Random Georgia News

ECHS05

3 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Nice matchups! Really interested in how Marietta does at Rome. Also, Colquitt Co./McEachern. 

As far as how interested I am in them...

1a. Marietta @ Rome - this is about as good as it gets... 2× Defending 5A State Champ on a 27 game winning streak... Vs.... One of the hottest, most talented, young up-and-coming teams in Georgia. Theyll probably start out Top 3 in 7A and Top 5 statewide in every poll. This is a big time game in GA, on Thursday, August 16th at Romes Barron Stadium.... 

My Pick: Toss Up --- I have NO idea who wins.. Gun to my head ... Marietta 24, Rome 23

-----

1b. East Coweta vs Kell - I have to have this one up there, its my alma mater!! East Coweta plays a tough out of region schedule, so this one is a must win , but Kell is definitely no gimme. We should be improved under 2nd year HC John Smalls.

My Pick: East Coweta 28, Kell 21

-----

3. McEachern vs. Colquitt Co. - Another of a great schedule of CKKC games... Colquitts season will ride on QB Jaycee Hardens progress throughout the year...  luckily he has 2 very good RBs in Ty Leggett & Daijun Edwards to take the pressure off while he gets comfortable with the offense. The "Blackhat" defense appears to be top notch again this season. Obviously, Colquitt will be right back in the thick of it this season...

McEachern brings back 6 on offense, including rising sophomore QB Carlos Del Rio, 3* RB Paris Brown, and 4* WR Javon Baker... They lose 3 of 5 on the OL, but McEachern is always pretty good in the trenches... Essentially the offense will be good, but the defense only brings back 3 starters, so there will be some young inexperience...McEachern is usually strong on D, so I cant see them going too far in the opposite direction, but McEachern may have a tough time slowing down Colquitts 2 headed monster at RB... Both Colquitt & McEachern seem to really turn it on come playoff time, as both are fixtures in the Quarterfinal-Semifinal rounds every year...

My Pick: Colquitt Co. 34, McEachern 21

-----

4. Archer vs. Milton - Milton loses a little more than I originally thought, one of the more worrisome losses is their RB, as he seemed to be the only RB they really had with any sort of real rushing yards (192 carries, 1250 yards, 6.5 ypc) and his last name was Vanhorse so you know he could run the football...Milton is losing a lot along the OL and DL also. But they do have their 3* Dual-threat QB Jordan Yates, Yates passed for over 2000 yards and ran for over 1000 also... He loses his top pass catcher but brings back his #2 and #3 receivers. Essentially, Milton only brings back 4 starters on O.. But the coach seems to think theyll be fine. They will be entering their 2nd season under HC Adam Clack, who had a very successful 1st season going 9-3 before losing 28-23 to Brookwood in the 2nd rd.

Milton plays a Top 3-5 FL team in Cardinal Gibbons Week 2 in the Freedom Bowl... How they do vs. Archer will tell us a lot about how they'll fare against Cardinal Gibbons August 31st...

As far as Archer, the offense was their kryptonite last year... Their defense was Championship caliber, probably the best in Georgia right there with Romes... But the offense should be improved with QB Carter Peevy coming back for his 3rd year starting under center. Their defensive front 7 was as good as it gets anywhere last year, if the D can come even close to what it was last season... Then watch out because Archer is a serious State Title contender... Their 5* CB/WR Andrew Booth is one of my favorite players to watch, I expect him to have another big year...

This game will tell A LOT about both teams, this is a big time matchup...

My Pick: Archer 23, Milton 14

-----

5. Walton vs. Mill Creek - In HC Daniel Brunners' 1st season, he took Walton from a 4-6 afterthought, to being one of the best teams in GA finishing 11-1, only losing to eventual 7A Runner Up Colquitt Co. 28-21 in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Walton was also the only team to beat State Champion North Gwinnett also, 31-28 in last years CKKC. ..Walton brings back mostly all of its skill position players, and loses almost all of its OL & DL players. Their offense should be one of the best in Georgia. With 3* QB Austin Kirksey (139-of-232 (59.9%), 2475 yards, 22 TD/6 INT), 5* WR Dominick Blaylock (1266 All-Purpose Yards, 17 TDs), WR Kendall Alford (35 rec., 600 yards), RB D.J. Soyoye (1193 rushing yards)... All returning, if the OL plays halfway decent, Walton will be a serious State Title threat. Walton set a school record in total yards, and offensive PPG last season... Id expect them to break that record again.

