Calling it now -- Centennial AZ beats STA

ECHS05

7 hours ago, aZjimbo said:

And I see a team that can be dangerous in a one game playoff. Like I said I still see Chandler the team to beat. Bottom line Pinnacle had a chance to beat both teams and did not. 2013 and 14 have zero to do with 2017.

In 2013 and 2014 Pinnacle was coached by Dana Zupke.  In 2017 they are still coached by Dana Zupke.  

In 2013 and 2014 Pinnacle was led by a highly-regarded D-1 prospect at quarterback (Brian Lewerke).  In 2017 they are led by a highly-regarded D-1 prospect at quarterback (Spencer Rattler).  

In 2013 and 2014 Pinnacle showed great potential to be a postseason threat, losing tight early season games to Hamilton.  In 2017 Pinnacle showed great potential to be a postseason threat, losing tight early season games to Chandler and Centennial.

Even after the close losses to Hamilton Pinnacle was criticized for not placing an emphasis on defense in 2013 and 2014.  Even after the close losses to Chandler and Centennial Pinnacle has been criticized for not placing an emphasis on defense in 2017.  

Do you see a pattern in all of this?  And all things considered those Pinnacle squads were likely better than the current edition-in 2013 the Pioneers had a legit inside running option in Josh Hoekstra (3300-yards rushing for his career at Pinnacle) and Cole Neubauer was an all-state defensive end, while the 2014 team had a legit D-1 prospect (and eventual D-1 sprinter) transfer in from Thunderbird at receiver (Adam Turner) and a physical presence on defense in Dru Dixon (now at Baylor).  

I guarantee the first time Pinnacle lines up against Chandler or Mountain Pointe in the playoffs that will be the end of their season (Perry is a different story as the Pumas play the same brand of football as Pinnacle).  Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

49 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

In 2013 and 2014 Pinnacle was coached by Dana Zupke.  In 2017 they are still coached by Dana Zupke.  

In 2013 and 2014 Pinnacle was led by a highly-regarded D-1 prospect at quarterback (Brian Lewerke).  In 2017 they are led by a highly-regarded D-1 prospect at quarterback (Spencer Rattler).  

In 2013 and 2014 Pinnacle showed great potential to be a postseason threat, losing tight early season games to Hamilton.  In 2017 Pinnacle showed great potential to be a postseason threat, losing tight early season games to Chandler and Centennial.

Even after the close losses to Hamilton Pinnacle was criticized for not placing an emphasis on defense in 2013 and 2014.  Even after the close losses to Chandler and Centennial Pinnacle has been criticized for not placing an emphasis on defense in 2017.  

Do you see a pattern in all of this?  And all things considered those Pinnacle squads were likely better than the current edition-in 2013 the Pioneers had a legit inside running option in Josh Hoekstra (3300-yards rushing for his career at Pinnacle) and Cole Neubauer was an all-state defensive end, while the 2014 team had a legit D-1 prospect (and eventual D-1 sprinter) transfer in from Thunderbird at receiver (Adam Turner) and a physical presence on defense in Dru Dixon (now at Baylor).  

I guarantee the first time Pinnacle lines up against Chandler or Mountain Pointe in the playoffs that will be the end of their season (Perry is a different story as the Pumas play the same brand of football as Pinnacle).  Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

You gonna be at this game? I fly into Phoenix tonight and always try to catch a Centennial game when I am there.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I don't live in the past.  Different teams. Different matchups. I think if Pinnacle can get by the early round of playoffs I still say in a 1 game playoff they can be dangerous. All depends on who plays who. And like I've stated numerous times Chandler and MP are still the best teams.

17 hours ago, aZjimbo said:

WF is 4-2 and ranked #10 in 5A as per azcentral.com. 

Thx.  I had to go back to 2011 to see a weak season but man this is quite a season difference.    

2016 Williams Field (Gilbert, AZ)   team preview   trend Arizona 5A San Tan 5A 14-0 4-0 (1st) 14-0 57.9 30.4 89-68
WINS: #184 Centennial (Peoria, AZ) (14-6), #602 Queen Creek (AZ) (16-9), #602 Queen Creek (AZ) (37-12), #1296 Mesquite (Gilbert, AZ) (31-20), #1450 Marana (Tucson, AZ) (41-14), #2303 Verrado (Buckeye, AZ) (45-15), #2303 Chaparral (Scottsdale, AZ) (37-14), #2303 Chaparral (Scottsdale, AZ) (40-21), #2383 Deer Valley (Glendale, AZ) (21-0), #2491 Campo Verde (Gilbert, AZ) (43-14), #6429 Arcadia (Phoenix, AZ) (56-15), #6668 Vista Grande (Casa Grande, AZ) (55-0), #6695 Poston Butte (San Tan Valley, AZ) (42-0), #7450 Ironwood (Glendale, AZ) (52-13), LOSSES: none
2017 Williams Field (Gilbert, AZ)   team preview   trend Arizona 5A San Tan 5A 4-2 1-0 (1st) 4-2 11 9.6 15-17
WINS: #2967 Campo Verde (Gilbert, AZ) (28-27), #4933 Deer Valley (Glendale, AZ) (13-0), #9273 Ironwood (Glendale, AZ) (42-6), #10385 Arcadia (Phoenix, AZ) (68-0), LOSSES: #2593 Chaparral (Scottsdale, AZ) (33-7), #4196 Verrado (Buckeye, AZ) (19-9)

