Should children under 12 play tackle football?

Ararar

3 hours ago, TheBlockIsHot said:

I think tackle football this early should be banned. I mean look what happened to @GloryDays

Dude can barely formulate correct sentence structure on these forums, despite attending private school.

xD

Things are usually funnier when there is some truth to it.

Here's an example-

@TheBlockIsHot hasn't posted a correct fact... ever.

Also, Folsom schedules 10 wet noodles.

30 minutes ago, Ararar said:

CTE is a scaring thing and I’m sure I have a bit of it...but how do lawmakers who call republicans  fascist now try to tell parents what sports there kid could play? They should outlaw everything that could lead to CTE, bjj,  karate, taekwondo, wrestlers, youth boxing, soccer, hockey, cheerleading, lacrosse, jungle gym...

I don’t think it would pass bIt I can’t want for the first lawsuit that states this law is unfair to minorities and can impact a kids chance to make the NFL

On February 3, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Ararar said:

New York and Illinois don’t think so because of the risk of CTE to minors.They are introducing laws to prevent playing tackle until 12

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-football-concussions-youths-20180202-story.html

They should if they wanna be good, but the risks involved will sway parents away.    Now in the South or Texas that won't happen.  

Everything at the lumber yard, Home Depot and Lowes is known to cause cancer in the state of California.

Personally I think the Cali politicians are responsible for compromised immune systems in California creating cancer onset.

I agree that CTE issues are real and something must be done, but I'm skeptical in looking to our politicians for a fix.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Everything at the lumber yard, Home Depot and Lowes is known to cause cancer in the state of California.

Personally I think the Cali politicians are responsible for compromised immune systems in California creating cancer onset.

I agree that CTE issues are real and something must be done, but I'm skeptical in looking to our politicians for a fix.

i dont trust politicians with fixing the pot hole at the corner...no way i trust them with my sons brain health...

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2018 at 6:18 AM, Ararar said:

New York and Illinois don’t think so because of the risk of CTE to minors.They are introducing laws to prevent playing tackle until 12

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-football-concussions-youths-20180202-story.html

I didn't read through the thread, but my steadfast opinion is -- regardless which side of the fence someone is on -- legislating the choice away isn't the right answer. It's a personal decision every parent should be able to make for their child -- just like when they get to decide if/when to get them vaccinated, hand them a cell phone or keys to a car or teach them to shoot firearms.

With the exception of physical child abuse, the government shouldn't dictate how we raise our children. And they most certainly shouldn't legislate choices away from us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

Dr. Julian Bailes, who was the mentor of Dr. Bennett Olama -- the guy that discovered CTE -- has endorsed youth football and doesn't believe there's proof that playing up through youth/high school has long term effects.

All of the studies that have been done are limited in scope and open to interpretation by even the experts in the field. Doctors and nutrition experts can't even agree on proper diet even though that topic has been studied for centuries longer.

Like many other activities, we know that football can be dangerous and there are health risks involved. But the choice to participate should be left up to the individual and the parents that are responsible for them. Gov't need not get involved.

FWIW, the excerpt below is from Dr. Bailes and just goes to show how experts can disagree because there isn't a definitive answer.

Bailes pointedly disagreed with Omalu’s take on youth football, saying, “Certainly, you know, hitting your brain doesn’t do anybody any good. But there have been a lot of changes made at the youth football level. I think it is not scientifically accepted that the youth’s brain is necessarily more vulnerable than an adult brain.

“I don’t think the facts support that there are cases of CTE from youth football participation. And I don’t think the facts support that kids are suffering or being brain damaged from playing youth football as they had the last 50 years.”

He said playing football is and should be a personal choice.

“You know, as parents for instance we teach our kids a lot of things,” he said. “We teach them how to snow ski, how to snowboard, how to swim, how to hunt. We teach them about driving. We teach them a lot of sports and activities and so part of that is our responsibility to teach them the safe and right way to do it. But at the end of the day all these activities have potential risks.”

https://www.newsday.com/sports/foot...ian-bailes-endorses-youth-football-1.11214249