Hurricane Nick what is going on with MD?

Frank screwed himself by going to the Diocese behind his administration's back and claiming that they were racist for not admitting some of the undesirables (freshmen and transfers) Pat Dubar '84 was trying to bring in.

Everyone knows that Pat is the "bag man" that recruits/buses all the ballers from outside of the immediate area. He and Frank thought they were above the administration and this was the end result. 

A message to all: The tail will never wag the dog at Mater Dei.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 1:06 PM, HurricaneNick said:

I gave the reasoning behind the firing. You really want it to be a bigger scandal and are now giving awards to someone falsely claiming a race issue. You’ve been a little gossip girl on here for years though. Nobody is surprised. I hope it doesn’t hurt your feelings when nothing comes of this and MD keeps on rolling. 

I’m not going to pile on any side of this story, but as an outsider with little to no info, I’ll say I don’t really have much of an idea of what’s going on. 

I see stuff like this a lot, and think it’s a case where a person knows all or a lot of the facts, and gives some hints and they make perfect sense, because they know the backstory.  The reader is at a disadvantage and may totally misread the tea leaves out out. 

Not necessarily a fault of the clue giver or reader. 

We also aren’t entitled together full story though. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

It’s almost like I came on here and said exactly this. 
I know, I know, I apologize to those for not getting the huge racial scandal you wanted! 

Me on Friday minutes after the firing - Being the HC at MD is like being a CEO. You can’t just get it done on the field. Things need to be done a certain way. (Check the posts)

Reporters after digging for an entire weekend - Mater Dei needs a CEO that gets the job done on and off the field! His way of doing things did not satisfy his superiors!

https://highschool.athlonsports.com/california/2024/04/15/column-mater-deis-dismissal-of-frank-mcmanus-shows-it-needs-ceo-not-just-a-coach 

• Thanks 1

Appreciate the link.  A few of the comments that stood out to me.  Just like you said, but a few m ore details to those not itk.

Despite going 13-1 en route to winning the CIF Southern Section Division 1 championship and a CIF State Open Division crown, McManus' quick dismissal reveals the Monarchs need more than a football coach.

Mater Dei needs a CEO. And CEOs don't wear backwards hats.

McManus may have possessed the 'rah-rah' energy and X's and O's, however, he lacked the finesse to manage a national program that's the front-facing entity of one of the most popular private catholic schools in the country, and the crown jewel of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange.

Bruce Rollinson, the previous Mater Dei coach of 34 seasons, wasn't perfect, but he was a CEO-type. Ask alumni, ask administrators, ask boosters and donors, ask local officials, ask opposing coaches. Rollinson knew how to smile, shake hands and politic.

Stories of McManus being resistant to the extracurricular activities that come with running the program came in droves all season long. Longtime donors and supporters have questioned their future involvement with Mater Dei football, and some have withdrawn in various aspects, from the public address announcer to sponsors for an annual golf event.

A jaded coaching staff and disciplinary issues on campus with players didn't help McManus, who was recently heard "swearing at eighth-grade level players on his team" at a 7-on-7 passing tournament at Beckman High, according to the OC Register.

The next Mater Dei coach must know - believe it or not - winning isn't everything, clearly.

High-level programs need CEO-type coaches that understand public appearances, fundraising events, and 'going along to get along' is what helps to feed the machine.

7 minutes ago, pied said:

Appreciate the link.  A few of the comments that stood out to me.  Just like you said, but a few m ore details to those not itk.

Despite going 13-1 en route to winning the CIF Southern Section Division 1 championship and a CIF State Open Division crown, McManus' quick dismissal reveals the Monarchs need more than a football coach.

McManus may have possessed the 'rah-rah' energy and X's and O's, however, he lacked the finesse to manage a national program that's the front-facing entity of one of the most popular private catholic schools in the country, and the crown jewel of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange.

Bruce Rollinson, the previous Mater Dei coach of 34 seasons, wasn't perfect, but he was a CEO-type. Ask alumni, ask administrators, ask boosters and donors, ask local officials, ask opposing coaches. Rollinson knew how to smile, shake hands and politic.

Stories of McManus being resistant to the extracurricular activities that come with running the program came in droves all season long. Longtime donors and supporters have questioned their future involvement with Mater Dei football, and some have withdrawn in various aspects, from the public address announcer to sponsors for an annual golf event.

A jaded coaching staff and disciplinary issues on campus with players didn't help McManus, who was recently heard "swearing at eighth-grade level players on his team" at a 7-on-7 passing tournament at Beckman High, according to the OC Register.

The next Mater Dei coach must know - believe it or not - winning isn't everything, clearly.

