Ohio Week 2 Discussion/Predictions

Coletrain06

St. Xavier (1-0) @ Colerain (0-1) - Colerain 17 St. X 14 

St. X beat Hinsdale Central IL last week. After falling behind 7-0 almost immediately, St. X rallied to win 43-14. Not sure how much to take from this game.

Colerain was in a defensive slugfest with La Salle. After losing their starting QB Leyendecker to injury in the 2nd half, the offense was shuffled around a bit and began to move the ball with DSM2 in at QB. After a couple turnovers, a dropped TD pass, and a no-call pass interference, Colerain managed 3 pts, but ultimately lost 7-3. Both defenses looked fantastic, and both offenses need some work.

Colerain vs. X is here again. A local Neighborhood rivalry that has become one of the best in the country. 3 of the last 4 matchups have gone to OT.Since 2005 they have played each other every single year for a total of 18 times. Since 2000, St. X leads the rivalry 10-9. St. X's miraculous 2016 playoff run began against an undefeated Colerain team whom was beating X late in the 3rd qtr 23-7, when a blocked punt TD recovery suddenly gave X new life. It was a game that Colerain had no business losing, and probably cost them a state title....and that will certainly weigh heavy on Colerain's mind as they look to avenge that loss. It's no secret that St. X has been the best team at stopping the Colerain option run game. It's also no secret that Colerain has had alot of recent success against St. X due to mixing in a spread option and passing game.....I think this is why Bolden has stuck with Leyendecker at QB for so long, but I think Colerain needs to move on from Leyendecker at QB and let DSM2 take the reins. With the way the Colerain option looked against La Salle, I don't see Colerain scoring much against St. X's D. On the other hand, Colerain's D saw X QB WOlf + WR corp 2x's last year, and did an amazing shutting them down. Most all of X's offensive success came from a mobile QB (Sean Clifford) scrambling. Wolf is more of pocket passer and not as mobile, and Colerain's D front is very good again, so it should be an interesting matchup. 

The last factor that could play a big role in this game......The game is at "The Cage." Statistically, Colerain has to have one of, if not thee, biggest home field advantages in HSFB. Since 1999 Colerain is 86-2 at home, including 11-1 against the GCL. Their 2 losses were in 2011 to St. X(17-14) and in 2014 to Trinity KY(35-26). Colerain has won the last 3 at home vs X. As an analyst, I would pick St. X. As a fan, I pick Colerain.

St. Ignatius (1-0) @ Mentor (1-0) - Iggy 28 Mentor 27

Iggy got a very nice win beating Hoban 17-3 last week. Both team's defenses shined, while the offenses were a little shaky. 

Mentor destroyed Massillon last week 49-14. 

This is a very hard game to predict. Massillon sucks this year, so it's hard to tell how good Mentor may be. Tatarunas is back at QB, and Mentor's potent offense could be back. Mentor's problem has always been Defense. Iggy struggled a bit on offense, so this could make for a good matchup. We'll see if Mentor is back to contender status.

Moeller (1-0) @ Trinity KY (2-0) Trinity KY 35 Moeller 17

Moeller destroyed Hamilton last week 42-7. I was disappointed it was so lopsided because I thought Hamilton was turning a corner. Not much to take from this game.

Trinity had a huge win over Warren Central 42-41. It's the 2nd Indiana power they've knocked off in as many weeks. Trinity had a lot of succes running the ball, especially with Mcguire whom accounted for 5 TD's. Warren Central was able to answer Trinity's scores, but fell short when they attempted a go-ahead 2 pt. conversion, that was jut short of the goal line.

I'm glad Trinity is playing Moeller again. Moeller always plays Trinity tough. Moeller has a very nice mobile QB McBride. He should give trinity some trouble. Moe also has good size, per usual. I think Trinity's D front could be the difference. Not sure how good of a passer McBride is. Also a big factor in this is the possible injuries of Moe's 2 best players, LB Hawkins, and OL Carpenter, whom didn't play in week 1. If they don't play, Trinity wins by a couple scores. 

