't have a cop on premises in everyone's home, you need to roll the dice.  You can bet that the bad guy isn't intent on harming you (or that you will never face this situation), but if he is looking to or is willing to cause you harm you can: 1) make sure you can protect yourself, or 2) hope that the time it takes to call 9-1-1, to talk to the operator/dispatcher, for them to send out the call, and for the cops to react and travel to your home is shorter than the journey from the back door to the rest of your home.

FYI, in most urban and suburban places it takes several minutes for all that to happen.  Sit down and stare a clock for just 5 minutes. It'll seem like a LONG time.  As you get out to rural areas you can have situations where the bad guy could kill you and watch an episode of Seinfeld before the cops show up.

55 minutes ago, Troll said:

just sayin’

🤷‍♂️

You can sleep with a female sheiff........at your house.......oh, unrealistic.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, concha said:

BANG! CRASH!

You backdoor just got kicked in.

How long for the bad guy to get to where you are in the house?

Given we can't have a cop on premises in everyone's home, you need to roll the dice.  You can bet that the bad guy isn't intent on harming you (or that you will never face this situation), but if he is looking to or is willing to cause you harm you can: 1) make sure you can protect yourself, or 2) hope that the time it takes to call 9-1-1, to talk to the operator/dispatcher, for them to send out the call, and for the cops to react and travel to your home is shorter than the journey from the back door to the rest of your home.

FYI, in most urban and suburban places it takes several minutes for all that to happen.  Sit down and stare a clock for just 5 minutes. It'll seem like a LONG time.  As you get out to rural areas you can have situations where the bad guy could kill you and watch an episode of Seinfeld before the cops show up.

Never said you should give up your right to protect yourself...(you should not)

just gave my opinion that I would rather that those trained and paid (by me) to accomplish that task had the ability to do so...

pipe dream, I know 🤷‍♂️

I guess my issue with his statement was “his preferrence ” that I should do his job...

ps. He “should have” said, dial 911 First, then if we can’t get there in time, and you have to do what you need to do to protect life and limb, we will support you (and not arrest you). 

Just sayin’

🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, concha said:

1) Sheriffs don't make law. So he wasn't. Again, he was informing people of their right. As he's SR county sheriff, speaking for SR county is hardly unusual and does not mean he was saying it isn't the case elsewhere.

2) The NJ poster was referring to the guy's attitude about home defense.

3) He's a Florida sheriff, but given your take on the above, it's not shocking you assumed the wrong state also.

it doesn’t matter if he’s a Florida sheriff. SYG is a state law and not a county one, which was my point. 

If he was educating ppl on rights then he would tell them then it’s state law

It doesn’t matter what any sheriffs attitude is on ppl exercising their right. Which goes back to my original point that’s he’s not granting or authorizing 💩 

ppl need to know the laws in their STATE and act accordingly and with confidence within that law…period! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wildcat Will said:

You can sleep with a female sheiff........at your house.......oh, unrealistic.😁

sounds great!!! 🤣🤣🤣

And yea, unrealistic  I know, where I am sitting right now if I called the cops to say my car was stolen, and could they send out an officer...well...

after the sounds of laughter settled down on the other end, I would be informed that I could always come down to the station (with no car 🤔) and file a report, but that there is really nothing that they could do...

truth/reality 

☹️

59 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

it doesn’t matter if he’s a Florida sheriff. SYG is a state law and not a county one, which was my point. 

It doesn’t matter what any sheriffs attitude is on ppl exercising their right. Which goes back to my original point that’s he’s not granting or authorizing 💩 

ppl need to know the laws in their STATE and act accordingly and with confidence within that law…period! 

He was speaking out to someone who was a resident of the county, not a statewide announcement. This fact appears to challenge your ability to comprehend.

The poster you referred to was talking about his attitude.

If you can't follow the bouncing ball, that's a "you" problem.

35 minutes ago, Troll said:

sounds great!!! 🤣🤣🤣

And yea, unrealistic  I know, where I am sitting right now if I called the cops to say my car was stolen, and could they send out an officer...well...

after the sounds of laughter settled down on the other end, I would be informed that I could always come down to the station (with no car 🤔) and file a report, but that there is really nothing that they could do...

truth/reality 

☹️

Man has to do what a man has to do 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Unfortunately NJ doesn’t enforce or support that castle doctrine much...

...but they WILL aggressively enforce the NJ DUTY TO RETREAT doctrine. 

Even someone actively breaching a door or window is pretty much safe until they are 100% inside and actively physically harming you...

Shoot someone “just” robbing your home and you will most likely wind up in jail...😔

just sayin’

12 minutes ago, concha said:

He was speaking out to someone who was a resident of the county, not a statewide announcement. This fact appears to challenge your ability to comprehend.

The poster you referred to was talking about his attitude.

If you can't follow the bouncing ball, that's a "you" problem.

The local resident is still governed by the state law not what he thinks is county law.  It really is that simple 

again, what the sheriff thinks is irrelevant, it shouldn’t generate confidence in what one does or doesn’t do. The DA will make a determination of what action was legal/appropriate not what the sheriff prefers we do. 

The takeaway is still to know the laws of the state and operate confidently 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

The local resident is still governed by the state law not what he thinks is county law.  It really is that simple 

again, what the sheriff thinks is irrelevant, it shouldn’t generate confidence in what one does or doesn’t do. The DA will make a determination of what action was legal/appropriate not what the sheriff prefers we do. 

The takeaway is still to know the laws of the state and operate confidently 

What really matters is that the law governs his home. It doesn't matter whether it's local, county or state. 

The sheriff deals with the laws as they apply to his county. He was simply telling the person, who had apparently fled, that they did nothing wrong.

15 minutes ago, concha said:

What really matters is that the law governs his home. It doesn't matter whether it's local, county or state. 

The sheriff deals the laws as they apply to his county. He was simply telling the person, who had apparently fled, that they did nothing wrong.

Yes the STATE law governs his home.  Him preferring they shoot the culprit anyways is irrelevant coming from him, not only from what’s allowed by law but by also the one person who would judge the individual action to be legal anyways…a DA (he’s out of line to suggest shoot anyways) 

Regardless, I’m not going to go round and round with you on this. It’s not that important of an issue   

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Troll said:

Unfortunately NJ doesn’t enforce or support that castle doctrine much...

...but they WILL aggressively enforce the NJ DUTY TO RETREAT doctrine. 

Even someone actively breaching a door or window is pretty much safe until they are 100% inside and actively physically harming you...

Shoot someone “just” robbing your home and you will most likely wind up in jail...😔

just sayin’

NJ can’t the criminal sue the homeowner if criminal gets hurt in the home invasion 

22 minutes ago, FreeBird said:

NJ can’t the criminal sue the homeowner if criminal gets hurt in the home invasion 

While you can sue anyone for anything,,,here you go...

Eh..won’t copy off phone... just google NJ burglar sues homeowner and you should find several...

3 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Most officers don't know their laws and some that do don't care to follow them. 

• Like 1