Daytona 500 overnight ratings lowest ever

HooverOutlaw

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

Last loved or hated driver was either Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr. Tickets are still very reasonable. You can get a ticket to Pocono to 25 bucks. Can bring your own alcohol into the track all day long. No other organization let's you do that. But the commercials are killing the sport. Too many commercials. As well as like you said restrictor plate racing sucks. Let them go as fast as they can. No reason to keep bringing all the cars back together. 

Sumbitchs get airborne at those higher speeds. Then again plate racing keeps it close and they wreck anyways, go figure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

NASCAR went corporate when Jeff Gordon came into his own it seemed. And what I mean by corporate is that it went away from the bang bang aggression and redneck flair and into a tout the company line lingo. 

It honestly started before then to some extent, but, mainly when Brian France took over for Bill Jr. is when it really started the direction that we see it today. 

Even Jeff Gordon was apt to run over to another driver and want to fight at times.

It's the points punishments and monetary fines that curtailed that part of it. It boils back to Brian France moving toward more family friendly main sponsors for the series overall and their demands of the series in order to be affiliated with it. Then you couple that with corporate sponsors for each team dominating the driver's schedules to the point where they don't have time to spend with the regular fans that keep the series going. 

If they got back to being available to casual fans like they once were, and like drag racing is today, I think they could see a resurgence in fans, but idk that. It just seems like that's one of the places that makes it more difficult for me to keep going to the races live, and I've never been one to watch every race, start to finish on the t.v. 

• Like 1

HawgGonelt, you make a lot of good and accurate points about NASCAR racing and Daytona in particular. Saw my first race on July 4, 1964, the Firecracker 400. It started at 10AM, to beat the HEAT & SUMMER SHOWERS ( Before TV and $$$ ). This also gave fans time to head home after the race (before 2PM) so they could go to work in the morning ( regardless of what day the 4th fell on that year ).  Multi-day ticket packages ( starting in the early '80's ) priced many of my homeboy diehard friends out of premium seats they had been sitting in for years watching the '500. These Friday, Saturday, and Sunday package deals had to be payed in full by August for the next year's Speed Weeks in February. So a single Roberts Tower seat might run you $250-300 for the weekend. In the 1980's that wasn't chump change for my local pack of 4-10 Daytona born young guys making $5-10 per hr. We'd have been hockey fans if we were born in Canada. Basketball if we lived in Boston or LA. Baseball in Atlanta or Chicago.Football, Dallas or Green Bay. Ticket prices chased most of us away years ago. The annual changing of the rules to give an advantage to a certain team and/or car manufactures wasn't fan friendly either. It's not untrue that the rules of NASCAR are really " WRITTEN IN SAND." Here today, gone tomorrow. Now add the big TV advertising dollars, with their unlimited and ungodly onslaught of poorly conceived commercials and what do you have ? Caution flags out the a$$. Non stop corny "good ole boy jabbering."  On-Air product plugs numbering in the dozens. Who can take that $hit for 4-6 hours every weekend ? When and if I flip on to a race it's usually not for very long. NASCAR has always been contrived racing from it's very beginning. Wrecks, bologna wrapper cautions ( that's another story for another day :) ), Lucky Dog BS, Stage racing, competition cautions, rule changes, etc,etc. Keep the boys close, throw some flags to sell concession goods then have a couple laps for a shootout. In sport or entertainment only in "Rassling" is there a bigger manipulation in final results then NASCAR racing.....HomeBoy's 2cents   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It honestly started before then to some extent, but, mainly when Brian France took over for Bill Jr. is when it really started the direction that we see it today. 

Even Jeff Gordon was apt to run over to another driver and want to fight at times.

It's the points punishments and monetary fines that curtailed that part of it. It boils back to Brian France moving toward more family friendly main sponsors for the series overall and their demands of the series in order to be affiliated with it. Then you couple that with corporate sponsors for each team dominating the driver's schedules to the point where they don't have time to spend with the regular fans that keep the series going. 