Canton McKinley (1-0) vs. Wayne Hills NJ - Mckinley 35 Wayne Hills 21 

McKinley has been getting some attention this season. They played basically even with Iggy and Ed's in scrimmages. How much that means...I don't know. They got a solid win vs Warren Harding last week 26-7. 

I know very little about Wayne Hills. I believe they won a state title last year and have a good history

McKinley is still a wait and see this season. I doubt Wayne Hills would be able to hang with an Iggy or Eds. If McKinley is the real deal, they should take this one.

Pickerington Central (1-0) vs. Indianapolis Cathedral IN (0-2) Pick Central 42 Cathedral 24

Pickerington Central had a big win, knocking off Cass Tech MI 24-21. Pick Central got off to a good start, going up 14-0, but Cass Tech came back and took the lead. Cass tech looked to have the game wrapped up, but a devastating fumble and penatlies enabled Pick Central to get the win.

Cathedral lost another close game to Detroit King MI 38-35. Cathedral with an 0-2 start after losing to St. X KY last week will be looking to get a win.

I think Pickerington Central is the real deal this year. They've always done well OOS, but have sometimes been guilty of dropping a game they had no business losing. This is a game Pick Central must win to prove they are legit.

Wayne (0-1) @ Olentangy Liberty (1-0) Wayne 17 OLiberty 14

Wayne was destroyed and demoralized by a very good Pine-Richland team last week, losing 41-0. Wayne could not stop Jurkovec, and Wayne's OLine really struggled. 

Olentangy Liberty is coming off a very good season last year that saw them make it to the semifinals undefeated before losing by a score to Iggy. They lost their star player, but they should still have some solid pieces. They beat a Canadian team last week 49-14. 

Wayne still has some good talent....but it seems the lack of big time transfers 
has brought Wayne down from their teams of the past couple of years. This is a big game that Wayne will really need after that beatdown. I think Wayne rebounds.

Whitmer (1-0) @ Novi Catholic Central MI (1-0) - Whitmer 27 Novi CC 21

Whitmer beat a usually decent GlenOak team 38-24 last week. I've heard talk that Whitmer may be the team to come out of the crappy Region 2. 

Novi CC had a great season last year before their QB went down. They won their game last week 36-0.

This should be a good game. 

• Like 3

Excellent write up, especially Colerain vs StX.

First two other games:

*  Cathedral game with Pick Central will be closer than most think.  Irish could have won both of those games.

*  Not sure Big Moe can slow down the 'Rocks at all.   35-17 pick is probably pretty close.

As for Colerain - StX.   Your analysis was dead on.  You can go back and forth with both teams, and the end result is: not much difference between the two.  Both teams know each other very well, coaches are good friends, lots of respect on both sides etc.  

StX plays that 3-3-5 defense... 5 of 6 front 6 are back;  lost all 5 secondary starters.  I would look for Colerain to throw the ball and test that secondary early.  The D played well against Hinsdale, but difficult to measure because Hinsdale had no scrimmages against anyone other than themselves.  For X to beat Colerain, they will have to slow-down the option (cannot totally shut down), and X must have the offensive line protect Chase Wolf.  X did show a good running game with Fox and Payne, but the Hinsdale D is not the Colerain D.

Would not surprise me if this game was not another OT affair.  I give slight edge to the Bombers (as a fan).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

St. X beat Hinsdale Central IL last week. After falling behind 7-0 almost immediately, St. X rallied to win 43-14. Not sure how much to take from this game.

Colerain was in a defensive slugfest with La Salle. After losing their starting QB Leyendecker to injury in the 2nd half, the offense was shuffled around a bit and began to move the ball with DSM2 in at QB. After a couple turnovers, a dropped TD pass, and a no-call pass interference, Colerain managed 3 pts, but ultimately lost 7-3. Both defenses looked fantastic, and both offenses need some work.

