George Curry Berwick PA

J T Curtis JT Curtis LA

Gary Joseph Katy TX

Mike Smith Hampton VA

George Smith STA FL

Frank Lenti Mt Carmel IL

Bruce Rollinson Mater Dei CA

Bill McGregor DeMatha MD

Wright Bazemore Valdosta ( yes, two from the same school)

This is a start.  I would vote Coach Lad 1, Gerry Faust 2, JT Curtis 3, Tom Knotts 4, Mike Pettine 5, Nick Hyder 5

Intetested in others’ opinions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Big hairy bald Jones said:

I made a thread on this.......

IMG_4897.PNG

I thought your thread was about current coaches.  (I must apologize because I’ve only read about half of the posts, assuming the coaches were current.) More than half of the ones I noted are retired, many starting their careers more than fifty years ago.  Perhaps this thread is inappropriate but I thought it would be interesting to discuss Faust, Pettine, Hyder, etc in the same thread with currrnt coaches.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigDrop said:

I thought your thread was about current coaches.  (I must apologize because I’ve only read about half of the posts, assuming the coaches were current.) More than half of the ones I noted are retired, many starting their careers more than fifty years ago.  Perhaps this thread is inappropriate but I thought it would be interesting to discuss Faust, Pettine, Hyder, etc in the same thread with currrnt coaches.

It's all good. Good thread 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I saw it but it excludes Faust (arguably Ohio’s best ever which led to Notre Dame), Pettine who Curry would not/did not play, McGregor .880 lifetime percentage and a local institution for 30 years.  Knotts and Lenti are both on there.

Knotts won a state title at three schools (West Charlotte-1, Indy-6 of their 7, and Dutch Fork 3 with the 2017).  Indy and DF were not very good when he took over but won state titles quickly (year one at Indy with only one starter not at the school the previous year when they went 5-5).  At Harding, his first coaching job, he led the smallest large classification school in the state to the state title (when there were only four) against the second largest school in NC.  Another big turnaround job there.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

I saw it but it excludes Faust (arguably Ohio’s best ever which led to Notre Dame), Pettine who Curry would not/did not play, McGregor .880 lifetime percentage and a local institution for 30 years.  Knotts and Lenti are both on there.

I'd give the Best HS Coach EVER in Ohio to Paul Brown...You've got to go back a ways, but he IS the STANDARD for HS Coaches in Ohio ...And the US...That's MHO!!!

B|

• Like 1

1 hour ago, American Male said:

I'd give the Best HS Coach EVER in Ohio to Paul Brown...You've got to go back a ways, but he IS the STANDARD for HS Coaches in Ohio ...And the US...That's MHO!!!

B|

Paul Brown was 80-8-2 with six state championships and four national titles in 9 years in the ‘30’s.  His impact on Ohio football in those nine years and the ones that followed is legendary.

• Thanks 1

Faust was 178-23-2 in 19 years at Moeller with four national championships in five years with a fifth coming the year he left for Notre Dame.  He also won, I believe, 86 out of 88 games with a half dozen state titles.  He also played national games at least once a year.

I saw Faust’s ‘80 Moeller team in person at the university of Cincinnati where they often filled the 25,000 plus seat stadium.

Chuck Kyle must also be mentioned at St, Ignatius especially in the ‘90’s.  I saw Iggy crush Berwick in Berwick in ‘96 or ‘97.

• Like 1

Dave Logan has won state championships at 4 different 5A schools in Colorado (3 public schools and 1 private). Best ever? I doubt it. Andy Lowry at Columbine high school has won 5 state championships, starting with his first one the year after the horrific school shooting. He lost in triple OT in this years' semifinals. Best ever? Doubt it too. But the way these two run their programs, I'm sure they'd be successful anywhere in the country.

“The number one goal is the impact you make in young people’s lives,” Lowry said. “When you take care of the kids and you try to build young people, the winning takes care of itself. Winning is never the ultimate goal by any means. It’s a product of doing things right with the kids. If you win, and you’re not developing quality young people, then winning is worthless.”