Mill Creek took a step back last season from the last 2 years... Their DC, Bill Stewart, left after the 2016 season and took over at North Gwinnett taking them to a State Title in his 1st season... Losing Stewart clearly took a toll on MC. They were still pretty good, but not up to their 2015-2016 standards... This season should be about the same, maybe a little better than last year. MC finished 8-4 losing to Archer in the 2nd rd 16-10... Their other 3 losses were to State Champ North Gwinnett 35-21, a 16-13 regular season loss to Archer, and a 20-17 loss to a surprising Mountain View team. So MC wasnt far off... They will be a 7A Top 8-12 type team...MC plays hard, and they always play tough defense... No one will beat them badly, but I dont see them beating Walton...

My Pick: Walton 28, Mill Creek 20

-----

6. Brookwood vs. North Gwinnett - This ones a little further down the list because I think Brookwood falls off a little bit from last season. Coming into last year their offense had a lot of hype, with QB Despigna, WR Matthew Hill, RB Dante Black, an experienced OL... All those are gone. Brookwood will be a mainstay at the top in the long haul, but this wont be one of their better years... They could still make a little noise, but this looks like a 1st or 2nd rd exit type of year for them...

On the flip side, North Gwinnett is gearing up for another State Title run...they need to find another QB, and losing OLB Jayden McDonald was huge because he was the best player in Georgia during the playoffs IMO, he was ALL over the field and you cant watch a North Gwinnett playoff game without seeing #8 every play while NG was on defense. 

NG brings back 8 on offense and 6 on defense, 3 in the secondary, all of which are FBS caliber players. The offense is loaded at WR, the OL is strong, and with 3* Tyler Goodson returning at RB... North Gwinnetts offense will be potent if the QB comes along. 

My Pick: North Gwinnett 38, Brookwood 17

-----

7. Buford vs Tucker - Buford went 11-2, their 2 losses were to nationally ranked South Pointe SC 33-27, and to nationally ranked Rome GA 45-7 in the 5A Semifinals... Rome handed Buford their worst loss in 44 years. Bufords entering its 2nd season under Coach John Ford and should be much improved with an experienced Aaron McLaughlin under center. Tucker went 12-2 losing to Coffee 14-3 in the 6A Semifinals, Tucker lost a TON of talent... More than any other team in Georgia really... Tucker always has some horses in the stables though... But it wont be enough to beat a much improved Buford team... Buford has the most senior talent in GA behind Grayson

This game would be higher, but I think thisll be a slight down year for Tucker... Buford will win.

My Pick: Buford 31, Tucker 14

-----

8. Norcross vs. Mays - Norcross returns 6 on O, and 3 on D.. But I honestly havent heard much about either team this offseason... Based off what each team has done the last 2-3 years, and what each team brings back in terms of FBS talent... Id going to give Norcross the slight nod...

My Pick: Norcross 27, Mays 24

-----

9. Ridgeland vs Calhoun - Ridgeland finished 11-1 in 4A and ppears to be on the up and upe, and Calhoun finished 14-1 winning the 3A State Championship in controversial fashion beating Peach Co. 10-6 ... Calhoun should be just as good if not better this year... Ridgelands improving as a program and wont go down without a fight though

My Pick: Calhoun 24, Ridgeland 10

3 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Colquitt would be the only team last year to beat Rome imo. This year? The shut up you’re looking for won’t be as satisfying. Entire D-line is gone and a 5* dB also off last years team. 

North Gwinnett 4th best team behind  Colquitt, Rome,  Lowdnes.... I think Buford would give North a competitive battle, toss up would win imo. 

North Gwinnett is going to be as good as last year, IMO. They bring back 3 from that OL, all of their WRs, and 3* RB Tyler Goodson .. Plus that backup RB #31, forget his name. All they need to replace is their QB and their offense is set.

The only player the defense cant replace was OLB Jayden McDonald. He had one of the best overall playoff performances Ive ever seen... #8 was in on EVERY single tackle. If you watch any of their playoff games vs Grayson(youtube), Marietta (nfhsnetwork), McEachern(gpb.org) or Colquitt (gpb.org) ... Hes everywhere. 

Anyway.. The rest of their D will be fine ... They return 3 of 4 DBs and all 3 are FBS guys.

North Gwinnett will be right there again for the 7A State Title.

