Arizona scores

Wooderson

16 hours ago, Cossacks said:

I actually think this might come down to who has the better line play. I have always liked Logans offense. Liberty’s is very deep at the skill positions. I’m actually curious if either can establish a run game.

I would say Cen10 line play is pretty solid considering they are averaging nearly 300 rushing ypg. Based of Liberty's schedule they haven't seen anyone like Cen10 before. This will be a good matchup. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Attended my first in-person game of any great consequence this season, as my Coyotes of Peoria Centennial took down Saguaro 31-17. Centennial took advantage of injuries to Saguaro's quarterbacks room (starter sat out with an ankle injury and the backup was knocked out of the game on the second series) to jump to a 24-10 halftime lead. A 95-yard pick-6 pulled Saguaro to 24-17 from the middle of the third quarter on but they'd never get closer. Centennial would ice the game with a 50-yard score off a jet sweep with a little over three minutes left to provide the final margin.

Centennial continues to be rather uneven offensively (had two first-and-goal scenarios that resulted in a combined negative-four points; a field goal and the aforementioned Saguaro pick-6) while Saguaro managed to hang around in a game they had no business doing so in. Their Georgia Tech-bound running back had more than a few nice runs even with the whole stadium knowing he was getting the ball.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Attended my first in-person game of any great consequence this season, as my Coyotes of Peoria Centennial took down Saguaro 31-17. Centennial took advantage of injuries to Saguaro's quarterbacks room (starter sat out with an ankle injury and the backup was knocked out of the game on the second series) to jump to a 24-10 halftime lead. A 95-yard pick-6 pulled Saguaro to 24-17 from the middle of the third quarter on but they'd never get closer. Centennial would ice the game with a 50-yard score off a jet sweep with a little over three minutes left to provide the final margin.

Centennial continues to be rather uneven offensively (had two first-and-goal scenarios that resulted in a combined negative-four points; a field goal and the aforementioned Saguaro pick-6) while Saguaro managed to hang around in a game they had no business doing so in. Their Georgia Tech-bound running back had more than a few nice runs even with the whole stadium knowing he was getting the ball.

Speaking of RB, wondering how the RB did who moved from FL and ran the rock for your school, incl the win over STA.  He was a well built kid, but not elite jets from what I remember.  It’s been awhile.  :)   

9 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Speaking of RB, wondering how the RB did who moved from FL and ran the rock for your school, incl the win over STA.  He was a well built kid, but not elite jets from what I remember.  It’s been awhile.  :)   

Zidane originally committed to Boise State, started getting second thoughts about playing in the cold weather and eventually committed to San Diego State (not for nothing I always thought Iowa State was the best spot for him; he'd have been in the same class with Purdy). Did next to nothing there in two seasons before going juco at Iowa Western but never played, then had some flashes at Allen Hancock College in California (another juco) but to my knowledge is done with football.

He always struck me as a different kind of cat (the game before we played Aquinas he gave a quote to the local paper that he "felt like a broken vase that had been glued back together" - not something you hear high school kids put out there) and what I've heard from guys that were on staff then is it was a challenge to get him to lock-in and not just be content with being on a team with his guys. Not a lazy kid but also not a kid that burned to be the best.

Long story short I get the impression he enjoyed being part of a team more than being The Man (disclaimer - I don't know the kid so I very well might be talking out of my rear here).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Liberty play last night where their star QB threw three picks and they still managed to knock Salpointe from the unbeaten ranks with a 49-0 win. Salpointe's clearly a paper tiger thus I didn't learn anything about Liberty that I didn't already know but Salpointe was one of the last two unbeaten teams in 6A and have a five-star defensive end prospect so in that sense it's notable.

Man-for-man they're probably the best team in the state but I think Centennial has a pretty decisive edge as it relates to top-tier playmakers (top-100 DE/TE headed to UW and DB/WR headed to Wazzu). Key when these teams play in three weeks will be if Liberty can negate those playmakers while not becoming vulnerable in other spots.

23 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Saw Liberty play last night where their star QB threw three picks and they still managed to knock Salpointe from the unbeaten ranks with a 49-0 win. Salpointe's clearly a paper tiger thus I didn't learn anything about Liberty that I didn't already know but Salpointe was one of the last two unbeaten teams in 6A and have a five-star defensive end prospect so in that sense it's notable.

Man-for-man they're probably the best team in the state but I think Centennial has a pretty decisive edge as it relates to top-tier playmakers (top-100 DE/TE headed to UW and DB/WR headed to Wazzu). Key when these teams play in three weeks will be if Liberty can negate those playmakers while not becoming vulnerable in other spots.

I like Centennial against Liberty if things stay the same(injuries etc.)

Open this year should be pretty wide open, some really good teams, not elite teams. Hell if ALA QC wins it all I would not be shocked. This year they might just have the depth and line play to play with the Chandlers and Basha’s etc?

5 hours ago, Wooderson said:

From a travel perspective, what’s the greatest distance between any of the top 8 teams?  Seems like you don’t have to travel that far to catch a good game if your team is playing a dog. 

21 hours ago, On2whls said:

From a travel perspective, what’s the greatest distance between any of the top 8 teams?  Seems like you don’t have to travel that far to catch a good game if your team is playing a dog. 

Where I live ppersonally isn't much of a hotbed (though one of the small charter schools near me has a QB that's led the nation in passing TDs at some point this season) but I'm within 20 minutes of Centennial, Liberty, and Desert Edge who are all currently top five teams in the state. Southeast Valley is where it's really tightly packed, with Chandler, Basha and Hamilton all being part of the same school district and neighboring districts producing some perennially good teams. If traffic's agreeable I can get to that part of town within an hour.