10 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Faust was 178-23-2 in 19 years at Moeller with four national championships in five years with a fifth coming the year he left for Notre Dame.  He also won, I believe, 86 out of 88 games with a half dozen state titles.  He also played national games at least once a year.

I saw Faust’s ‘80 Moeller team in person at the university of Cincinnati where they often filled the 25,000 plus seat stadium.

Chuck Kyle must also be mentioned at St, Ignatius especially in the ‘90’s.  I saw Iggy crush Berwick in Berwick in ‘96 or ‘97.

While Gerry Faust was a great HS Coach, he never accomplished what Paul Brown did at the next two levels...Before there were Woody and Urban...There was Paul Brown!!!

After the Rams left for Los Angeles, Paul Brown created The Cleveland Browns and proceeded to win all four titles in the newly formed AAFC before it and the NFL merged!!!

In his first year in the NFL, he won the title...And they played in six straight NFL Title Games...The Browns QB (Otto Graham), played in 10 straight Pro Football Title Games...Paul Brown created the passing game we have today in the NFL...Without his innovations, Pro Football is College Football 3 yards and a cloud of dust on steroids!!!

Paul Brown won State and National Titles in HS, National Titles in College, and World Titles in Two Pro Football Leagues!!!

B|

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, American Male said:

While Gerry Faust was a great HS Coach, he never accomplished what Paul Brown did at the next two levels...Before there were Woody and Urban...There was Paul Brown!!!

After the Rams left for Los Angeles, Paul Brown created The Cleveland Browns and proceeded to win all four titles in the newly formed AAFC before it and the NFL merged!!!

In his first year in the NFL, he won the title...And they played in six straight NFL Title Games...The Browns QB (Otto Graham), played in 10 straight Pro Football Title Games...Paul Brown created the passing game we have today in the NFL...Without his innovations, Pro Football is College Football 3 yards and a cloud of dust on steroids!!!

Paul Brown won State and National Titles in HS, National Titles in College, and World Titles in Two Pro Football Leagues!!!

B|

The best coach of all time is without a doubt Paul Brown. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Brown

F488DBAF-A209-4F80-9A54-014B24025D48.jpeg

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 1DayPGA said:

The best hs football coach ever is Molly McGrath. No Question about it. 

wildcats_movie_poster_1020261766.jpg.6206a56996902c0ad4a491d438918320.jpg

Wait, my bad. I thought it was best looking hs football coach ever. 9_9

wrong...Jesus when he coached for DSL...

lad.gif.55549082a8aa5e3564d305e50d152b10.gif

already made that joke but feel like this whole thread is a rerun...

3 hours ago, American Male said:

B|

Paul Brown is the greatest coach of all in Ohio football.  Period.

Gerry Faust was similarly successful in his years at Moeller.  So successful that Notre Dame hired him straight out of high school.  But he didn’t have an ounce of the success at Notre Dame or Akron that Paul Brown did after Massillon.  

I’m old...but not old enough to remember Paul Brown’s Massillon years.  (Yes, I saw Iggy play Massillon in a full stadium in the late ‘90’s.  Incredible atmosphere.  But not the ‘30’s😀).

17 hours ago, btango said:

Knotts won a state title at three schools (West Charlotte-1, Indy-6 of their 7, and Dutch Fork 3 with the 2017).  Indy and DF were not very good when he took over but won state titles quickly (year one at Indy with only one starter not at the school the previous year when they went 5-5).  At Harding, his first coaching job, he led the smallest large classification school in the state to the state title (when there were only four) against the second largest school in NC.  Another big turnaround job there.  

I sat on Indy’s side at the Herbstreit at UC when their 109 game winning streak ended in a loss to Elder.  The people around me-who had travelled to Cincinnati from Charlotte and several of whom had sons playing for Indy-loved Tom Knotts.  Incredible what he accomplished.

And, Dutch Fork came VERY close to winning on the road at Allen.  Deep respect.