Gorman v DeMatha Story

Tuasdad

2 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Austin is no joke. The kid was built for college last year. I'm surprised he committed to UMD. I thought he was heading down south for the SEC. 

DeMatha and Gorman have the same questions this coming season, which I think will make for a very interesting game...

1. Will the new QB's be ready for a huge OOS game in their first career starts? 

2. Both teams have the talent, but half of the players that are being asked to step up haven't proven their potential on the field yet. That's not a bad thing. Just adds some suspense.

6 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Austin is no joke. The kid was built for college last year. I'm surprised he committed to UMD. I thought he was heading down south for the SEC. 

DeMatha and Gorman have the same questions this coming season, which I think will make for a very interesting game...

2. Both teams have the talent, but half of the players that are being asked to step up haven't proven their potential on the field yet. That's not a bad thing. Just adds some suspense.

What are your thoughts on 2020 RB Marshawn Lloyd?  Kid looks good, really good, and he's only going to be a soph this year.

1 minute ago, 954gator said:

What are your thoughts on 2020 RB Marshawn Lloyd?  Kid looks good, really good, and he's only going to be a soph this year.

They are very high on him. He's the #1 RB in '20 as of now, so he has all of the measurables, but he didn't get many touches as a freshman. His one start last season he went 11 rushes for 230 TD's and 4 TD's against a sub par league opponent. As of right now, all I can say is he's 5'10 205lbs and fast as hell. We'll find out the important stuff in a couple of days...

• Thanks 1

DeMatha's two four star offensive linemen did not play in the SFA scrimmage.  

The linked article above says the game is on ESPNU.  It's not.  It's on ESPN @ 9:00PM EST.

I saw DeMatha beat New York's Power Memorial in 1965 which established the national reputation for Morgan Wooten's DeMatha basketball team. (three players off of that team went into the NBA)  It didn't matter that DM was the unoffical national champion in 1962-it was Power Memorial's 71 game winning streak and Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) that put DM basketball on the map when DM won.

Only one school has been ranked in USA Today's top 25 football rankings more at the end of the season since 1981 and that is De La Salle.  DM has been there 10 or more times with last year and 1984 the highest.  It also doesn't matter that DeMatha rolled over #2 ranked Miami Central a couple of years ago on national television or a week later beat American Heritage Plantation in Florida (a week after AHP beat IMG in a "preseason" game).

For DM football this will be their Power Memorial and Kareem game:  three consecutive national championships and a 54 game winning streak for Gorman.  Across the United States it is a victory over Gorman that matters the most.  If DM wins on Friday, football will reign in the D. C. suburbs for the next decade or two.

The weather forecast for Las Vegas on Friday is for a high of 103 degrees.

I cannot imagine how hot it will be on the field at 6:00PM when the game starts.  Depth is going to play a role in this game.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

I cannot imagine how hot it will be on the field at 6:00PM when the game starts.  Depth is going to play a role in this game.

It'll still be triple digits at kickoff + turf will keep things toasty.  DeMatha side will have the sun shining on them for probably at least the 1st Q

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

DeMatha's two four star offensive linemen did not play in the SFA scrimmage.  

The linked article above says the game is on ESPNU.  It's not.  It's on ESPN @ 9:00PM EST.

I saw DeMatha beat New York's Power Memorial in 1965 which established the national reputation for Morgan Wooten's DeMatha basketball team. (three players off of that team went into the NBA)  It didn't matter that DM was the unoffical national champion in 1962-it was Power Memorial's 71 game winning streak and Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) that put DM basketball on the map when DM won.

Only one school has been ranked in USA Today's top 25 football rankings more at the end of the season since 1981 and that is De La Salle.  DM has been there 10 or more times with last year and 1984 the highest.  It also doesn't matter that DeMatha rolled over #2 ranked Miami Central a couple of years ago on national television or a week later beat American Heritage Plantation in Florida (a week after AHP beat IMG in a "preseason" game).

For DM football this will be their Power Memorial and Kareem game:  three consecutive national championships and a 54 game winning streak for Gorman.  Across the United States it is a victory over Gorman that matters the most.  If DM wins on Friday, football will reign in the D. C. suburbs for the next decade or two.