Colerain vs. X is here again. A local Neighborhood rivalry that has become one of the best in the country. 3 of the last 4 matchups have gone to OT.Since 2005 they have played each other every single year for a total of 18 times. Since 2000, St. X leads the rivalry 10-9. St. X's miraculous 2016 playoff run began against an undefeated Colerain team whom was beating X late in the 3rd qtr 23-7, when a blocked punt TD recovery suddenly gave X new life. It was a game that Colerain had no business losing, and probably cost them a state title....and that will certainly weigh heavy on Colerain's mind as they look to avenge that loss. It's no secret that St. X has been the best team at stopping the Colerain option run game. It's also no secret that Colerain has had alot of recent success against St. X due to mixing in a spread option and passing game.....I think this is why Bolden has stuck with Leyendecker at QB for so long, but I think Colerain needs to move on from Leyendecker at QB and let DSM2 take the reins. With the way the Colerain option looked against La Salle, I don't see Colerain scoring much against St. X's D. On the other hand, Colerain's D saw X QB WOlf + WR corp 2x's last year, and did an amazing shutting them down. Most all of X's offensive success came from a mobile QB (Sean Clifford) scrambling. Wolf is more of pocket passer and not as mobile, and Colerain's D front is very good again, so it should be an interesting matchup. 

The last factor that could play a big role in this game......The game is at "The Cage." Statistically, Colerain has to have one of, if not thee, biggest home field advantages in HSFB. Since 1999 Colerain is 86-2 at home, including 11-1 against the GCL. Their 2 losses were in 2011 to St. X(17-14) and in 2014 to Trinity KY(35-26). Colerain has won the last 3 at home vs X. As an analyst, I would pick St. X. As a fan, I pick Colerain.

God bless your heart Coletrain06...truly.  I think you are counting on the ghosts of the past to help this team.  The only reason Tyler Williams will be at Colerain on Saturday is to wear St. Xavier Blue and coach the RB's for the Bombers.  The below, by the way, is the most unholy thing I have EVER seen...

14_-Tyler_Williams_-_Running_Backs.JPG

As for the game itself, it will take a monumental week of practice and offensive game-planning to pull out a W in this game.  This offense has been broken since Deshaunte Jones walked out the door 2 years ago.  Poor DSM2.0 has been jerked around in multiple positions and now he is most likely going to be asked to beat the defending D1 State Champs with 5 of their front 6 returning from last year.

I fully expect a Bomber win on Friday night.  I want nothing more than to be 100% wrong.

-93CardinalsFan

8 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Iggy got a very nice win beating Hoban 17-3 last week. Both team's defenses shined, while the offenses were a little shaky. 

This is a very hard game to predict. Massillon sucks this year, so it's hard to tell how good Mentor may be. Tatarunas is back at QB, and Mentor's potent offense could be back. Mentor's problem has always been Defense. Iggy struggled a bit on offense, so this could make for a good matchup. We'll see if Mentor is back to contender status.

Moeller destroyed Hamilton last week 42-7. I was disappointed it was so lopsided because I thought Hamilton was turning a corner. Not much to take from this game.

Trinity had a huge win over Warren Central 42-41. It's the 2nd Indiana power they've knocked off in as many weeks. Trinity had a lot of succes running the ball, especially with Mcguire whom accounted for 5 TD's. Warren Central was able to answer Trinity's scores, but fell short when they attempted a go-ahead 2 pt. conversion, that was jut short of the goal line.

I'm glad Trinity is playing Moeller again. Moeller always plays Trinity tough. Moeller has a very nice mobile QB McBride. He should give trinity some trouble. Moe also has good size, per usual. I think Trinity's D front could be the difference. Not sure how good of a passer McBride is. Also a big factor in this is the possible injuries of Moe's 2 best players, LB Hawkins, and OL Carpenter, whom didn't play in week 1. If they don't play, Trinity wins by a couple scores. 

McKinley has been getting some attention this season. They played basically even with Iggy and Ed's in scrimmages. How much that means...I don't know. They got a solid win vs Warren Harding last week 26-7. 

