IMG has top 2 running backs;

sausmann9

how do they play them???  both in same time all game, series or two a piece, etc...  neither seem to be anything but excellent running backs so I don't see either at slot, wing, or quarterback in wildcat too much at all.

I didn't see any questions to the coach on how he might handle such a situation w/ two top ranked players at one position.

6 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

how do they play them???  both in same time all game, series or two a piece, etc...  neither seem to be anything but excellent running backs so I don't see either at slot, wing, or quarterback in wildcat too much at all.

I didn't see any questions to the coach on how he might handle such a situation w/ two top ranked players at one position.

Simple...play the one that gets hot (Georgia does...why can't they?)

5 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I say run some misdirection with them, but I don't think that's IMG's style.  

Oh yeah 

I meant if i only had one on the field at a time

If i had 2 backs like that i would consider wing T or Maybe triple option offense if i have a smart qb who can move and keep defense honest with potential for option pass

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

Oh yeah 

If i had 2 backs like that i would consider wing T or Maybe triple option offense if i have a smart qb who can move and keep defense honest with potential for option pass

STA had a ton of sets with White and Bernard.   Fake dive toss left , dive with a fake toss outside etc, fake handoff right option left etc etc.   Make the D account for both studs!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

Oh yeah 

You don't just install the wing t or triple option in one off-season, at least not successfully. Both take a lot of practice and timing to create the deception that make those offenses effective. That's not a smart idea for IMG considering the limited amount of time their players are on the team.

To me, a pro style offense is best suited for IMG. They have enough talent to overwhelm opponents without being too creative. It simplifies the playbook making it easier for players to learn with the constant turnover on the roster.

Having so many playmakers at once seems to have hurt IMG on some occasions. You could tell they were trying to force things in order to spread the ball around. The second game against Cen10 was a prime example.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

You don't just install the wing t or triple option in one off-season, at least not successfully. Both take a lot of practice and timing to create the deception that make those offenses effective. That's not a smart idea for IMG considering the limited amount of time their players are on the team.

To me, a pro style offense is best suited for IMG. They have enough talent to overwhelm opponents without being too creative. It simplifies the playbook making it easier for players to learn with the constant turnover on the roster.

Having so many playmakers at once seems to have hurt IMG on some occasions. You could tell they were trying to force things in order to spread the ball around. The second game against Cen10 was a prime example.

That is a very good point you bring up there and truthfully that and the overall cockiness of IMG are their biggest flaws 

It will be what eventually ends their winning streak 

21 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

That is a very good point you bring up there and truthfully that and the overall cockiness of IMG are their biggest flaws 

It will be what eventually ends their winning streak 

It's the very reason why they appear to be so vanilla on offense annually. They don't have to dig deep in the playbook to put up enough points for their defense.

This MD team will be their toughest challenge to date because they will be able to match them in talent with the starting 22. If the Monarchs can stay healthy they will have a great shot, if not, IMG's depth will take over.

As loaded as Grayson was in 2016, they were still outmanned in terms of star talent, and having a new coach as well was too much to overcome so early in the season.

1 hour ago, CCBlackhatter said:

It's the very reason why they appear to be so vanilla on offense annually. They don't have to dig deep in the playbook to put up enough points for their defense.

This MD team will be their toughest challenge to date because they will be able to match them in talent with the starting 22. If the Monarchs can stay healthy they will have a great shot, if not, IMG's depth will take over.

As loaded as Grayson was in 2016, they were still outmanned in terms of star talent, and having a new coach as well was too much to overcome so early in the season.

It's best to catch img early when they have little to no team chemistry 

What will help mater Dei is they should be gelled by time they play img and while img will as well they will be able to match img in talent which will be a unusual situation for img who despite playing elite teams have rarley lined up against a team who can match them talent wise 

But i feel mater Dei has a coaching edge in this game which should be deciding factor 

• Like 2

On 4/19/2018 at 1:27 PM, sausmann9 said:

Last year they had 2 D1 QB’s. A preferred walk on for Minnesota finished the season as the starter over a Rutgers commit.  

Compared to this?  No issue whatsoever imo.  

On 4/20/2018 at 12:08 AM, Columbiafan said:

What will help mater Dei is they should be gelled by time they play img and while img will as well they will be able to match img in talent which will be a unusual situation for img who despite playing elite teams have rarley lined up against a team who can match them talent wise 

But i feel mater Dei has a coaching edge in this game which should be deciding factor 

Dude - IMG has more top end talent than MD.  If IMG comes to play they will win this game.

On 4/20/2018 at 12:08 AM, Columbiafan said:

MD doesn’t have any better talent this year than few team IMG played last year.  

I hope IMG stomps mud hole in MD!

On 4/19/2018 at 10:52 PM, 954gator said:

Central was killing it last year with multiple backs.    When they had Yearby and Cook it was nasty. 

You don't need to run a full on option offense like the Veer or wingT to utilize a couple backs. 

regarding both STA and MC that you mentioned; did either (or both) teams have that many 4 and 5 star receivers as well???  I honestly don't/can't remember what other studs they had but  In MC's case, having two awesome running backs was great b/c they didn't have to spread the ball around to the receivers if i remember correctly.  If IMG doesn't pass, is it possible they lose out on receivers in the future that think IMG is only going to run the ball???

45 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

regarding both STA and MC that you mentioned; did either (or both) teams have that many 4 and 5 star receivers as well???  I honestly don't/can't remember what other studs they had but  In MC's case, having two awesome running backs was great b/c they didn't have to spread the ball around to the receivers if i remember correctly.  If IMG doesn't pass, is it possible they lose out on receivers in the future that think IMG is only going to run the ball???

Sta had studs at WR and TE that year as well.    4star WR Dwayne Difton, 4 star WR Duron Carter, NFL WR Philip Dorsett, and NFL TE Gabe Holmes.    Difton seemed like the best senior WR to me at the time, but no idea what happened to him.  Carter had a stint in the NFL but had a lot of off the field issues.  Dorsett and Holmes I think are still playing in the league.

• Like 1