Calling it now -- Centennial AZ beats STA

ECHS05

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

STA will NOT, under any circumstance, score 35 points. 

That is the mother of all guarantees. I rest my credibility on this statement -- STA will not score 35 points or more against Centennial.

I guess we'll see then huh.   You watched STA vs SJB first game of the year in a monsoon and figure you know everything about them?

2 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

STA will NOT, under any circumstance, score 35 points. 

That is the mother of all guarantees. I rest my credibility on this statement -- STA will not score 35 points or more against Centennial.

That means they most certainly will score 35+ points. These types of statements always backfire on you. Lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Yes, excellent job shutting out Stranahan & Piper (who the...?). 

STAs D is good, no argument here. Centennials is also good, and STAs O is below average for an elite team. 

Centennial wins, 13-10... in the upset of the year.

That would be a huge upset. And the biggest OOS win in AZ history. But it's not going to happen. 

17 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

(who the...?). 

What you probably questioned when STA's schedule went out... who the ? is Peoria Centennial?   :)  

Thanks to a Wooderson 2016 lecture and a Saguaro bandwagon 2016 run, I am well acquainted with Williams Field too.  Lol.  All good.  Learning state history and powers and rivals is very cool. 

Honestly who heard of Saguaro until last year?   

https://www.yurview.com/shows/gametime/centennial-vs-st-thomas-aquinas/

5 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

What you probably questioned when STA's schedule went out... who the ? is Peoria Centennial?   :)  

Thanks to a Wooderson 2016 lecture and a Saguaro bandwagon 2016 run, I am well acquainted with Williams Field too.  Lol.  All good.  Learning state history and powers and rivals is very cool. 

Honestly who heard of Saguaro until last year?   

https://www.yurview.com/shows/gametime/centennial-vs-st-thomas-aquinas/

Id heard of Saguaro 3-4 years ago. And Christian Kirk was a big name there.

I also knew Centennial bc I knew theyd won a few of the 2nd-largest class state titles in AZ. 

And because Ive been to Peoria AZ (for about 6 months) and have seen Centennial HS. 

I also remember LBP beating Centennial AZ a few years back OOS.

Centennial has a good D and is senior laden. They have as good a chance to beat STA as any team in AZ.

9 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

I also knew Centennial bc I knew theyd won a few of the 2nd-largest class state titles in AZ. 

And because Ive been to Peoria AZ (for about 6 months) and have seen Centennial HS. 

Centennial has a good D and is senior laden. They have as good a chance to beat STA as any team in AZ.

Saying that is one thing....but...I guess we'll see.

25 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

A heathy Chandler imo would pose a greater risk to STA and challenge their D at least.   Mountain Pointe I would also place above Cen10 in AZ.   Cen10 struggling w Pinnacle is not a good sign.   I was bummed with that result.  Mountain Pointe spanked Pinnacle.   Zidane Thomas looks the part, but would be surprised if they can move the chains effectively on the ground.  That 35 pt threshold mark for STA pts is going to have a test.  

46 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

A heathy Chandler imo would pose a greater risk to STA and challenge their D at least.   Mountain Pointe I would also place above Cen10 in AZ.   Cen10 struggling w Pinnacle is not a good sign.   I was bummed with that result.  Mountain Pointe spanked Pinnacle.   Zidane Thomas looks the part, but would be surprised if they can move the chains effectively on the ground.  That 35 pt threshold mark for STA pts is going to have a test.  

Yeah I'd agree with that, but again I haven't been able to watch Centennial play.   

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Centennial didn't "struggle" with Pinnacle-they ran for 400 yards when everyone and their brother knew they were going to keep the ball on the ground, got out to a bigger lead at halftime than Chandler and Mountain Pointe were able to, held Pinnacle's acclaimed junior quarterback to under 200 yards passing (just the third time that's happened since the start of last season), and trailed for all of one offensive play of the game.  It certainly wasn't a pretty, polished game but that's the beauty of Centennial football-there's not a team in this nation that doesn't look great (relatively speaking) when they are at their best, but it's how you respond when your D-1 corner decides to get two 15-yarders on the same play or when you're burned three times on faked quick-kicks or when you give up a kick return to your five right after you re-take the lead that will define the type of season you have. A lot of teams have "forced" Centennial into playing an ugly game or two over the years-more often than not the Coyotes prevailed in those games.  Nobody in Arizona plays ugly as well as Centennial does.

