Daytona 500 overnight ratings lowest ever

HooverOutlaw

13 minutes ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Lol it’s the same lady lmao is there literally 1 woman

There used to be one that was immediately in the presence of the president at nearly all times. I think she lost her job when she muttered that she wasn't sure if she would take a bullet for the new guy. Not sure if it's that same chick though. Anyway, there are others if I'm not mistaken, she was just the one that caught attention for her reaction to Michelle kissing Barack so paparazi started trying to snap images of her. 

6 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Ratings in the south have dropped off more than any other place.  When your backbone fan base is leaving you have problems.

They took the races the fans loved away from the old tracks in the South, got all corporate and national in outlook, ticket prices went through the roof - it lost its soul.  It was never sustainable as a national sport.  People down here who used to watch every second might now not see a race for weeks.  The signature moment of the sport was Cale Yarborough and the Allisons swinging at each other on the backstretch of the Daytona 500.  That is all gone now.  The greatest recent driver was Jimmie Johnson and nobody really loves or hates him = DULL.

Edited by Bormio
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bormio said:

They took the races the fans loved away from the old tracks in the South, got all corporate and national in outlook, ticket prices went through the roof - it lost its soul.  It was never sustainable as a national sport.  People down here who used to watch every second might now not see a race for weeks.  The signature moment of the sport was Cale Yarborough and the Allisons swinging at each other on the backstretch of the Daytona 500.  That is all gone now.  The greatest recent driver was Jimmie Johnson and nobody really loves or hates him = DULL.

Last loved or hated driver was either Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr. Tickets are still very reasonable. You can get a ticket to Pocono to 25 bucks. Can bring your own alcohol into the track all day long. No other organization let's you do that. But the commercials are killing the sport. Too many commercials. As well as like you said restrictor plate racing sucks. Let them go as fast as they can. No reason to keep bringing all the cars back together. 

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:
2 hours ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Lol it’s the same lady lmao is there literally 1 woman

There used to be one that was immediately in the presence of the president at nearly all times. I think she lost her job when she muttered that she wasn't sure if she would take a bullet for the new guy. Not sure if it's that same chick though. Anyway, there are others if I'm not mistaken, she was just the one that caught attention for her reaction to Michelle kissing Barack so paparazi started trying to snap images of her. 

And yet LDT said there were none.  Jimmy Carter comes to my place of employment regularly and I've seen him around Atlanta a fair amount.  Over the years he has had several women SS agents assigned to him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Last loved or hated driver was either Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr. Tickets are still very reasonable. You can get a ticket to Pocono to 25 bucks. Can bring your own alcohol into the track all day long. No other organization let's you do that. But the commercials are killing the sport. Too many commercials. As well as like you said restrictor plate racing sucks. Let them go as fast as they can. No reason to keep bringing all the cars back together. 

I think ticket prices have dropped.  I also do not like the playoff - used to be all weeks mattered.  Now win a race or 2 and you are on cruise control til the playoff.  Most years the championship came down to the last week or 2 anyways.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bormio said:

I think ticket prices have dropped.  I also do not like the playoff - used to be all weeks mattered.  Now win a race or 2 and you are on cruise control til the playoff.  Most years the championship came down to the last week or 2 anyways.

Definitely don't like the playoff. Hate the tinkering around with qualifying even more though. 

They definitely should bring back the second Darlington race, and Rockingham. Get rid of some Michigan copycat track like Chicagoland or Kansas. 

• Like 1

Some tracks ticket prices have dropped. Some tracks, Daytona ahem ahem make fans buy multiple days of tickets to get the seats that they want, which equates to much more additional expense. Start finish line at Daytona pretty much requires buying tickets for the weekend rather than just Sunday. 

Hospitality or VIP type packages that are worth a darn are over 1000 bucks at Daytona, and you may still have to buy a two day package for a decent seat for the race. You may or may not ever get close enough to a driver to even get an autograph after spending that amount too. However, you may get to watch as a driver runs into a sponsor hospitality tent and does selfies and signs autographs for them. Pretty sad really. 