This has helped facilitate the "all-star team" culture we have with the better programs as if you have the means to get to a Saguaro or a Chandler there's very little to discourage it. Saguaro's 2021 championship had kids that had started high school at Chandler, Liberty, Centennial, and Pinnacle and nobody believes that all of them (or even most of them) moved to Scottsdale to facilitate it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Where I live ppersonally isn't much of a hotbed (though one of the small charter schools near me has a QB that's led the nation in passing TDs at some point this season) but I'm within 20 minutes of Centennial, Liberty, and Desert Edge who are all currently top five teams in the state. Southeast Valley is where it's really tightly packed, with Chandler, Basha and Hamilton all being part of the same school district and neighboring districts producing some perennially good teams. If traffic's agreeable I can get to that part of town within an hour.

This has helped facilitate the "all-star team" culture we have with the better programs as if you have the means to get to a Saguaro or a Chandler there's very little to discourage it. Saguaro's 2021 championship had kids that had started high school at Chandler, Liberty, Centennial, and Pinnacle and nobody believes that all of them (or even most of them) moved to Scottsdale to facilitate it.

So kinda a Duncanville/Desoto scenario in a sense.

Good deal of weeping and gnashing of teeth over current Open rankings, specifically with 4A Canyon del Oro being included and at #3 ,no less.

In all honesty ALA-Queen Creek isn't a terrible matchup for CdO. I'd tell Centennial to just take a dive against Liberty if it meant they'd get a first round matchup against Desert Mountain instead of a rematch with Desert Edge 🤣

https://x.com/jacob_seliga/status/1714326365053522376?s=20

11 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Basha holds on to beat Chandler 47-42. 

https://x.com/azc_obert/status/1715592654166335657?s=20

“Basha Basha Basha!” in Jan Brady’s voice.  😊 

The high scoring final reminded me of Jones game last night.  I think by the 3rd quarter, they moved indoors and chose 5 on 5.  😂  Jones 68 Wekiva 47

14 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

“Basha Basha Basha!” in Jan Brady’s voice.  😊 

The high scoring final reminded me of Jones game last night.  I think by the 3rd quarter, they moved indoors and chose 5 on 5.  😂  Jones 68 Wekiva 47

47-42 ballgames were Chandler's signature pre-Aguano. They'll always have athletes but that wasn't what made them great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

His offensive minded noggin was top notch.  One look at the game vs MNW years back, a good example.  I think Tutu Atwell was QB in that one?  He’s in the NFL now.  

It dawned on me earlier today that Chandler's DC moved over to Arizona College Prep this year (a 4A conference entry from the Chandler District). I checked in on how they've done and the defense does appear to be a strength (four opponents held to single digits - including Nevada's #2 3A team - and have allowed only two backs to run for 100+). Being entirely fair last year's unit wasn't bad until late in the year but it's something of note to be aware of since Chandler's given up 28+ past three games.

20231021_123922.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Game of the Year for the state is 36 hours away, where my undefeated Centennial Coyotes travel to north Peoria to play consensus state #1 Liberty. Stakes are not huge (winner is locked-in for the #1 seed in the eight-team Open bracket while loser looks well positioned to still host their round 1 game) but will serve as a big measuring stick going into the postseason.

As I alluded to previously Liberty is the consensus #1 in the state; I'd even go as far to say most parties have the Lions head and shoulders above the rest of the field while the rest are a tightly grouped pack. From what I've seen man for man they are the best "team" in the state but think their lack of top-end talent (D1 guys) and speed gives them an heir of vulnerability. On the other side Centennial appears to have guys that check those boxes (Noah Carter is a top 100 recruit headed to UW at d-end, while Wazzu-bound Kenny Worthy has proven to be a big playmaker on both sides of the ball). With that said, the Coyotes are young at quarterback and lack the bell cow running back that they've historically been known for.

Game will be a study in contrasts, as Liberty's MO is to overwhelm every opponent early with a goal of a running clock every week while Centennial will happily take care of the ball on offense (only seven turnovers on the year) and rest assured in the knowledge that their defense will do enough to give the offense a wide berth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Game of the Year for the state is 36 hours away, where my undefeated Centennial Coyotes travel to north Peoria to play consensus state #1 Liberty. Stakes are not huge (winner is locked-in for the #1 seed in the eight-team Open bracket while loser looks well positioned to still host their round 1 game) but will serve as a big measuring stick going into the postseason.

As I alluded to previously Liberty is the consensus #1 in the state; I'd even go as far to say most parties have the Lions head and shoulders above the rest of the field while the rest are a tightly grouped pack. From what I've seen man for man they are the best "team" in the state but think their lack of top-end talent (D1 guys) and speed gives them an heir of vulnerability. On the other side Centennial appears to have guys that check those boxes (Noah Carter is a top 100 recruit headed to UW at d-end, while Wazzu-bound Kenny Worthy has proven to be a big playmaker on both sides of the ball). With that said, the Coyotes are young at quarterback and lack the bell cow running back that they've historically been known for.

Game will be a study in contrasts, as Liberty's MO is to overwhelm every opponent early with a goal of a running clock every week while Centennial will happily take care of the ball on offense (only seven turnovers on the year) and rest assured in the knowledge that their defense will do enough to give the offense a wide berth.

Solid, as always.  Good luck!  💪 

• Like 1