I know very little about Wayne Hills. I believe they won a state title last year and have a good history

McKinley is still a wait and see this season. I doubt Wayne Hills would be able to hang with an Iggy or Eds. If McKinley is the real deal, they should take this one.

Pickerington Central (1-0) vs. Indianapolis Cathedral IN (0-2) Pick Central 42 Cathedral 14

Pickerington Central had a big win, knocking off Cass Tech MI 24-21. Pick Central got off to a good start, going up 14-0, but Cass Tech came back and took the lead. Cass tech looked to have the game wrapped up, but a devastating fumble and penatlies enabled Pick Central to get the win.

Cathedral lost another close game to Detroit King MI 38-35. Cathedral with an 0-2 start after losing to St. X KY last week will be looking to get a win.

I think Pickerington Central is the real deal this year. They've always done well OOS, but have sometimes been guilty of dropping a game they had no business losing. This is a game Pick Central must win to prove they are legit.

Wayne was destroyed and demoralized by a very good Pine-Richland team last week, losing 41-0. Wayne could not stop Jurkovec, and Wayne's OLine really struggled. 

Olentangy Liberty is coming off a very good season last year that saw them make it to the semifinals undefeated before losing by a score to Iggy. They lost their star player, but they should still have some solid pieces. They beat a Canadian team last week 49-14. 

has brought Wayne down from their teams of the past couple of years. This is a big game that Wayne will really need after that beatdown. I think Wayne rebounds.

Whitmer beat a usually decent GlenOak team 38-24 last week. I've heard talk that Whitmer may be the team to come out of the crappy Region 2. 

Novi CC had a great season last year before their QB went down. They won their game last week 36-0.

Great stuff train.  Cathedral and Pickerington Central is going to be tight.  Cathedral's line is good and their back who is heading to ND:D is a hoss.  Their qb's are also pretty good and mobile with 1 really good weapon out wide.  I've always been down on Michigan football as a whole, but Detroit MLK is serious.  Class Tech was good as well but I would put MLK in the top 50 of this country.

I will take Liberty over Wayne.  Olentangy has been pumping out great athletes and I have see if Wayne ready to rebound from that whipping they took.

3 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

God bless your heart Coletrain06...truly.  I think you are counting on the ghosts of the past to help this team.  The only reason Tyler Williams will be at Colerain on Saturday is to wear St. Xavier Blue and coach the RB's for the Bombers.  The below, by the way, is the most unholy thing I have EVER seen...

14_-Tyler_Williams_-_Running_Backs.JPG

Good to see a young man moving up in the world and finding Jesus.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

You know, for a guy coming off a State Title, you'd think conch would be a little less angry, wouldn't you?  9_9

I love this rivalry, I really do.  It's a shame it's never played on a level playing field in terms of number of athletes, coaches, facilities, etc.  But it is always fun nonetheless.

-93CardinalsFan

True.

You do have the advantage in scholie players. Numbers don't lie.

27 minutes ago, concha said:

It's tradition. How many years now?

More than I wish to count! :D

You're Bombers shocked the D1 world last year didn't they?  Seems they have returned to their rightful place with a target squarely on their collective backs.  

I just hope my Cards can keep it close on Friday.  Losing the home winning streak is one thing.  Getting blown out is another entirely!

-93CardinalsFan

18 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Pickerington Central (1-0) vs. Indianapolis Cathedral IN (0-2) Pick Central 42 Cathedral 14

Does ANYBODY CARE about Midwest high school football? HELL, Meyer and Harbaugh have bought houses in Georgia and FLAAAAAAWDA, so they can be near their recruits!

1 hour ago, ORabidOne said:

Does ANYBODY CARE about Midwest high school football? HELL, Meyer and Harbaugh have bought houses in Georgia and FLAAAAAAWDA, so they can be near their recruits!

Don't need any cockroaches in the Ohio thread

you are not welcome 

Scram before we squash you ! 😆