Going to check out Bristol this season. Was thinking about the spring race, but may put it off until the night race in August. Pocono is a bucket list track for me, along with Martinsville and Darlington. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It did start with trash talk from shine runners back in the prohibition days. Of course those were some rough ol' boys that were criminals, and, enter big money from sponsors, of course the sport had to drift away from rough ol' criminals which seems to be what Hoover Outlaw wants to have come back. 

If you bring back rough ol' criminals and turn the races back into full blown brawls, the sponsors will disappear and the drivers and teams will have to go back to paying for their own parts and cars, which was a big part of why there was fights to begin with. If I spent 10k out of my own pocket building a car after work every night and then put it on the track on Sunday, and some dumb ass criminal wrecks me intentionally and my 10k investment is a trash heap, damn right I'll quickly become a criminal too. Aggravated assault with a steering wheel or tire iron would be my charge. 

The world has advanced socially and left folks like Hoover Outlaw and HSFBfan behind. 

People like me find a way to evolve and still appreciate the sports that they are beginning to dislike due to "millenial snowflakes". The reality is folks like those two want to blame everything on "snowflakes", but the money is where the fault lies. There is just certain things that "brands" can't be a part of, which in some off hand way could get attributed to "snowflakes", but their angst is usually misdirected at the "snowflakes" when it's the brands that love the "snowflake's" money more than the redneck dinosaur criminal's money that the fault lies with. 

To add to my opinion from earlier, another part of NASCAR's decline is too many cookie cutter 1 1/2 mile tracks. Too damn many. I like racing and can't sit through all of the mile and a half races on television. To me, NASCAR was meant to be seen live, and television takes something important away from it. 

The good OLE boys are gone and so are the ratings.  If a true star on the level of Dale Sr came along sponsors would line up.  Damn right I'm dinosaur.  We need the Tim Richmonds and Cale Yarbroughs of the world.  NASCAR traded cowboy hats and chewing tobacco for sterile robot drivers with no personality and cars all being the same.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

The good OLE boys are gone and so are the ratings.  If a true star on the level of Dale Sr came along sponsors would line up.  Damn right I'm dinosaur.  We need the Tim Richmonds and Cale Yarbroughs of the world.  NASCAR traded cowboy hats and chewing tobacco for sterile robot drivers with no personality and cars all being the same.

And mile and a half tracks

18 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Some tracks ticket prices have dropped. Some tracks, Daytona ahem ahem make fans buy multiple days of tickets to get the seats that they want, which equates to much more additional expense. Start finish line at Daytona pretty much requires buying tickets for the weekend rather than just Sunday. 

Hospitality or VIP type packages that are worth a darn are over 1000 bucks at Daytona, and you may still have to buy a two day package for a decent seat for the race. You may or may not ever get close enough to a driver to even get an autograph after spending that amount too. However, you may get to watch as a driver runs into a sponsor hospitality tent and does selfies and signs autographs for them. Pretty sad really. 

Going to check out Bristol this season. Was thinking about the spring race, but may put it off until the night race in August. Pocono is a bucket list track for me, along with Martinsville and Darlington. 

One thing for sure, no wimpy-ass drivers won at Darlington.

• Like 1

I do like the Kentucky track. It was a welcome addition imo. I still miss seeing Rockingham. At least we do still get one Darlington race though. I haven't been to any of those tracks live so, just speaking from a television viewing experience. 

I love Talladega and Daytona. Since they changed how you have to buy seats at Daytona, I prefer Talladega, but before they started forcing you to buy two day packages at Daytona it was my favorite. Sitting just past the tri-oval or right at the flag stand and looking back at turn 4, the view of the cars coming off of turn 4 is surreal. The way they come off the banking and sit down into the track is crazy. It doesn't even look real or something. Very fun and amazing viewpoint. I don't really mind that they are restrictor plate tracks when I'm there live, but agree that the plate races are kind of boring on the tube along with all the copy cat mile and a half races. 

Talladega doesn't have that same transition from the banking so it doesn't have that same look, but for over all experience and price point, Talledega gives much more bang for the buck. 

I used to love Atlanta's spring race, especially seating in the back stretch, which is now gone. Had some great times sitting right behind the fence on the back stretch. Lot's of stuff happens back there as the cars come off of turn two, but they took those seats away and I haven't been back since. I may give it another try eventually though.