High-level programs need CEO-type coaches that understand public appearances, fundraising events, and 'going along to get along' is what helps to feed the machine.

I could really care less about the backwards hat and the cursing. We are getting soft as shit if those things are issues. I have issues with the other stuff and think it’s unfortunate that it couldn’t get resolved. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, pied said:

No "high school" has more internal drama than Mater Haze........and, when you separate the bullshit from reality that's all they are> a freaking high school! 😄😂😄

48 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

I could really care less about the backwards hat and the cursing. We are getting soft as shit if those things are issues. I have issues with the other stuff and think it’s unfortunate that it couldn’t get resolved. 

With this position you have to be a ppl person and at the same time a great coach and you have to balance both plus a family and it's a year round job not like a regular high school if you're not around a elite program you won't get it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Antt said:

With this position you have to be a ppl person and at the same time a great coach and you have to balance both plus a family and it's a year round job not like a regular high school if you're not around a elite program you won't get it

I agree. It is not regular local hsfb. There are expectations and demands that are just different.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pied said:

The quality of players Frank & Pat were bringing in got so bad that they had to hire a third-party security firm to patrol the weight room on a daily basis. This change was the right thing to do in order for Mater Dei to maintain it's stellar image and reputation.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Those things seem to be talked about when other things aren't going as well.  It seems on the field was pretty dang good and I could see, while certainly not nearly as important, that appearances might be important in some ways as well.

Most likely the only way this scenario can be seen as a positive for Mater Dei is if they can convince Matt Logan to come over. 

In my opinion, anything else would be seen as taking a second choice that was not selected last year when the head coach stepped down.

In a majority of scenarios the program will fall more and more  behind SJB as the next few years roll by.   A loss to Bishop Gorman will accelerate the likely decline

1 hour ago, Edison69 said:

The quality of players Frank & Pat were bringing in got so bad that they had to hire a third-party security firm to patrol the weight room on a daily basis. This change was the right thing to do in order for Mater Dei to maintain it's stellar image and reputation.

So weird that there was no security present during morning workouts in the weight room just a couple of weeks ago! It’s almost like anyone can get on the internet and write anything they want! lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, GeorgeW said:

Most likely the only way this scenario can be seen as a positive for Mater Dei is if they can convince Matt Logan to come over. 

In my opinion, anything else would be seen as taking a second choice that was not selected last year when the head coach stepped down.

In a majority of scenarios the program will fall more and more  behind SJB as the next few years roll by.   A loss to Bishop Gorman will accelerate the likely decline

The wrong choice for HC was clearly made last year or this situation would not exist. So no, Logan isn’t the only way this turns to be a positive. You know who stepped down as the HC a year before Frank was hired and the monarchs still went on to win it all? Lol. 

Why would a single loss to Gorman accelerate a “likely” decline? Mater Dei has beaten Gorman 3 times and BG is still fine Lol.  

2 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

The wrong choice for HC was clearly made last year or this situation would not exist. So no, Logan isn’t the only way this turns to be a positive. You know who stepped down as the HC a year before Frank was hired and the monarchs still went on to win it all? Lol. 

Why would a single loss to Gorman accelerate a “likely” decline? Mater Dei has beaten Gorman 3 times and BG is still fine Lol.  

A loss to Gorman would most likely affect recruiting as prospective 5 stars who are shopping schools will consider SJB as their first choice.    Almost every school has a lull after long tenured successfull coaches leave.  Mater Dei has now had 2 in 2 years.

10 minutes ago, GeorgeW said:

A loss to Gorman would most likely affect recruiting as prospective 5 stars who are shopping schools will consider SJB as their first choice.    Almost every school has a lull after long tenured successfull coaches leave.  Mater Dei has now had 2 in 2 years.

Could be. I also remember everyone on here saying the nail was in the coffin for MD football when they lost to bosco in the final, lost TK, and Rollo retired. Every kid was leaving and bosco was going to run laps around everyone else. The next season seemed to work out ok for Mater Dei. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Could be. I also remember everyone on here saying the nail was in the coffin for MD football when they lost to bosco in the final, lost TK, and Rollo retired. Every kid was leaving and bosco was going to run laps around everyone else. The next season seemed to work out ok for Mater Dei. 

I guess we will see.   Mater Dei will ultimately be judged by their success or lack there of vs. Big time out of state programs such as BG or STA and SJB.

1 hour ago, GeorgeW said:

I guess we will see.   Mater Dei will ultimately be judged by their success or lack there of vs. Big time out of state programs such as BG or STA and SJB.

