Coach Alumbaugh Q&A

PrepGridiron

On April 24, 2018 at 4:59 PM, Coach Alumbaugh said:

This is a common question I get, and the answer is not one that people expect to hear.  As a coach, I absolutely despise when our linemen don’t come to a complete set before getting off of the ball. A lot of teams think we have our linemen starting in an up position so we can roll into a start; that is not the case.  They start up because our blocking relies on a counting system, so they get a better view of who to block from that position.  The reason why the rolling start aggravates me so much is it causes our linemen to lunge out of their stance.  What this means is they take a giant first step, which is the antithesis of what we teach.  We want a quick, powerful 6 inch first step.  When our line rolls into their footwork, our blocks are normally not sustained at all because they are lunging.  That being said, we train our line to be quick, fast, and aggressive with literally everything we do; because of that, our line (and our QB’s, for that matter) often get overly aggressive or anxious to get off the ball.

Dear Coach,

Thank you for participating in our forum.   We appreciated the " look behind the veil" which you have provided for our members.  We wish you much success in the upcoming season, and may your next child be a masculine child. 

P.S. Please get an avatar.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

-The Comish

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Comish said:

Dear Coach,

Thank you for participating in our forum.   We appreciated the " look behind the veil" which you have provided for our members.  We wish you much success in the upcoming season, and may your next borne be a masculine baby.  

P.S. Please get an avatar.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

-The Comish

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Wish somebody would have asked Coach A if there had been any thought in hosting the Folsom game this season at DVC or some larger venue than Owens Owens. It's gonna be a shame if more fans can't attend that game.

Yep

i got a PM a couple of days ago asking me whether I thought tickets needed to be secured in advance...... YES!

the last 2 games between these 2 teams had about 3x the capacity at Owen Owens

I think it will be less in Bay Area due to sophisticated apathy but game will be sold out before game day if at OO

On 4/30/2018 at 12:11 PM, Pops said:

Yep

i got a PM a couple of days ago asking me whether I thought tickets needed to be secured in advance...... YES!

the last 2 games between these 2 teams had about 3x the capacity at Owen Owens

I think it will be less in Bay Area due to sophisticated apathy but game will be sold out before game day if at OO

Would like to catch that game on a stream if possible.  will have to check closer to season start.  Obviously I am curious to see if Folsom can match the physical play of DLS along the line of scrimmage.

• 2 weeks later...

Great insight into DLS. The Spartans have had a ton of success in the past. A Smart Coach breeds success into his team, and his staff. Alumbaugh seems like a smart coach. I can't imagine seeing DLS slipping much in the future as a program. You know it's going to be a good game anytime they play a top team. Anyone that knows me is aware that I've always liked DLS as a program. You can see why from this interview.

I've enjoy all the Q&A's Prep has hosted. One can only hope for more in the future.   

• Like 3