CP had them rated #103 nationally preseason, so seemed they had some talent returning...  weird.   Looks like they lost some quality seniors though but man what a drop.     

13 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Centennial didn't "struggle" with Pinnacle-they ran for 400 yards when everyone and their brother knew they were going to keep the ball on the ground, got out to a bigger lead at halftime than Chandler and Mountain Pointe were able to, held Pinnacle's acclaimed junior quarterback to under 200 yards passing (just the third time that's happened since the start of last season), and trailed for all of one offensive play of the game.  It certainly wasn't a pretty, polished game but that's the beauty of Centennial football-there's not a team in this nation that doesn't look great (relatively speaking) when they are at their best, but it's how you respond when your D-1 corner decides to get two 15-yarders on the same play or when you're burned three times on faked quick-kicks or when you give up a kick return to your five right after you re-take the lead that will define the type of season you have. A lot of teams have "forced" Centennial into playing an ugly game or two over the years-more often than not the Coyotes prevailed in those games.  Nobody in Arizona plays ugly as well as Centennial does.

And from what I've seen of Aquinas a lot of the same can be said for them-against elite (or near-elite) competition they haven't overwhelmed me with a dazzling offense or super-crisp execution.  They recognize that 1) they have more talent than 99% of the teams that line up in front of them (same has been true for Centennial since 2003 on a more localized level); and 2) they let an absolutely studly defense do the heavy-lifting while the offense picks its spots.  As a Centennial fan that's probably what scares me the most about this game-they do "us" better than we do "us".    

Struggle as in last second game winning FG.   I was obviously hoping for a wider differential and a clear AZ #1 status heading into Friday night's tilt.   

STA's O  is still a work in progress.  That's the good news for Cen10... the bad news is the D is healthy and knows the O is still a work in progress.   Won't be any stratomatic dice rolls... this one will be played.  

Lol on the boldfaced mention.   Ditto... Nothing surprises me with STA either (BTW 2016 finish for example).  The ultimate clusterfuck 2011 Cooper City (3 TD's allowed with the lone scoring drive being 2 yards if that).     

5 hours ago, aZjimbo said:

I don't live in the past.  Different teams. Different matchups. I think if Pinnacle can get by the early round of playoffs I still say in a 1 game playoff they can be dangerous. All depends on who plays who. And like I've stated numerous times Chandler and MP are still the best teams.

Nobody is living in the past, I am looking at a trend that has existed with Pinnacle for years and drawing a connection to their current team. The reality is they have continued to do what they've always done expecting a different result.

And unless you have a legit shot at Chandler or Mountain Pointe  (and they don't) you're not talking about a dangerous team. You're talking about a team lumped in with 10-15 other good teams that are not legitimate shots for a title.

4 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

STA game #2 for you :).   Safe travels and enjoy.   Jimbo you going or did you order the beer/TV package? 

Not sure if I can make it. Might be a last minute decision. I'm hearing Centennial's entire school is pumped up for this game as well they should be. Great chance for them.

40 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Nobody is living in the past, I am looking at a trend that has existed with Pinnacle for years and drawing a connection to their current team. The reality is they have continued to do what they've always done expecting a different result.

And unless you have a legit shot at Chandler or Mountain Pointe  (and they don't) you're not talking about a dangerous team. You're talking about a team lumped in with 10-15 other good teams that are not legitimate shots for a title.

I'm saying if the bracket works out for them they have a chance to go deep. Bottom line is somewhere they are probably going to have to beat chandler or MP which I do not see happening. I think I have stated that more than once.

4 hours ago, aZjimbo said:

I'm saying if the bracket works out for them they have a chance to go deep. Bottom line is somewhere they are probably going to have to beat chandler or MP which I do not see happening. I think I have stated that more than once.

...which can be said for:

-four of the five teams in the Central Region not named Mountain Pointe.
-two other teams in Pinnacle's own region (Horizon and Desert Mountain).
-quite possibly the entire East Valley Region.
-Hamilton (joining Chandler and Perry in the Premier Region)

"If the bracket works out" is a pretty low bar to set.