Not really….. MD will be judged on League titles, Section Titles and State titles…. With all the Bunk polls out there now it is so watered down that no one takes a “National Title” in HSFB seriously….

All they have to do is Beat SJB and get kids to College….. They will do that, they have more $$ than any school that play's HSFB other than IMG…. MD will be just fine…..

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeW said:

They have upcoming things to resolve starting with finding and choosing the right qb to start the season . If they get that decision right , then the coaching change will go a lot smoother .  Team is still intact, unless there is  an exodus of players

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Not really….. MD will be judged on League titles, Section Titles and State titles…. With all the Bunk polls out there now it is so watered down that no one takes a “National Title” in HSFB seriously….

All they have to do is Beat SJB and get kids to College….. They will do that, they have more $$ than any school that play's HSFB other than IMG…. MD will be just fine…..

Please don’t be reasonable and logical. Mater Dei football is finished and will never win again. They said the same thing when Rollo retired and this season without him was a monumental failure. (13-1 state champions/ranked #1 in numerous polls) 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Edison69 said:

There is an ongoing challenge for programs to find a balance of higher character, hard working student athletes to pair with the sort of top athletes needed to have a roster able to compete with the national elite. The kinds of kids that typically attend Mater Dei are very motivated students from well-to-do backgrounds...who aren't "hard" in the "baller" way. Those types alone won't beat the big dawgs nationally. So, to truly be nationally elite, the school has had to attract a few players that wouldn't otherwise be welcome to attend the school. A few such types can put the team over the top talent-wise, while also benefitting themselves by attending a high quality school. Too many of those types will have deleterious effects on the culture and discipline of the program. De La Salle today (and Mater Dei and most/all of the Trinity league decades past) is an example of a program that has dropped off the national elite because they have mostly good students who aren't "hard". Other schools (like my alma mater in the present) attract plenty of "hard" "ballers" but often lack in the character and good student departments. These schools sometimes struggle to keep some top players academically eligible and appear to be poorly coached, when in reality the kids just don't have a disciplined and/or academic background. No school will always be able to perfectly strike this balance each and every year.

2 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

The way MD will eventually drop off is through maintaining higher standards on who is/isn't admitted. This will lead to some years where the team looks more like the rest of the OC Trinity League schools, DLS etc. Check what their teams looked like before 2015 or thereabouts. They'll be like that again. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing by any means...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, badrouter said:

There is an ongoing challenge for programs to find a balance of higher character, hard working student athletes to pair with the sort of top athletes needed to have a roster able to compete with the national elite. The kinds of kids that typically attend Mater Dei are very motivated students from well-to-do backgrounds...who aren't "hard" in the "baller" way. Those types alone won't beat the big dawgs nationally. So, to truly be nationally elite, the school has had to attract a few players that wouldn't otherwise be welcome to attend the school. A few such types can put the team over the top talent-wise, while also benefitting themselves by attending a high quality school. Too many of those types will have deleterious effects on the culture and discipline of the program. De La Salle today (and Mater Dei and most/all of the Trinity league decades past) is an example of a program that has dropped off the national elite because they have mostly good students who aren't "hard". Other schools (like my alma mater in the present) attract plenty of "hard" "ballers" but often lack in the character and good student departments. These schools sometimes struggle to keep some top players academically eligible and appear to be poorly coached, when in reality the kids just don't have a disciplined and/or academic background. No school will always be able to perfectly strike this balance each and every year.

De La Salle’s issue is not getting kids in, it’s getting kids to go there because it’s tough and hard work….

Also, with the prominence of Social Media, camps and all the recruiting stuff available to get kids to College, kids in Nor Cal don’t feel is necessary to go to DLS for their best opportunity to go to college and play FB….

They can go to a public school, not have to make such a commitment, not have to drive 30 min to an hour each way and not have to play by DLS’s rules….

Plus DLS won’t take FB transfers after their Sophomore year so that limits things as well…. But they also don’t get hardly any kids who want to transfer in there either…..

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, badrouter said:

The way MD will eventually drop off is through maintaining higher standards on who is/isn't admitted. This will lead to some years where the team looks more like the rest of the OC Trinity League schools, DLS etc. Check what their teams looked like before 2015 or thereabouts. They'll be like that again. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing by any means...

Not a bad thing at all. The next hire will be huge on determining how big the drop off is, if there is any at all. There is a huge commitment to football at Mater Dei. Some private schools across the country have figured out the balance, but I agree that entrance requirements shouldn’t be compromised because a kid is a good athlete. Despite those on here and elsewhere that want to paint the kids in a certain light, 99.9% of them are outstanding, take it seriously, and are grateful for the opportunity to be at Mater Dei. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1