Corrected it to show ESPN not ESPNU. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

If scrimmages are any indication, it looks like both QB's are ready.

• Like 2

Interestingly DeMatha is already IN Las Vegas.  They flew out on Wednesday morning.  This will be three afternoons to prepare them for the heat and time change for the game early Friday evening.

They are actually fortunate the game isn't being played Saturday or Sunday.  Accuweather is forecasting a high of 106 on Saturday and 108 on Sunday.  Again, Thursday's forecast high is 99 and game day is 103.

8 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Interestingly DeMatha is already IN Las Vegas.  They flew out on Wednesday morning.  This will be three afternoons to prepare them for the heat and time change for the game early Friday evening.

They are actually fortunate the game isn't being played Saturday or Sunday.  Accuweather is forecasting a high of 106 on Saturday and 108 on Sunday.  Again, Thursday's forecast high is 99 and game day is 103.

We welcomed them with massive lightning and rain yesterday.  This morning it's cool and dark.  Tomorrow we unleash the sun & heat ;)

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Big Drop you must be older than dirt if you saw (Kareem) Lew Alcindor in hs.:D 

I would like to see DeMatha pull the upset Friday nite. If not, I hope they signed a home and home with BG. 

7 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

Big Drop you must be older than dirt if you saw (Kareem) Lew Alcindor in hs.:D 

I would like to see DeMatha pull the upset Friday nite. If not, I hope they signed a home and home with BG. 

I graduated from Montgomery Blair high school in Silver Spring, MD in 1964.  My best friend went to DeMatha and because of him I started following the school.  The buildup for the Power Memorial/Kareem basketball game was unreal:  it sold out the University of Maryland's Cole Field House (12,500) for the first time and, when DM won, it mad the front page of the old Daily News.

In truth it was more than just a high school basketball game and few people note this:  it was D. C. vs. New York and Washington in '65 was just transitioning from a Southern border city with temporary buildings recently removed from the Mall.  That's temporary from World War II.  And, DeMatha had actually played Power Memorial the year before, in '64, and almost won then.  I think the final score was a three point difference but, most importantly, it told Morgan and DeMatha that they could win.  That was Kareem's junior year.  

If a Washington area high school could beat a New York city school....well....that was part of the buildup.  And it happened.

Bergen Catholic has, for decades, had an outstanding football program just as SJR.  But it took Don Bosco to go national to give North Jersey credit for great high school football.  For me the biggest OOS victory was Prattville, Alabama when a Jersey school beat the top Alabama program.

In Alabama.

Unthinkable.

But Bosco did it.  And, to this day, when a program in North Jersey is strong it competes for the title of America's best.  The same happened with Coach Lad at DLS.  He may have lost one game in the mid to late '80's and, well into the streak, still didn't receive national respect.  Then he went to Southern Cal, hosted ECA, and started travelling around the U. S.

Unthinkable:  a San Francisco Bay area school was the best in America.

Almost as ludicrous as a North Jersey team being the best in America.

Or a Washington, D. C. area school being the best in America...in basketball.

Now we have a Las Vegas school as the national benchmark:  three national titles and a 54 game winning streak.  And, here comes a D. C. football team who think they can beat them.  Just as a North Jersey school thought they were America's best or a Bay area school thought they were America's best or the same D. C. school thought they were America's best in a different sport.

A very big game tomorrow night.  Could Washington, D. C. possibly be the home of America's best high school football team?

We'll find out.

I'll bet Kareem watches on television...

On 8/23/2017 at 10:03 PM, NicholasMalibu said:

They are very high on him. He's the #1 RB in '20 as of now, so he has all of the measurables, but he didn't get many touches as a freshman. His one start last season he went 11 rushes for 230 TD's and 4 TD's against a sub par league opponent. As of right now, all I can say is he's 5'10 205lbs and fast as hell. We'll find out the important stuff in a couple of days...

230 TDs on 11 carries? That fucker is something from a fiction novel!! 😲😲

Jk. I know what you meant. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1