If they got back to being available to casual fans like they once were, and like drag racing is today, I think they could see a resurgence in fans, but idk that. It just seems like that's one of the places that makes it more difficult for me to keep going to the races live, and I've never been one to watch every race, start to finish on the t.v. 

Yup, good point and speaking of sponsors, Coke dominated the scene as far as soft drinks and dropped the ball on Jeff Gordon and lost the endorsement to Pepsi. Cataclysmic shift in my mind the sponsorship(s) weighed heavier than anything than what France Jr did.

Money talks, bullshit walks it seems or in our discussion fans walk.

17 hours ago, Fred said:

I believe there are several tracks in the northeast part of the county.  If you didn't/don't watch then you have no idea.  Last night there were 12 cars racing at 190 miles per hour.  You couldn't put a hand between front and back of most of the cars and you couldn't stand in between the side by side lines.  There is a ton of high level engineering in this sport.  The hand and eye coordination coupled with the reaction times required to be successful matches most any other sport out there.  I'd like to see a lot of the people that poo poo NASCAR try to sit in that car in the summer with temps running between 130-140+ for 4 hours and maintain the strength and degree of attention required.

Tricky Triangle at Pocono kicks ass!!!  Three different turns to navigate at over 140+mph.

12 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Last loved or hated driver was either Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr. Tickets are still very reasonable. You can get a ticket to Pocono to 25 bucks. Can bring your own alcohol into the track all day long. No other organization let's you do that. But the commercials are killing the sport. Too many commercials. As well as like you said restrictor plate racing sucks. Let them go as fast as they can. No reason to keep bringing all the cars back together. 

Pocono still kicks ass!!!  One of the better tracks, better venues, and better all around experiences for a NASCAR event.  Watkins Glenn is another great road course race track to be at.  Loudin in NH is fun as well, Dover is a beast so northeast NASCAR still has a lot to give.  Not always the drivers that make the sport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sausmann9 said:

Pocono still kicks ass!!!  One of the better tracks, better venues, and better all around experiences for a NASCAR event.  Watkins Glenn is another great road course race track to be at.  Loudin in NH is fun as well, Dover is a beast so northeast NASCAR still has a lot to give.  Not always the drivers that make the sport.

Im not a huge road course guy. My brother went to Dover. Said it was nice. I do love Pocono. The triangle gives people fit

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dan in daytona said:

HawgGonelt, you make a lot of good and accurate points about NASCAR racing and Daytona in particular. Saw my first race on July 4, 1964, the Firecracker 400. It started at 10AM, to beat the HEAT & SUMMER SHOWERS ( Before TV and $$$ ). This also gave fans time to head home after the race (before 2PM) so they could go to work in the morning ( regardless of what day the 4th fell on that year ).  Multi-day ticket packages ( starting in the early '80's ) priced many of my homeboy diehard friends out of premium seats they had been sitting in for years watching the '500. These Friday, Saturday, and Sunday package deals had to be payed in full by August for the next year's Speed Weeks in February. So a single Roberts Tower seat might run you $250-300 for the weekend. In the 1980's that wasn't chump change for my local pack of 4-10 Daytona born young guys making $5-10 per hr. We'd have been hockey fans if we were born in Canada. Basketball if we lived in Boston or LA. Baseball in Atlanta or Chicago.Football, Dallas or Green Bay. Ticket prices chased most of us away years ago. The annual changing of the rules to give an advantage to a certain team and/or car manufactures wasn't fan friendly either. It's not untrue that the rules of NASCAR are really " WRITTEN IN SAND." Here today, gone tomorrow. Now add the big TV advertising dollars, with their unlimited and ungodly onslaught of poorly conceived commercials and what do you have ? Caution flags out the a$$. Non stop corny "good ole boy jabbering."  On-Air product plugs numbering in the dozens. Who can take that $hit for 4-6 hours every weekend ? When and if I flip on to a race it's usually not for very long. NASCAR has always been contrived racing from it's very beginning. Wrecks, bologna wrapper cautions ( that's another story for another day :) ), Lucky Dog BS, Stage racing, competition cautions, rule changes, etc,etc. Keep the boys close, throw some flags to sell concession goods then have a couple laps for a shootout. In sport or entertainment only in "Rassling" is there a bigger manipulation in final results then NASCAR racing.....HomeBoy's 2cents   

Well said and a very nice history lesson. I stated following in'94, living in North Carolina at the time and avid race fans there, along with college basketball and tobacco. UFC was hot then, following it until it tapered off much like NASCAR but for different reasons.

