What Has Happened With Tucker, GA football?

RedZone

51 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

The whole community suffers if the high school team is not good?

I get what he's trying to say and I'd say he's about 80% correct... 

Alot of the schools in Dekalb (Save for 3-4) are shrinking at an extremely rapid pace... 

Tucker and Stephenson for example have always been in the largest class historically 6A and 7A. 

Now both schools are 4A... 

Redan (Stone Mountain,GA)  used to be 6A  as well... 

Now they're 2A... dropped to fucking 2A in only 3 years... that is startling... 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ga96 said:

The opening and rise of others schools has also effected them. Same happened to southwest dekalb. 

Sad part is other areas can do without winning sports but places like those the community takes a big hit.

No new schools in their area.  I think but am not positive, players can move between DeKalb schools pretty easily from year to year.  Two good coaches left for greener pa$ture$.  DeKalb sports money is spread between all schools no matter which school raises it.  That makes is hard for a program to fund raise to improve their facilities.  One team can have big gates but they don't get to keep it all.  Plus the salaries are not great.

15 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I get what he's trying to say and I'd say he's about 80% correct... 

Alot of the schools in Dekalb (Save for 3-4) are shrinking at an extremely rapid pace... 

Tucker and Stephenson for example have always been in the largest class historically 6A and 7A. 

Now both schools are 4A... 

Redan (Stone Mountain,GA)  used to be 6A  as well... 

Now they're 2A... dropped to fucking 2A in only 3 years... that is startling... 

Was wondering… Ron Gartrell retired after the 2021 season (33 years at the helm). 

https://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school-sports-blog/stephenson-football-coach-gartrell-retires-won-243-games/OLJKGPS2BFD3FK46OWMXFR5O54/

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Was wondering… Ron Gartrell retired after the 2021 season (33 years at the helm). 

https://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school-sports-blog/stephenson-football-coach-gartrell-retires-won-243-games/OLJKGPS2BFD3FK46OWMXFR5O54/

Yea... 

Imo Stephenson is/was one of the best programs to never win a title... 

• Like 1

Read a solid article on him years back.  I hope the current HC and staff care as much about the kids as he did.  

The way they're leaving? 

Idk... 

@Fred has more insight into Dekalb than I do... 

@concha lives in Dekalb but Idk how much he keeps up with the local affairs.... 

His area is actually pretty straight moneywise... 

But I dont think football is a hot thing for them.... 

I'm in Henry County and the issues we got are a little different.... 

Read a solid article on him years back.  I hope the current HC and staff care as much about the kids as he did.  

For starters alot of these areas have too many schools.... (IMO) 

Tucker unfortunately was just one realignment away from whats happening now.... the demographics for Tucker dont exactly match the School... but I dont mean that in the way you might think.... the community of Tucker does not have alot of youth... 

Stephenson is in/around stone mountain and they have 3 HS's but all of them are shrinking... 

Stone Mountain HS has never been a major football power 

Redan HS used to be pretty respectable and I think they have 2 or 3 football state titles from the larger class years. 

Stephenson we've already broken down... 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1