And from what I've seen of Aquinas a lot of the same can be said for them-against elite (or near-elite) competition they haven't overwhelmed me with a dazzling offense or super-crisp execution.  They recognize that 1) they have more talent than 99% of the teams that line up in front of them (same has been true for Centennial since 2003 on a more localized level); and 2) they let an absolutely studly defense do the heavy-lifting while the offense picks its spots.  As a Centennial fan that's probably what scares me the most about this game-they do "us" better than we do "us".    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Centennial didn't "struggle" with Pinnacle-they ran for 400 yards when everyone and their brother knew they were going to keep the ball on the ground, got out to a bigger lead at halftime than Chandler and Mountain Pointe were able to, held Pinnacle's acclaimed junior quarterback to under 200 yards passing (just the third time that's happened since the start of last season), and trailed for all of one offensive play of the game.  It certainly wasn't a pretty, polished game but that's the beauty of Centennial football-there's not a team in this nation that doesn't look great (relatively speaking) when they are at their best, but it's how you respond when your D-1 corner decides to get two 15-yarders on the same play or when you're burned three times on faked quick-kicks or when you give up a kick return to your five right after you re-take the lead that will define the type of season you have. A lot of teams have "forced" Centennial into playing an ugly game or two over the years-more often than not the Coyotes prevailed in those games.  Nobody in Arizona plays ugly as well as Centennial does.

And from what I've seen of Aquinas a lot of the same can be said for them-against elite (or near-elite) competition they haven't overwhelmed me with a dazzling offense or super-crisp execution.  They recognize that 1) they have more talent than 99% of the teams that line up in front of them (same has been true for Centennial since 2003 on a more localized level); and 2) they let an absolutely studly defense do the heavy-lifting while the offense picks its spots.  As a Centennial fan that's probably what scares me the most about this game-they do "us" better than we do "us".    

Do not be scared my friend. 

Your Centennial Coyotes of Peoria, Arizona... will be victorious come game day. 

5 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

If Pinnacle had half a defense they might be #1 in Az. or pretty close. A big if though.

Their offense isn't anything remarkable IMO.  Rattler is a stud athlete but a me-first guy, his two best options on offense are the twins that provide zero vertical threat whatsoever, and the run game lacks any sort of authority (or it does until their coaching staff realizes that Covington has no business getting carries over Juntunen).  Man-for-man compared to Chandler, Mountain Pointe, Centennial, and Perry they are at best better at two positions on offense (quarterback and receiver). 

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Their offense isn't anything remarkable IMO.  Rattler is a stud athlete but a me-first guy, his two best options on offense are the twins that provide zero vertical threat whatsoever, and the run game lacks any sort of authority (or it does until their coaching staff realizes that Covington has no business getting carries over Juntunen).  Man-for-man compared to Chandler, Mountain Pointe, Centennial, and Perry they are at best better at two positions on offense (quarterback and receiver). 

They could have easily won Chandler game and Centennial despite stats, talent etc. I still say Chandler is best team in Az. Pinnacle never seems to commit to the run from what I have seen. I still think they can be dangerous in a one game playoff.

1 hour ago, aZjimbo said:

They could have easily won Chandler game and Centennial despite stats, talent etc. I still say Chandler is best team in Az. Pinnacle never seems to commit to the run from what I have seen. I still think they can be dangerous in a one game playoff.

They played a Chandler team that didn't have their starting quarterback and saw five starters go down throughout the game-and still couldn't finish the deal.  Likewise, the best they could get out of a massive third quarter meltdown by Centennial was trailing by a field goal going into the fourth.  Whereas you see a team that "could have easily won" those games I see a team that engaged their gag reflex in the same exact way they did against Hamilton in 2013 and 2014.  The program is not now (and has never been) cut-out for prime-time.

14 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

They played a Chandler team that didn't have their starting quarterback and saw five starters go down throughout the game-and still couldn't finish the deal.  Likewise, the best they could get out of a massive third quarter meltdown by Centennial was trailing by a field goal going into the fourth.  Whereas you see a team that "could have easily won" those games I see a team that engaged their gag reflex in the same exact way they did against Hamilton in 2013 and 2014.  The program is not now (and has never been) cut-out for prime-time.

And I see a team that can be dangerous in a one game playoff. Like I said I still see Chandler the team to beat. Bottom line Pinnacle had a chance to beat both teams and did not. 2013 and 14 have zero to do with 2017.