I find it humorous that Atlanta started the idea of a NASCAR Hall of Fame then NASCAR got on board and started bidding it out.  Atlanta was going to put it next to Centennial Olympic Park where the Aquarium, College Football Hall of Fame and other attractions are.  Lots of convention goers in the area due to the World Congress Center.  Plenty of foot traffic for people to wander in.  Instead, NASCAR gave it to Charlotte "to be close to the driver teams."  At the time, Atlanta still had the spring and fall races and was reputed to be one of if not NASCAR's biggest single market.  Last I heard it was struggling and losing money hand over fist.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Most hated got to be Tony Stewart and Jimmy Spencer.... Jimmy Spencer more so. I hated Gordon but respected his ability. Dale Jr was the corporate type like Gordon but universally loved according to pundits... not me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Most hated got to be Tony Stewart and Jimmy Spencer.... Jimmy Spencer more so. I hated Gordon but respected his ability. Dale Jr was the corporate type like Gordon but universally loved according to pundits... not me.

Tony Stewart was certainly hated. Very arrogant. Always in fights but fun to watch. I was a Gordon guy. I hated Dale Jr. 

41 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Im not a huge road course guy. My brother went to Dover. Said it was nice. I do love Pocono. The triangle gives people fit

I was not a road course fan either until I went to Watkins Glenn, camped out for the weekend and had a great seat overlooking one of the final turns.  That road course is pretty cool up there as is Seneca Lake and Seneca Lodge and the entire area, ie worth the trip.  tickets were really cheap as well.

Just now, sausmann9 said:

I was not a road course fan either until I went to Watkins Glenn, camped out for the weekend and had a great seat overlooking one of the final turns.  That road course is pretty cool up there as is Seneca Lake and Seneca Lodge and the entire area, ie worth the trip.  tickets were really cheap as well.

Im sure its beautiful with the surrounding area but idk. I like the ovals. I like to see speed not guys making some crazy turn and having to break. I wanna get to Talladeaga. Its always been a bucket list place for me. One if not the fastest track in Nascar. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Jimmy Spencer a Berwick guy so we followed him A LOT when he was on the circuit.  Yeah he was arrogant and brash and seriously overweight for a driver but he liked excitement for sure.

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Im sure its beautiful with the surrounding area but idk. I like the ovals. I like to see speed not guys making some crazy turn and having to break. I wanna get to Talladeaga. Its always been a bucket list place for me. One if not the fastest track in Nascar. 

I got to Taladaga in 97' but we all went to tailgate while down at Maxwell AFB on a TDY.  That place was fucking CRAZY for that race!!!  Daytona is only one on the list I still havent got to that I want to.  Bristol was surprisingly awesome as well.  Dover is great, you will love that place.  Atlanta MS is pretty freakin awesome as well.  Always had fun up there but glad to be back near Pocono, its just a cool ass atmosphere up there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sausmann9 said:

I got to Taladaga in 97' but we all went to tailgate while down at Maxwell AFB on a TDY.  That place was fucking CRAZY for that race!!!  Daytona is only one on the list I still havent got to that I want to.  Bristol was surprisingly awesome as well.  Dover is great, you will love that place.  Atlanta MS is pretty freakin awesome as well.  Always had fun up there but glad to be back near Pocono, its just a cool ass atmosphere up there.

Im headed to Pocono for an Indy car race in August. My brother is headed to Pocono i believe in June for NASCAR.  Lets go racing boys. Nothing beats the atmosphere of a NASCAR race. Its an all day event. So much more to do than just watch the race. 

• Like 2