This may be one of GAs best years ever in term of top teams and depth. North Gwinnett, Rome, Blessed Trinity, Colquitt, Archer, Walton, Buford, Grayson, Marietta, etc.. Can all be elite level teams... Yes I said Blessed Trinity... Then you have teams like Milton, McEachern, Lowndes, Hillgrove, Cedar Grove, Warner Robins, ELCA, etc...

Those are high level depth teams... There could be 16-17 Top 100 teams from Georgia this season...not an exaggeration... Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration.

But the depth this season will be sick. I left out quite a few teams expected to be pretty good.... 

11 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Not trying to stray too far off topic, and I know it's early on, but, who do you got in the Marietta/Rome match-up then? Just for curiosity's sake. 

Marietta, at the expense of weakening my loyalty to Buford.

I predict a shootout, I think the losses on the defensive side of the ball for Rome will make Rome play out of their comfort zone.

But being at Rome, they could pull it off.

31-28 Marietta.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

North Gwinnett is going to be as good as last year, IMO. They bring back 3 from that OL, all of their WRs, and 3* RB Tyler Goodson .. Plus that backup RB #31, forget his name. All they need to replace is their QB and their offense is set.

The only player the defense cant replace was OLB Jayden McDonald. He had one of the best overall playoff performances Ive ever seen... #8 was in on EVERY single tackle. If you watch any of their playoff games vs Grayson(youtube), Marietta (nfhsnetwork), McEachern(gpb.org) or Colquitt (gpb.org) ... Hes everywhere. 

Anyway.. The rest of their D will be fine ... They return 3 of 4 DBs and all 3 are FBS guys.

North Gwinnett will be right there again for the 7A State Title.

This may be one of GAs best years ever in term of top teams and depth. North Gwinnett, Rome, Blessed Trinity, Colquitt, Archer, Walton, Buford, Grayson, Marietta, etc.. Can all be elite level teams... Yes I said Blessed Trinity... Then you have teams like Milton, McEachern, Lowndes, Hillgrove, Cedar Grove, Warner Robins, ELCA, etc...

Those are high level depth teams... There could be 16-17 Top 100 teams from Georgia this season...not an exaggeration... Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration.

But the depth this season will be sick. I left out quite a few teams expected to be pretty good.... 

I don't think North is all that bro, I wasn't impressed at all. But noted your opine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I don't think North is all that bro, I wasn't impressed at all. But noted your opine.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Colquitt on one of their more down years in the past 5, all but knocked them off. 

If they're "just as good as last year", they have some catching up to do. A few teams are likely very improved from last year. At least talent-wise anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Colquitt on one of their more down years in the past 5, all but knocked them off. 

If they're "just as good as last year", they have some catching up to do. A few teams are likely very improved from last year. At least talent-wise anyway. 

I thought Lowndes, Walton and Archer were the (3) best teams last year...BUT...you gotta prove it on the field.  

NO LAPSES !!!!!

Rufus>>

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

I thought Lowndes, Walton and Archer were the (3) best teams last year...BUT...you gotta prove it on the field.  

NO LAPSES !!!!!

Rufus>>

I can get on board with Lowndes and Walton. 

Archer didn't have enough offense. Of course, they didn't really need much offense either though, so I see your point.

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Archer didn't have enough offense. Of course, they didn't really need much offense either though, so I see your point.

Well...your point on Archer is valid.  I mean....they couldn't even beat Ryan Fitzgerald....(Smile).  But like I posted somewhere....personally, I think that was one of the best games the Hawgs have played in a long, long time.  The Blackhats were SPECTACULAR !!!!

Rufus>>

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

Well...your point on Archer is valid.  I mean....they couldn't even beat Ryan Fitzgerald....(Smile).  But like I posted somewhere....personally, I think that was one of the best games the Hawgs have played in a long, long time.  The Blackhats were SPECTACULAR !!!!

Rufus>>

I think the Archer game was great. @Rufus69  @BUFORDGAWOLVES @HawgGoneIt @ECHS05 @TheMaximumHornetStinglet me pose you another question..... If Colquitt hadn't had Fitzgerald and Archer hadnt had Blaylock what would the outcome have been? I think the Blaylock kid played offense, defense, special teams, was a cheerleader between plays, led the band during halftime, drove the team bus, and sold concessions in his spare time. That kid was EVERYWHERE

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

How would we know if lowndes is truly elite when they dodge so many good teams 

How many non conference games did they play against good teams? 

17 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

How would we know if lowndes is truly elite when they dodge so many good teams 

How many non conference games did they play against good teams? 

Erm, not to be a dick or anything, but, they play some pretty good teams too. 

