Coach Alumbaugh Q&A

PrepGridiron

1 minute ago, Coach Alumbaugh said:

Classic.  I will say this- if I had 4 Glory's lining up in mid August on the defensive line against Folsom, I'd be a happy man.  Prep has a different claim though- I'm 0-1 hitting on him lifetime, which he reminds me of about every Sunday at morning hoops.

This is gold. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Most disappointing loss for me was Trinity in Texas.  Don't get me wrong- those guys were better than us on that night and deserved to win.  It was just such a great opportunity to make a statement, and we didn't capitalize.  It is one of those games I feel I let the kids down and didn't do my job as their head coach.  We didn't play well enough to win, and that's on me.

Most satisfying win was probably 2014 Centennial, just because we battled so much adversity and came away with a great state title over an incredible team.  That was gratifying as a coach to watch- our boys played their tails off.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Coach Alumbaugh said:

We would absolutely love to play a FL team again.  Those were great experiences (despite the two losses).  Those were great teams we played, so we'd like to have the opportunity again.  We've been in talks over the years, but I'm confident it will get done.

As for talent- we spend most of our time in CA, so we naturally see more talent from exposure here. But the STA team was incredible, as was the Lakeland team.  Euless Trinity had great guys too.  Last years St. Johns team had one of the best collections of talent I've seen as well.  We've been so many places its hard to pinpoint one state, but the obvious ones of FL and Texas come to mind.  We haven't played every state so its a limited view.

Thank you for answering 

Follow up question if you have a chance 

Any particular FL team you all may want to play

I might get some guys angry, but the best team to me was 2003.  The athleticism, toughness, and grit of those guys was something else. They were just the epitome of Spartan football to me.  I always get asked that and people respond with "what about 98, 99, or 01, or 2014?"  My response is always the same- I can't argue with those teams either.  They have a claim, no doubt.  I just thought 03 was the most complete team we've had.

Any of the best teams we've had at DLS could compete with any team we've played.  That doesn't mean we'd for sure win or lose- it just means if you take the best teams DLS has had against 2017 MD, or 09 DBP, etc, the game would be incredible and competitive from both sides.  The high level of play from all of those teams in question was so high that you can't really say for sure who'd come out on top.  But I always love the chances of a great Spartan team.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Almost 70% of our kids compete in multiple sports.  I played baseball and football at DLS back in the 90's, and I loved it.  I think too frequently kids focus on one sport when they can be doing multiple things.  We even have 3 swimmers this year.  The requirements for our football program are simple- you have to drive iron, you have to be a good citizen, and you have to be accountable.  If you do that- you have a place in our program.  If not, you don't.  Its up to the adults who coach the sports to figure out a schedule that allows kids to do multiple sports in my opinion. 

• Like 6

We like having the schedule completed by our banquet in late January.  Just less headaches if we can.  The Folsom game took a lot of moving parts, but I'm very happy it got done.  That is a game that absolutely should happen.  I hate the fact that the NorCal Open game isn't around anymore- those were fun games, and good for the kids and high school football fans.

East falling through was brutal, but 100% no fault of either side.  Those games are priced out by travel agents to a tee months in advance, but you often can't secure 90+ tickets until 4,5,6 months out.  Both sides even tried to get the game in Concord, but the logistics became infeasible.  That being said- I'm very hopeful and confident we will play them in the very near future.

• Like 2

We've played CC 5 times, and I can honestly say it is an absolute nightmare.  Coach Logan is one of the best.  Preparing for those guys is so hard.  They honestly run about 8 plays, but they run them to perfection with incredible athletes.  The worst part is planning against them- the 8 plays they run are all counters to a specific defense that you design to stop one of their other plays.  Its like playing Russian roulette- you are hoping you guessed right.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6