Should children under 12 play tackle football?

Ararar

9 minutes ago, Ararar said:

New York and Illinois don’t think so because of the risk of CTE to minors.They are introducing laws to prevent playing tackle until 12

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-football-concussions-youths-20180202-story.html

Children under 12 shouldn't post on here. 

So you should stop. Now. 

52 minutes ago, Ararar said:

New York and Illinois don’t think so because of the risk of CTE to minors.They are introducing laws to prevent playing tackle until 12

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-football-concussions-youths-20180202-story.html

Add to that......competitive dodgeball.

And I know I shouldn't post this...but...competitive chess scarred Hawgoneit for life.....

Rufus>>

• Haha 1

My son is 12 and I won’t let him play tackle despite him begging to do so. He currently plays flag. I tell him he is more than welcome to try football in high school.

But this is my personal choice as a parent and what I think is best for my child. I would hate for lawmakers to decide for me. Let the parents decide! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bodysurf said:

My son is 12 and I won’t let him play tackle despite him begging to do so. He currently plays flag. I tell him he is more than welcome to try football in high school.

But this is my personal choice as a parent and what I think is best for my child. I would hate for lawmakers to decide for me. Let the parents decide! 

Won't he be behind the 8 ball in HS since he won't know how to take a hit. We don't need less hitting in my opinion but more. You'll learn how to take a hit but that's my opinion

36 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Won't he be behind the 8 ball in HS since he won't know how to take a hit. We don't need less hitting in my opinion but more. You'll learn how to take a hit but that's my opinion

I agree that kids that have already played tackle prior to high school will be at a big advantage as a freshman. But I still think they are young enough where by the time they reach varsity as a junior or senior it wouldn’t matter if they played tackle or not before high school. Of course you have the few exceptional kids that shine as freshman and sophomores but these are the 1%. I have a different perspective since I know my kid won’t be getting a football scholarship and therefor don’t feel any pressure to have him play tackle now in order to gain the advantage going into high school.

46 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

I agree that kids that have already played tackle prior to high school will be at a big advantage as a freshman. But I still think they are young enough where by the time they reach varsity as a junior or senior it wouldn’t matter if they played tackle or not before high school. Of course you have the few exceptional kids that shine as freshman and sophomores but these are the 1%. I have a different perspective since I know my kid won’t be getting a football scholarship and therefor don’t feel any pressure to have him play tackle now in order to gain the advantage going into high school.

So basically he plays because he likes it which is good. Not everything has to be the scholarship chase which is what sports had become today. College has become so expensive that every athlete is part of the scholarship chase. Idk if it's the top 1%. Don't a lot of sophomore out there play varsity? And if he's playing football and have no chance at a scholarship in college is there another sport he can get a scholarship in? Just curious. As nolan Ryan stated in baseba today's pitchers don't throw enough. I ask the same about football. Do they not hit enough

Personally I wouldn't necessarily let my 8-9 year old play tackle football. 10-11, I probably would if the kid really wants to. I think the earlier they learn the fundamentals of tackle football the better off they'll be. 

I do think that we have to be better stewards for our kid's safety though. Used to be we would get excited when we see our kid make a big hit or whatever, and that shouldn't change, but armed with the knowledge of the damage concussions can cause at a young age, we really should be paying more attention after the big hits to make sure our kids are ok mentally rather than just applauding and letting them run back out groggy headed or whatever. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Btw your also blocking  your kid from experiencingsomething for himself 

Too extreme. Let parents decide what they will and will not allow kids to participate in. I know some youth sports ban certain things out of the sport, like heading the ball in soccer or cross-checking in hockey, but the nature of the sport of football is violent and there is no getting away from it. I don't care if its flag or touch football, there will be some collisions.

43 minutes ago, Griff said:

Too extreme. Let parents decide what they will and will not allow kids to participate in. I know some youth sports ban certain things out of the sport, like heading the ball in soccer or cross-checking in hockey, but the nature of the sport of football is violent and there is no getting away from it. I don't care if its flag or touch football, there will be some collisions.

Just like hockey should be violent. They are violent sports and we the people should love violent sports. Also heading the ball is part of soccer. If you don't want violent join chess

I agree whole heartedly it should be the parents choice. My oldest started playing tackle at the age of 7 but due to his bodies frame he was well suited compared to his competition. He is 15 now and it serverd him well to learn how to properly tackle. It also served him well as an outlet for aggression because he is one of the most non confrontational  kids you will ever meet until he straps a football helmet on and then it’s game on. One of his younger brothers is now 7 and played his first year of tackle this year. Unlike his brother he is a tiny kid tall and skinny. I found myself in a totally different set of shoes when he played this year and cringed in several instances when he got hit. It never phased him though the kid has the heart of a lion and is tough as nails. We do not have flag football for children over 6 here so I’m encouraging him to take up soccer until he get s a little older. He won’t hear of it though. I think it is a situational thing and should be the prents personal choice though.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 94Packer said:

I agree whole heartedly it should be the parents choice. My oldest started playing tackle at the age of 7 but due to his bodies frame he was well suited compared to his competition. He is 15 now and it serverd him well to learn how to properly tackle. It also served him well as an outlet for aggression because he is one of the most non confrontational  kids you will ever meet until he straps a football helmet on and then it’s game on. One of his younger brothers is now 7 and played his first year of tackle this year. Unlike his brother he is a tiny kid tall and skinny. I found myself in a totally different set of shoes when he played this year and cringed in several instances when he got hit. It never phased him though the kid has the heart of a lion and is tough as nails. We do not have flag football for children over 6 here so I’m encouraging him to take up soccer until he get s a little older. He won’t hear of it though. I think it is a situational thing and should be the prents personal choice though.

Amen

4 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

So basically he plays because he likes it which is good. Not everything has to be the scholarship chase which is what sports had become today. College has become so expensive that every athlete is part of the scholarship chase. Idk if it's the top 1%. Don't a lot of sophomore out there play varsity? And if he's playing football and have no chance at a scholarship in college is there another sport he can get a scholarship in? Just curious. As nolan Ryan stated in baseba today's pitchers don't throw enough. I ask the same about football. Do they not hit enough

He plays club baseball and is a pretty good lefty so there is potential for that.  But I still emphasize that the books come before baseball.

• Like 1