As far as non-conference games go, who really gives a shit besides you? 

They play good to elite competition in region and the playoffs. If they are beating or playing well with good to elite competition at any point, it basically says they are good to elite as well. 

The rest is all fluff.

34 minutes ago, 94Packer said:

I think the Archer game was great. @Rufus69  @BUFORDGAWOLVES @HawgGoneIt @ECHS05 @TheMaximumHornetStinglet me pose you another question..... If Colquitt hadn't had Fitzgerald and Archer hadnt had Blaylock what would the outcome have been? I think the Blaylock kid played offense, defense, special teams, was a cheerleader between plays, led the band during halftime, drove the team bus, and sold concessions in his spare time. That kid was EVERYWHERE

I think Colquitt would have found a way to win either way. 

Archer simply didn't have enough offense to beat Colquitt, with their all star. Without him, they would have probably given up an offensive score one of those times that Colquitt was knockin' on the door.

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Erm, not to be a dick or anything, but, they play some pretty good teams too. 

As far as non-conference games go, who really gives a shit besides you? 

They play good to elite competition in region and the playoffs. If they are beating or playing well with good to elite competition at any point, it basically says they are good to elite as well. 

The rest is all fluff.

What it also says is the only time they face good teams is when they are forced to 

Im so sick of teams who want to pretend they got guts and then go play someone oos who is garbage then act like they beat a powerhouse 

It's a load of bullshit, don't play oos if you don't have the balls to prove yourself

If Georgia teams seriously still feel teams like Leon and Lincoln are FL elites they need to get their head out of the 80s sitcom and face reality 

Leon hasn't been anything since like the 80s and Lincoln hasn't been elite in a decade 

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

What it also says is the only time they face good teams is when they are forced to 

So. 

Does that make them not elite or good? 

The only way I see that affecting them is in some polls. They don't have anyone on here begging for them to be ranked. They don't really step out into the deep water to try proving they deserve to be ranked either. 

They are generally a coat tail rider type team in the rankings. They get the benefit of playing other teams that stretch their necks more than Lowndes, and receive their rankings nationally according to that usually. 

It is what it is. 

We can cry. Piss and moan. Whatever. It isn't changing that they will still be ranked if they are good-elite, because they will play enough teams that connect to enough teams that do prove it. 

2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Im so sick of teams who want to pretend they got guts and then go play someone oos who is garbage then act like they beat a powerhouse 

It's a load of bullshit, don't play oos if you don't have the balls to prove yourself

If Georgia teams seriously still feel teams like Leon and Lincoln are FL elites they need to get their head out of the 80s sitcom and face reality 

Leon hasn't been anything since like the 80s and Lincoln hasn't been elite in a decade 

Nobody on here pretends those teams are good or elite. I'm thinking you are pissing in the wind trying to drive an agenda that is tired and useless.

Just now, Columbiafan said:

Nobody has stated such.

You and Nolebull have created this false narrative of a GA team beating an inferior FL foe and subsequently claiming they beat a powerhouse.

It appears your entire life revolves this shit, it's time to grow up kid.

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

So. 

Does that make them not elite or good? 

The only way I see that affecting them is in some polls. They don't have anyone on here begging for them to be ranked. They don't really step out into the deep water to try proving they deserve to be ranked either. 

They are generally a coat tail rider type team in the rankings. They get the benefit of playing other teams that stretch their necks more than Lowndes, and receive their rankings nationally according to that usually. 

It is what it is. 

We can cry. Piss and moan. Whatever. It isn't changing that they will still be ranked if they are good-elite, because they will play enough teams that connect to enough teams that do prove it. 

So they stay healthy and wait to beat a beat up GA team who actually plays good teams?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Nobody has stated such.

You and Nolebull have created this false narrative of a GA team beating an inferior FL foe and subsequently claiming they beat a powerhouse.

So what are they accomplishing by playing them?  Can they not find a homecoming opponent from GA or do those weaker teams in GA just don't want to play them? 

49 minutes ago, 94Packer said:

That free kick was so out the box and really speaks volumes to y’alls program.  Ballsy and gamer move, even the talent demonstrates when the lights are on..... it’s a different deal. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see Blaylock but there was plenty buzz as to the special talent he was, I think the band reviews were mixed but that’s....

Okay. 

Regards

BufordGaWolves

7 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Nobody has stated such.

To be fair I've stated similar things about other teams (Brentwood academy for one) 

The reason GA comes up so often is because the most oos matchups for FL is (no surprise) against GA schools